main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does/doesn't Owen know in Ep. IV

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jar_Jar_the_great, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jar_Jar_the_great

Jar_Jar_the_great Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2003
    Aunt Beru: Where are you going?
    Luke: Looks like I'm going nowhere!... I have to go finish cleaning those 'droids.
    Aunt Beru: Owen, he can't stay here forever, most of his friends have gone. It means so much to him.
    Uncle Owen: Well, I'll make it up to him next year, I promise.
    Aunt Beru: Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him.
    Uncle Owen: That's what I'm afraid of.

That last line, "That's what I'm afraid of." is what makes me come to this conclustion. He knows what happened to Anikan and doesn't want the same to happen to Luke. Also Luke's line about not going anywhere and Owen's saying he will make it up to him leads me to belive that Owen knows Anikan is Vader and that is why he is keeping Luke from applying. I'm sure the name Skywalker would ring a few bells in peoples memories. So how does Owen come to this knoweldge.

Mod note: Approved thread for CT.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, I'm not sure what we can conclude about Owen's knowledge of Vader based on that conversation. He mentions the topic awfully lightly for someone who means to say "Luke is a lot like the second-worst tyrant and mass murderer of a millenium." Maybe Owen's negative view of Luke's father is based on his having been a Jedi alone.

3. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    "He thought you might follow old Obi-wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did".

I think from this quote, if Obi-Wan is telling the truth, shows that Owen thought that whatever the Jedi were doing for the Republic was a pointless endeavor. Perhaps Owen knows Anakin became Vader, but maybe he didn't.

4. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I think Owen knows Anakin is Vader. Remember, Beru says, "He's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him."

Owen's response, "That's what I'm afraid of", I think, foreshadows Vader's dramatic revelation in ESB.

5. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "I think Owen knows Anakin is Vader. Remember, Beru says, "He's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him."

Owen's response, "That's what I'm afraid of", I think, foreshadows Vader's dramatic revelation in ESB. "

I always figured Owen and Beru knew more. Notice the look they give each other when Luke mentions Ben Kenobi. I wouldn't be surprised if they knew the whole truth about Luke, being Anakin's son and all.

6. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    The "crusade" line was propaganda to help steer Luke in the right direction, towards becoming a Jedi.

7. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I think Owen & Beru know what happened to Anakin. I think Obi-Wan told them all that happened when he leaves Luke with them. I think this is why Owen has animosity towards Obi-Wan, as he blames him for Anakin's fall. Obi-Wan would have to explain to them what happened for two reasons: 1) they would need to know that Anakin and Padme were never going to come to get him back and 2) They would have to know that if Vader/Emperor found out about him, they would be in danger and why. Obi-Wan would not have left Luke w/ them putting them at risk, w/o fully disclosing what they would be getting into by taking Luke in.

8. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I'm not convinced that Owen and Beru know the full truth. Bear in mind that the last time (presumably) they saw Anakin, he showed up, went to find his kidnapped mother (fair enough), murdered an entire Tusken tribe and left without saying goodbye, stealing a droid. Maybe you can forgive Owen's blinkered view if this is all he knows.
    When the infant Luke is delivered to Owen and Beru (presumably by Obi/Ben), all he needs to tell them is that Anakin Skywalker has died. After all, it wouldn't be the last time he'd say that.
    "Certain point of view" indeed. ;)

I reckon he classified the information on a "need to know" basis.

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

9. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Owen and Beru were on a need to know basis because they were risking their very lives by taking in Luke. They needed to be warned about Vader and why Vader would be interested in Luke if he found out about him.

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Even before the PT came out, I had always assumed that Owen did know the truth behind Skywalker from that scene. It is the only thing that made sense then, and still does to me.

11. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    ...stealing a droid.

I think it was understood that apon Anakin's return the droid would be back into his ownership. He did make him after all.

12. JediStu2

JediStu2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    '...stealing a droid' I find this funny because of the irony. In the original STAR WARS novel, Uncle Owen kept stalling Luke from going to the academy because he didn't have enough droids to help him get through each harvest. Anakin takes C-3PO in Episode 2 leaving the Lars family short a droid. Years later because there are not enough droids for his liking, Owen actually buys back C-3PO without even knowing it. Hah, great stuff!

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I always figured that Owen knew pretty much everything on the issue related to Anakin. I also have always speculated that when Obi-Wan dropped Luke off, he told Owen the entire story. Owen, of course, is very angry, and doesn't want to tell the story to Luke, more for Luke's own protection than anything. Owen and Obi-Wan cut off all ties and are mutual friends but appear to be enemies in Luke's eyes, so that Luke doesn't go to Obi-Wan for advice and Obi-Wan won't tell him the truth.

Then when Obi-Wan is mentioned again, Owen is scared of what could happen to Luke if the Empire got involved and if Vader found out who Luke was. Owen's fears turned out to be good for Luke in a way--and probably good for the galaxy too. It allowed Luke to get old enough and have enough maturity to set him up to take on the responsibility of confronting Vader and later saving the galaxy--whether it was what Owen intended or not.

14. Jar_Jar_the_great

Jar_Jar_the_great Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2003
    Yeah I always felt the same way, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought this. Because after bringing it up in the Ep.3 forum with some other things added people keep telling me Owen didn't know anything and such. Thanks guys for reaferming my opinion.

15. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Luke is nothing like Owen and Beru and shows signs of how Anakin Skywalker was. They probably weren't around Anakin enough to really know him, but probably know just enough because of how Luke is so diverse and different from them.

Lars doesn't want Luke to come into contact with Obi-Wan or any other Jedi for that matter. He doesn't want Luke to come into contact with the Rebellion or the Empire. He wants the boy to live a pretty boring and unsatisfying life like he's doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.