main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What do your eyes want to see?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Voss

Voss Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    What my eyes want to see..

A HUGE space battle showing a NEW ship that becomes as icon as the falcon. But I want to see a huge prolonged space battle, then the battle goes to the planet where a speeder chase takes off, then goes into a force weild battle, then saber battle!

Just a huge Wachowski/Bay sequence...

2. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I've had a particular shot in my head for years.

It's starts out with a single fighter flying low above the surface of a planet. Out of nowhere, another fighter drops in behind it and opens fire. Both fighters stay low above the ground, trading shots and swapping positions as they try to get behind each other. Eventually, one of the fighters gets hit and crashes to the ground. The camera moves on towards a hill in the distance where a Jedi is watching the dogfight. He watches one fighter crash and the other fly over his head. The camera pans from the Jedi's point of view as the surviving fighter flies over the hill, revealing a thousand ignited lightsabers on a battlefield on the other side as two Jedi armies wage a war with each other.

The whole thing would be one continuous shot with the camera weaving in and out between the two fighters, capturing the intensity of the battle. When I first conceived of the shot, it was designed for my "Star Wars: Prologue" concept, set before the formation of the Republic. As such, the technology would be less advanced and the fighters would be more like advanced jet fighters than space-faring fighters. For a Star Wars sequel, having them be space-faring ships wouldn't make much of a difference as the battle would be taking place in-atmosphere.

3. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I was 9 when I saw Episode I in the theatres, I had no problems understanding it. Nor did my friends.

The film was not about the details of Galactic Taxation (I think an EU novel covers it and boy, it couldn't get myself through it), it was about bad guys attacking good guys. And podracing (which is still cool:p). That was the adventure and that was all we cared about.

Not even Jar-Jar bothered us, he was okay, but we didn't care as much as the older generations.

Children are fine by their own, if they don't understand something, they make something up.

4. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    But it didn't make sense. From the character's decisions to the overall plot; all of it was illogical.

It was about bad guys attacking good guys? And people wonder why TPM gets so much hate.

Thank you for summing up the illogicality of the film, which was sacrificed in favour of gangling Jar Jar and supposedly 'awesome' sword fights.

5. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    SO many things I want to see, truly. But I am chompin at the bit to see an elegant swordsman duel. The PT had one short lived moment with Anakin and Dooku in AOTC, but even still that was weak. A true sword clash, doesn't even need music, just something that is emotionally driven. Like the heaviness of the first Batman/Bane fight in the sewers in TDKR.

6. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    You're welcome.:)

7. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Yes! I thought the Fett/Obi Wan Space Chase was so cool. It would be so awesome to see our ST Heroes on the run starting on a planet leading into space. Like a whole planet having to be evac'd, tons of explosion and casualties, leading to a race for their lives. Would be an awesome spectacle to show the might of the new menaces(s).

Voss likes this.
  8. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    There are lots of criticisms you can make about TPM. I don't think logic is one of them. The Phantom Menace makes absolute sense. The whole point of starting the film with the trade dispute was to show that this is basically what the Jedi do. In a Republic that's relatively peaceful, the Jedi negotiate and try to prevent conflicts from arising. The days of the Sith are gone. There are no wars to fight, the Republic doesn't need defending. So the Jedi find themselves settling local conflicts. It could have been anything. It could have been disgruntled miners looking for better pay, it could have been claims of election rigging on a random world causing tension. It just happened to be the taxation of trade routes. The Trade Federation flexes some muscle, the Jedi step in to settle it, the Trade Federation backs down and they all go back to the negotiation table. Pure politics...except this time something is wrong. The Trade Federation have suddenly grown a spine. This isn't a normal dispute, there's something behind it.

The politics of TPM was there to show that the apparently peaceful and thriving Republic was rotting away from the inside. Seems pretty obvious to me. A lot of people find it boring and pointless...I can see how it could be seen as boring but it certainly isn't pointless. The OT had the advantage of taking place on the fringes of the galaxy but the prequels took place in the heart of the Republic and Lucas was telling a story about how democracies fall from within. So yeah, we got the GFFA equivalent of C-Span which isn't the most riveting stuff for an action adventure but was important for the overall story.

TheCIS and Jobertus like this.
  9. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    Logic is the fundamental flaw of the film.

It wasn't that I didn't understand what Lucas was trying to do; its that so many details were overlooked for whatever pathetic reason and so not of it is coherent.

This was the plot:

The trade federation were unlawfully forcing the Queen to sign a treaty which would lawfully allow their occupation in Naboo because Darth Sidious told them to.

Yeah, that makes sense?

The reason why Sidious told them was because somehow he predicted that The Queen would manage to travel to Coruscant (even though he wanted her captured) and propose a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum which would somehow subsequently lead to Sidious being elected in his place.

Yeah, that makes sense?

Other illogical things include:

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon splitting up on the battleships.
    Qui-Gon taking Jar Jar and THE QUEEN travelling on Tattoine after saying he wanted to keep a low profile (Lucas needed them to develop a relationship I guess).
    Qui-Gon wanting to warn the Naboo that they are under attack even though Naboo's transmissions had already been cut off and battle ships were landing all around them.

And there are many, many more of them.

10. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    That's Lucas for ya!!! Always leaving you the the taste of more!!! :)

11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I can't say that I can recall any "social commentary" in the Wars (though I am divided between making my supper and Dad's Army)

I always saw it as a tale of good and evil and redemption.

Can you throw me some examples?

12. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    the land was too as were the man and women.

13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I want to see Chewie ripping someone's arm off.

Come now, I can't be the only one that wants to see that.

Jobertus and ThatWanFromStewjon like this.
  14. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

15. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, Chewie was woefully underused in the OT.

All we really knew of him was that he had a phobia of slimy things in the dark.

16. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I've never met any child or adult that couldn't understand Star Wars.

And again - off topic.

17. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... Mara and Luke pulling the whole back to back battle-couple thing would probably blow me out of my chair.

18. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I want that old used lived in look that the OT had. The PT didn't as much. I get way but miss it

19. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    A battle meld, perhaps during a sequence when the odds of survival seem stacked against the heroes yet they are able to turn the tables on their attackers to escape or force the attackers themselves to flee.
    I want to see more advanced light saber duels, more like the ones in the PT than the OT, but with more force usage.
    I'd like to see Luke and other Jedi in Old School garb, this is the way that Jedi dress, not like Luke was dressed in the OT.
    Even if just peripherally, I'd like to see species that were not seen in either of the first two trilogies, but who are from the EU, in this trilogy. (Bothans, Chiss, Yuuzhan Vong, Camaasi, Barabel, Killik, Verpine, Aing Ti, Fosh, Kaleesh, Ryn, Yevethan, Yinchorri, etc.) At least one of these species was mentioned, but never shown.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  20. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I want Ackbar to say "it's a trap!" Every time someone says something. He is old now and losing his mind. He thinks everything is a trap

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    You still haven't said what was so hard to understand?

Making broad general cliched statements isn't an answer.

And you are still off topic.

22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I want to see the opening Scroll! It's EPIC every time you see the Scroll for the first time in theaters!

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jedi Armies versus Sith Armies (with diverse, individualized looks for each one)

Darth Plagueis

The lead protagonist and Jedi should be female (Jaina Solo)

More Black/Hispanic/Asian human characters

Alien main characters

huge ROTJ-style space battle

the finale battle and duel should be on/above Tatooine

24. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    A TIE Defender.

I would like to see Rick's concept for the capital to be a Sith stronghold. Mmmm throne room with flows of lava everywhere. And it better have an epic lightsaber duel that redeems Anakin and Kenobi's Mustafar duel. No more flashy crap and ridiculous acrobatics. The duels in TPM and AOTC and at the beginning of RotS (except Dooku flipping over the railing :rolleyes:, so OOC for him, it was yes) were better than the Mustafar duel.

Whills! I want to see a Whills dangit!

Corellia.

Boba Fett. You guys know they will bring him back. They HAVE to bring him back. The only minor character that is the most popular has GOT to be brought back. Sarlacc Pit fodder be damned! It would be a business decision nightmare if they dont.

Oh and....

25. TheMasterOfSoresu

Jan 23, 2011
    I have above.

I don't need you to tell me whether I'm off topic, especially as you are also.