main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania What do you want to see in Revenge of the Sith?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SweetGirl, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    What do I think?

I think George came up with a lot of good ideas, and held back 90% of them for this film.

I've spoken to many ppl who've worked on it, as well as ppl who worked "around" it, and they all agree.

RotS has the potential to be a great film, in fact, one of the greatest, it lost that potential however, when It was official that George was still going to direct it.

He has a great imagination, he built a great world that we're all fans of and he knows how to work the publicity machine.

Unfortunately, he is a lousy director, and before you hit that reply button reminding me in "13 year old AOL speak" that Unca George "Kan doo no rong!!11!", let me explain.

He is obsessed with cgi and advancements in film making techniques. This in itself is not a bad thing, but when other areas, creative areas are overlooked in the making of a film in order to concentrate on digital eyelash rendering, then there's a problem.

I've heard it argued that George is not an actor's director. Then guess what kids? He's not a director.

A director needs to tell his actors what he wants, a great director is also a good actor, he needs to be able to tell his actors what it is they are supposed to be feeling, how much of that feeling they express in voice, or in actions, and he needs to be able to push his actors further and further and get the best out of them.

I'm sorry, but limiting your vocabulary on set to "Action" "Faster" "More intense" "Cut" just won't do the job.

I am in awe of what the man has acheived until now, but I also very much wish he'd have set the ego aside and let someone else direct the prequel trilogy.

2. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Who would argue he's not a crappy director? :eek:

Well.. that sucks.. as long as there is still cool stuff to look at.. I guess. Oh well, I'll just go in with low plot and acting expectations! Then I will be pleasantly suprised! Ha Ha!

3. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I've heard things about having a dialogue trainer for the actors this time?
    Perhaps we can hold some hope the acting will at least be slightly better than AotC...

4. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I've also heard rumours of Lawrence Kasdan and Speilberg having input on the script, here's hoping there's no more lines like "good call, my young padawan!" in this one...

5. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    I want to flagelate myself everytime I watch SW and hear a bad line, just because Ifeel like I'vebeen transported back to when I was 16 and tryingto write my own space opera. ooooohhh ddeeeeaaarrr goooood.

*ahem*

I mean, I heard GL gets a 16 year old girl to write his dialogue. :p Hence the romance.

6. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    We could always try bringing Leigh Brackett back from the dead... it would sure be worth it!

7. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Having romance in Star Wars isn't such a bad thing... one of the most romantic movies of all time is The Empire Strikes Back.

...and wasn't there some god-awful atrocious dialogue and acting in the original movies?

"We, uh ran into some old friends!"

8. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, that line seemed pretty natural to me, like something someone would actually say.

Far better than:

"Yippee!" -- twice.

"Exqueeze me!"

"Yousa saying yousa..."

"good call, my young padawan"

"You have interfered for the last time" -- That line could also have gone on to say "and also the first" What the hell was the last time?

"You're hoplessly outnumbered"
    "I don't think so"

*minutes later*

"Now, back down"
    "I don't think so"

"around the survivors, a perimiter create"

Anything during that contrived, tacked on and moronic "love" scene with Anakin and Padme.

Anything uttered by that gungan idiot.

9. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I've read the entire Spoilers* too, and I am very proud to say that Jar Jar redeems himself and becomes one of the greatest Star War characters ever created! I hope I didn't spoil it too much there!

* I may have dreamed it, or read a spoilers site. Not sure which.
    ** Ok, I am mostly spoiler free!

10. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Hmmm...redeems himself...

The only way he could redeem himself is by stumbling from one of the senate podiums and falling to his death. It is, afterall, a long way down. :D

Oh, and if he landed on Anakin, that would also be great. o_O
    And maybe even Padme.

11. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Its an old joke, but the line I am most anticipating in Episode II is:

JarJar: Mesa gonna hide on Alderaan, mesa tink it safe dere!

12. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    BOOM baby, BOOM!

13. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Er...I believe there is a "just the facts" page in the Ep3 section of TFN's main site, if you don't want to see every spoiler in existence. ;)

14. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    I'd be happy if Jar Jar was smited by a stray turbolaser bolt... :D

Macabre, yes, but I don't like the guy. And the fact that he might redeem himself was very predictable...let's hope Lucas doesn't make Ep3 so see through. :p

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Frankly, what I'd love to see is one, just one, damn scene of Obi-Wan Kenobi crying or having some[i/] sort of remorse over the state he's brought the galaxy to.

I mean, he must be feeling some angst over following his Master's wishes and thereby indirectly bringing down the Republic. Jedi have feelings--they just keep them under control. And anger, fear, aggression are all of the Dark Side, but good old grief isn't.

The "eyes-squeezed-shut" look from TPM just isn't good enough for me. What about a nice montage of images: Obi-Wan, sitting alone in a room or quiet corner as the camera slowly zooms in on him. We intersperse the zoom with shots of ships being blown apart across the galaxy, Jedi going down, people getting shot, arrests by stormtroopers...and as the camera gets in close to Obi-Wan we see tears running freely down his face. That would be worth the price of entry alone.

But as Sith_Magician, my brother in despair ;) , has pointed out, Uncle George ain't an actor's director, so we won't see it.

So if it's simply visceral thrills...somebody doing something really smartassed during a lightsaber duel. For example, being in a force-pull contest over a single saber. As it gets close to one opponent, the other turns the saber on with a force-push, skewering the person who's winning the force-pull. (And yes, I know it's from a fanfilm, but I'd love to see it done for real :D )

16. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Bring on the Katana Fleet, Pellaeon/Thrawn, Victory Class Star Destroyers, Dreadnaughts, Z-95's... or was the Z-95 made after that? doesn't matter. What I really want is that it all ties in with the Classic and the EU! Throw a few Vic Star Deuces and Dreadies on the side for good measure as well as impressive Duels.

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I wouldn't hold my breath.

18. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Bring on the Katana Fleet, Pellaeon/Thrawn, Victory Class Star Destroyers, Dreadnaughts, Z-95's... or was the Z-95 made after that? doesn't matter. What I really want is that it all ties in with the Classic and the EU! Throw a few Vic Star Deuces and Dreadies on the side for good measure as well as impressive Duels.

Now this I agree with, but don't expect... :p
    I'd very much like to see some dreadnaughts, and Z-95s, as they are meant to be the precursors to the X-wings. It might be more possible that we will see Victory-class Star Destroyers... :)
    However, we will be seeing Juggernaught assault vehicles, so I'm happy with that. :) At least he's using some of the old concepts from the EU.

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The Z95's, according to RotS, aren't going to be the precursor to anything.

Seen the trailer?

20. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I want to see Obi with a baby luke in his arms and Obi says "Hello there, little one."

and This

21. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I don't have any high expectations, that way I shouldn't be too disappointed.

All I expect is a tormented soul (poorly portrayed, due to the director not the actor), a fight between friends (filmed with a Video Game in mind i.e too over the top) and the emergence of the Man in the Black Mask (hopefully not as we see in the trailer).

What I'd like to see is an M or MA rating, but that ain't gonna happen! :D

22. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I've only just started reading this thread, and a few things caught my eye that I wish to laugh at, or just comment on.

Sith Magician, you said "I'm sorry, but limiting your vocabulary on set to "Action" "Faster" "More intense" "Cut" just won't do the job."
    I remember hearing that quite a lot on the set of Knighthood. :p Quite often it was said before the director opened his mouth. And I think we even just started abbreviating it instead. I'm not saying that there weren't other directions yelled out, Saintheart was fantastic, but there was a damn lot of "Faster" "More intense". :D

And Saintheart, you said "What about a nice montage of images: Obi-Wan, sitting alone in a room or quiet corner as the camera slowly zooms in on him. We intersperse the zoom with shots of ships being blown apart across the galaxy, Jedi going down, people getting shot, arrests by stormtroopers...and as the camera gets in close to Obi-Wan we see tears running freely down his face. That would be worth the price of entry alone."
    And I love that. I can see it in my head. I reckon that would make a fantastic scene. Why don't we have something like that in Knighthood? :p

23. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Sith Magician, you said "I'm sorry, but limiting your vocabulary on set to "Action" "Faster" "More intense" "Cut" just won't do the job."
    I remember hearing that quite a lot on the set of Knighthood. Quite often it was said before the director opened his mouth. And I think we even just started abbreviating it instead. I'm not saying that there weren't other directions yelled out, Saintheart was fantastic, but there was a damn lot of "Faster" "More intense".

That's because unlike George, I haven't been directing feature films for the past thirty years. Oh, wait, neither has George. Damn, shot my own argument down... :D :D

And Saintheart, you said "What about a nice montage of images: Obi-Wan, sitting alone in a room or quiet corner as the camera slowly zooms in on him. We intersperse the zoom with shots of ships being blown apart across the galaxy, Jedi going down, people getting shot, arrests by stormtroopers...and as the camera gets in close to Obi-Wan we see tears running freely down his face. That would be worth the price of entry alone."
    And I love that. I can see it in my head. I reckon that would make a fantastic scene. Why don't we have something like that in Knighthood?

Hmmm...I'm sure I can recut some of the footage to put in that scene...let's see now... :D :D

24. The_Jesstar

The_Jesstar Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    I want to see a good connection to Ep 4 and more battles than romance.

I also want to see Obi-Wan and Ani fight it out, with Obi winning of course..

25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    in most ways i do agree with you SM. I also believe it is vital for the director to a good actor as well.
    EXAMPLE: Peter Jackson! in the extras it clearly shows him (inside Bag end) acting as Bilbo. IMO he was great.
    Now compare this to GL. Apparently when he guest starred in Just Shoot Me, (I did not see this episode), he sucked, or to be kind, did not look comfortable. (i am refering to the particular thread of this appearance). And therefore the prequel films may have come out better if GL stepped aside!

EDIT: what do i want to see in the film? WHATEVER it takes to blow me away (not literally)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.