main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Does Episode 7 Need For it to be a Star Wars Movie

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Redimet, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    It's pretty obvious we're getting that.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The opening crawl should be seen continuously throughout the movie. At the end of IX, all of the opening crawls will merge into one Mega Super-Mecha Opening Crawlbot, commandeered by Luke, which proceeds to take down the baddie.

Pensivia likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    You know, it occurs to me that we've never once actually seen a cockpit view of a ship actually entering hyperspace. We get the beginnings of the blurred stars, and then we cut to the outside of the ship and it zooms off, leaving the viewer far behind. Unless TCW had a shot where we saw a complete hyperspace entry from the inside of a ship, we have never seen one. I think it'd be cool to get one of those (though not on the Falcon; anytime the Falcon jumps to hyperspace it needs to be the classic "cockpit view followed by cut to exterior" shot).

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    True that. That would be interesting.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought we did in ROTJ?

6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Wilhelm scream
    Wipes
    Iris out
    The sound of elephants combined with tires on wet roads

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Did we? I know we saw the inside of a hyperspace tunnel, but then we saw that in ANH and ESB too, IIRC.

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    -All of the movies have awesome stuff happening without the camera really lingering on it.
    -Important names not even used in the movie but becoming household terms among kids, their parents, and talk show hosts. Ewok, Mon Mothma, Organa before the Prequels.
    -Unique titles like Moff, Darth, Bail (was that ever clarified after the whole Bail Antilles controversy?)
    -Locations that serve a function but are used as major set pieces. The garbage compactor. The carbon freezing chamber. The facility for the duel in The Phantom Menace, with the little force fields keeping Obi-Wan away, still doesn't make much sense beyond being convenient.
    -NO EARTH
    -Evolution of design.
    -Not repeating major set pieces and doing something new. The Millennium Falcon's gun wells and the game were seen once. Vader's chamber was shown in one movie. Since this is a sort of reunion, I won't be surprised to see some of this stuff repeated though. Something new is done with lightsabers in each movie.
    -Consistency between movies. Each original Star Trek movie starts differently. So does each Jaws movie. Superman III doesn't begin like the previous two.

Here is what it doesn't need:
    Resurrected characters.
    Lots of lightsaber fights.
    Everyone who survived Return of the Jedi returning.

9. Porkinslovehandle

Porkinslovehandle Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2014
    From a formula standpoint, all six of the existing films have: a chase, a rescue, a battle, and a duel. I bet they'll stick with this, at least for the episodic films.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    ANH, yes - ESB, I don't think so though.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    It needs NOT to have flashback scenes.

Yanksfan likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah SW has no flashback scenes in general.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    But couldn't the PT movies be considered flashback movies?

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No flashbacks are only legitimate if they are included into a standard plot.

15. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

I prefer to think of them as a bad dream Luke had in the Bacta chamber.

16. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    lol

17. jere7my

jere7my Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2014
    I honestly do not get the hatred for Star Wars flashbacks on these fora. Flashbacks are a basic tool of storytelling, dating back to the Odyssey, the Ramayana, and the Arabian Nights. They've been a part of filmmaking for almost as long as there's been filmmaking—one of the earliest examples was in 1916. But for some reason simply mentioning the possibility of seeing one in a Star Wars movie gives people the heebie-jeebies.

My addition to this thread: It's important that the world of the movies have auditory and visual depth. Nearly every scene in the original trilogy has layers of background sounds and background details, often extremely subtle, which embed the viewer in the world of the movie. Ben Burtt is on board, so my hopes are high.

Beyond that, the technology of Star Wars is very hands-on, modular, maker-oriented (not Maker-oriented). It's got a nice chunky analog feel to it, rather than being all solid-state, from droids to the Falcon to pod racers. It makes it easy to buy into the idea that they're really doing something when they open a panel or remove a restraining bolt.

DarthLightlyBruise and vinsanity like this.
  18. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Completely agree. As long the story is cool, I don't really care if they use flashback, flash forward, slow-motion, use of handheld camera (no confusion of shaky camera) or other techniques.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

You know what my main fear of flashbacks is? If they decide to have a Luke or Leia "flashback" and suddenly this other actor/actress is playing them. It just wouldn't work, since we already DID see them when they were younger, and they did NOT look like that. You know what I mean? It would be jarring. And pull me out of the movie. I would hate it.

20. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    It will depend how young they will be, if it was a 10 year old Luke or Leia, it would be alright, but I don't think they will show flashbacks, but I understand your concern.

Yanksfan likes this.
  21. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    I don't want to see any flashbacks to be honest.

22. VibrantCybran

VibrantCybran Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2013
    Cool droids, cool ships, witty banter, sweeping music, sinister villains.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Space....lots of it....

24. hamad138

hamad138 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 25, 2014
    Plane fights and not only lightsaber force fights

25. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    like the yoda emperor fight?