main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What do you want Luke to be

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jimmy92186, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    The Force Awakens was definitely not what I would have done with the movies. That is probably because I have read so much of the EU which clouded the possibilities for me. But I loved it so I'm not complaining. Luke was always my favorite character. The question on my mind, and a lot of other people's I'm guessing, is where will Luke fit in the movies. TFA had a lot of similarities to the A New Hope but they also put twists on them. While I do like the idea of Luke becoming like Obi Wan, I feel like I want him to have more of an active role. I think part of why we were ok with Obi Wan's small(in some ways) role was because we didn't know him. If the PT had come first, we may have been disappointed with his end. BUT, we also got to see him kick ass in the PT. With Luke, he have never really seen him do much. As a Jedi specifically. ANH shows his potential. ESB shows his growth but he still isn't much. And ROTJ shows a ton of growth in the beginning with Jabba but when it comes to the emperor and Vader, he wouldn't even stand a chance without Anakin's redemption.

Maybe I'm still clouded because the EU made Luke into being crazy powerful in some instances, I would love to see him kick some ass. I would hate to have a story where he helps defeat the Empire, has a failure, and then disappears for 30 years only to return to train a new person and stand in the shadows. I don't want him to necessarily overshadow the new characters but I would love to see him get more action than Obi Wan in the OT. I think his character deserves it. I'm just curious if other people feel that way. I think the books did a good job in some instances having Luke being the focus and having great power but then move to the side and let others take the lead to grow. Especially in later novels he has some very modest moments where he refuses to show off his powers or use them in a less than honorable way.

I could even see something where his time in exile has led him to grow even more powerful than we would think. Maybe he learned new things about the force because he did it outside of the confines of the "old" teachers, similar to how Qui Gon learned how to become one with the force because he had a rebellious streak that led him to find his own way that was something generations of learning couldn't under Jedi dogma.
    Ok, I'm done with my rambling.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  2. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I want him to be a Jedi!

AmySolo likes this.
  3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Happy :( .. he is my favourite character from the OT ..

Dak Oolron and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  4. mrs-kylo-ren

mrs-kylo-ren Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2016
    As long as Luke becomes an active character in the new trilogy eventually (even if it takes until the last film) i'm happy. But I agree it would be amazing to see him back at his usual potential or even higher, like in the EU. If they play that out it would be good to have him in episode 8.

AmySolo likes this.
  5. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Rey's Obi Wan.

AmySolo likes this.
  6. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Luke was bad*** in ROTJ imo. Not a pt Jedi but his own breed he struck down vader but still compassionate enough to throw his weapon away. He was a unique Jedi compared to the pt Jedi era (none of this was a pt vs ot just comparing Luke to the Jedi of the pt)

7. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I want to see him showing us some powers we haven't seen in the movies. I want to see him grab a lightsaber and force it back into its blade. I want to see him in a training duel with Rey, just toying with her. I want to see him catch force lightning like he's taking a stroll. I want Kylo to come at him and Luke to just brush him aside and be like "your feeble skills are no match for the power of the light side." (or something like that)

SkooterNB and Avnar like this.
  8. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    To OP, whilst Luke didn't become an unstoppable force of nature by the end of RotJ, narratively he made a giant impact. Yeah Anakin's da chozn wun but it's Luke that brings him back over to the good bros side. It's Luke that faces Vader and the Emperor and they both die while he survives. He then remains as the only torch of the Jedi. That's all pretty badass imo. He might not have shot lightning out his ears or fought giant space dragons but he left his mark on the galaxy.

I think they'll handle him in eps 8 and or 9 a bit differently to Obi. I think he'll play the mentor, but I don't think he'll be as passive as Obi or Yoda. We may get one or two scenes where someone picks the wrong guy to fight n he just totally wrecks shiz, but overall it'll be about the new kids n passing the torch.

9. SunStar

SunStar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    I want to see him grab a lightsaber and force it back into its blade. I want to see him in a training duel with Rey, just toying with her. I want to see him catch force lightning like he's taking a stroll. I want Kylo to come at him and Luke to just brush him aside and be like "your feeble skills are no match for the power of the light side." (or something like that)

You know, I want to see the spirit of this, because if anyone is deserving of this, Luke is. After he sacrificed himself not once, but twice, and has shown was true power is, I'd like to see what his years alone in the First Jedi Temple have shown him. How to balance the force, once and for all? And Rey key to this in some way. Yes.

10. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    To a point but more than what Obi was.

To go through all this to find him and have him only in half of 8 would be a horrible horrible tease. We still follow Rey's story ofc, but he sticks around through it all. I would like to see him be much, MUCH stronger in the force too.

DarthBane93 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  11. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Evil

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Active.

Avnar and ChildOfWinds like this.
  13. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Anything but Rey's father.

Evening Star likes this.
  14. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Become the ultimate Jedi and at the same time, take Rey under his tutelage

And nope, he's not related to Rey in any way except that both are people who know how to utilize the Force for good things

15. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    In episode VIII: the First Order Strikes Back, I think he'll be to Rey as Yoda was to him with a little Obi-Wan mixed in.

As far as lightsaber duels, wizards' battles...etc., I just don't want to see anything over the top or cheesy. I don't need to see 60 year old Mark Hamill doing flips or fighting with two lightsabers. If they want to give him a few cool new tricks like those displayed by Kylo, that's great. I would like to see power behind anything he does do.

I don't think we'll see much from him in VIII though. I have a feeling he's in no hurry to leave. I think it'll be the same as TESB...she feels the need to leave, he doesn't think she's ready. He stays behind but she wants him to come with her...some "You're not the man I thought you were" type stuff, and she's gone. Then later on in this movie or the next at some critical juncture, Luke will appear to save the day perhaps at his own peril.

16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I want him to be a force wizard. So powerful that he can only be killed by a direct shot from SKB.

AmySolo likes this.
  17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I want this to be in the Luke Thread

18. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I want him to be alive at the end of IX. At this point, nobody makes sense as the person that can kill him. He deserves to die of old age, having successfully rebuilt the Jedi order.
    And they can do this, without taking away from Rey's journey. Yoda was in the PT, but it was still the Anakin (and Obi-Wan) show.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I want him to be a pacifist and be very unwilling to train Rey.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    We already have a Luke thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.