main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does everyone think of the new "a Celebration every two years" schedule?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by WIERD_GREEN_MAN, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I got the same impression too, though I would find it hard to see Reed/LFL go 4 years between US-based Celebrations (assuming C6 in 2012, Celebration "X" in 2014, then C7 in 2016.)

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    indeed... and most likely a 2-year model would still bring in more money than a 3-year one, unless there is a serious attendance dip.

30,000 fans x 2 times in 6 years = 60,000 attending and paying entry fees
    vs
    25,000 fans x 3 times in 6 years = 75,000 attending and paying entry fees. still a winner!

Though the exhibitors, who also pay a lot for booth space - do they prefer more cons, but with lower attendance.

the tough thing is to make sure that you still come out ahead by offering a reason to come - i fear that with a 2-year cycle, they could run out of programming (especially related to the classic trilogy) faster, and the con will feel 'same old panels as last time' - obviously the Clone Wars and live action stuff will be the new content... but is that as much a draw? Celebration V showed that without a major movie (but with Jon Stewart / Last Tour to Endor / Orlando as a destination), they can still pack the place. they should keep rotating the venue to not burn out a location (orlando's not much a draw the third time around, once you feel that you've seen the theme parks)...

but how i feel:
    i don't like two years - i got enough to do in between! and not having a US Celebration for the 30th anniv of Jedi is weak.

3. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I think it's a good question. I'm cool with every other year, and most likely will keep attending them all. Personally the only thing this schedule does is eliminate my plans to attend Fan Days. If Celebrations were every three years then a Fan Day half way through would be great. There's no reason (nor is it financially feasible)for me to attend Fan Days in October and CVI in August, and if I have to choose one over the other, it's not even close.

4. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I could really care less. I have only been to one Celebration and that was Celebration III in Indianapolis. That was way back in 2005. It would be cool to go to another one but I am not holdig my breath. It seems Lucasfilm favors picking host that are either in Florida or California due to closeness to Disney and other amusement parks, beaches, etc. Even with all the restoration, renovation, and additional square footage of the Indiana Convention Center. They ignore the city. Probably has to do with GenCon hurting the city's image with the fallout from Celbration IV. I guess Indianapolis hosting the Super Bowl coming up did not help persuade them to choose Indy again. Heck, we have the Indianapolis 500 every year and that has a minimum of 300,000 people come to the city every year for the race. The city can host big events. We host the Men's and Women's NCAA Final Four in Basketball every 5 years plus we are hosting Big Ten Men's and Women's basketball tourney every year. We get to host the first 5 Big Ten Football Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium.

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    For some people who do not get 100% free rein about taking trips, they do not really like having host cities repeated, because then it is harder for them to pursuade other important people to let them take the trip if that place has already been visited. I don't mind having Celebrations in busy cities, but one of my friends does not want Celebrations in places like Orlnado or Salt Lake City because then there will be lots of other attractions competing with Star Wars. I actually don't mind because Celebrations (CV, at least) only really open the halls at 9 am and end at 7, so I think there's enough time in the day for Celebration and the host city's offerings.

6. Lord_Archivaria

Lord_Archivaria Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2011
    So this could mean that Celebrations could be like Worldcon, bouncing all around the world every few years. If they have every other one outside the US then the newness might not wear off as fast. Also, it occured to me that with the movies starting to come out in 3D next year, they might make a big deal out of that. Personally I have my doubts about the whole idea of Star Wars in 3D (and Lucas must share those doubts if TFM is being released in February). However Star Wars in 3D might be part of the reason for the switch to a two year schedule.

One final note. Every other franchise has a yearly convention. The specialness factor, for me anyway, is just about being immersed in Star Wars non-stop for four days. I don't think that will ever get old. Having a Celebration every two years just gives me more opportunities to go if I have to miss one (like I will with CVI). Cons are really about meeting new people and seeing others whom you don't see very often.

7. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm rather disappointed that Celebration VI will be next near, especially the timing within the year.

I missed CV last year because I was in orientation for one of my graduate programs. Okay. No problem. Wait until 2013 after I've graduated and it's the 30th of Return; should be a HUGE Celebration. It'll be the only vacation time I take my first year of work.

But no. CVI will be next year, when I am still in school and already have two professional trips scheduled (out of my own pocket) during September of 2012. Even worse, make CVI later in August than CV and completely ensure that, even if I DID have the money to go, I would already have started class by that time.

I'm really miffed about this. I've never been to a Celebration and I desperately want to go. My big worry is that they become less special. I mean, they've held them for the release of the prequels and the 30ths of Episodes IV and V. Why skip the 30th of Return? Makes no sense to me. As someone stated earlier, if they want to hold them every two years, then hold Celebration VI in 2013 for the 30th of Return and THEN make them every two years thereafter.

Very disappointed... but, maybe next time. I've been telling myself that for years, and I guess I have to keep telling myself that.

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that! I almost missed out on CV, and it was not a good experience wondering about if I would make it to Orlando. Hopefully you can make it to the Celebration in 2014 and go every two years after!

9. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    To be honest, my feelings on this seem to change back & forth the more I think about it.

One day I'm stoked at the possibility of attending a Celebration every 2 years.

The next day I'm a bit worried that the programming/events might get watered down somewhat and take a little shine off what is always a gleaming experience.

Time will tell all of course...

10. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I think many people share your concern, I know I do. If it becomes watered down, or otherwise "less special" because of the new schedule people will be less likely to make major time and financial commitments to attend. It also runs the risk of losing it's credibility with the fans, which right now seems to be incredibly high. I'm really excited for CVI, I've already started checking this forum everyday, my countdown has already begun. I enjoy that feeling of anticipation because of my experience of CV and I hope I continue to feel that way leading up to all the future Celebrations.

11. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    With the convention schedule set at two years, it will not allow fans and celebrities--especially from Europe--to recover financially or to allow scheduling of Star Wars celebrities.

Here is something else to remember...

Having a Celebration that is located near a large attraction like Disneyland/Disneyworld attracts a certain demographic--and detracts from the bottom line of the Convention. Emphasis on the Convention is watered down, and there will be a lot of people who simply cannot make it because of the travel involved. Hotels tend to be more expensive during the summer months in the tourist areas as well.

Having the Celebration centrally located--such as Indianapolis--attracts the same people PLUS a lot more who could otherwise not afford the trip--either in time or money. For the vast majority of fans, a Celebration involves a lot of planning, dedication of finances and scheduling of available vacation time.

As an example, at C5 I was able to meet the Colorado chapter of the 501st. They DROVE, in a caravan, from Colorado, with several trailers carrying costumes and exhibits. They were VERY concerned about the possibility of having another drive to Orlando for C6 (which, I guess, is a reality now).

So, it would seem that the best option would be to have the Celebrations at a 3 year schedule--in different places.

12. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I am definitely concerned about the water-down effect. They claim CVI will be bigger and better than CV. I didn't go to CV and I can't go to CVI, so, really, I have no way of knowing/comparing, if CVI is supposed to be "bigger and better," what's left? Are we no longer going to celebrate major milestones/anniversaries? How WILL the 30th or Return be remembered? There's just no way they can hold Celebrations for the 30th of IV and Empire and then NOT do something spectacular for Return.

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Also, a fun side effect of shifting Celebration around was the chance to visit new cities - Heck that was the ONLY reason I would ever willingly go to Indy - but you get to see so much more than just the convention. If it's at MCO EVERY (other) year, it'll get old really quick.

14. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    If the 2 year span does become the norm for future Celebrations, then I hope they drop the numerical and/or location designation from the official title and just go with the year it is being held.

Would be a heck of a lot easier to remember each one. ;)

15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I did not think about that in that language, especially the "certain demographic" part! It is a very good argument. I guess that's why my friend does not want Celebrations to be in really attractive towns. (Also, this friend is not able to go to CVI because they are taking a summer trip during that time.) Actually, the only reason I was able to attend CV was because Disneyworld was there, but in 2012, that will NOT work so I cannot rely on this location to be the reason I will be able to attend.

16. Baco_Sapan

Baco_Sapan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2010
    If it were up to ME, I'd love for these things to go down once EVERY year, lol. That's how much I love it and how much fun I think it is. So, I'm happy that it's gonna be once every 2 years. I prefer that WAY over waiting 3 years, I'll tell ya that much. The only thing I'm worried about is that since it's gonna be such a short time frame, will they be able to obtain all the stuff they usually have. The panels, the celeberties, all that stuff. My guess is prolly not. But it doesn't matter cause it's gonna be fun and great regardless :D Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I can make the next one next August :)

17. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Personally, I love the timeline being moved up. I think the three year span was hard on the "ticker". lol

I am with Justin on this, that I am one day happy as a Jawa, and the next...worried that if Celebrations becomes too much of financial burden on the fans, that we may see less and less in attendance. I, for one, love to mingle and get to know more and more fans.

Like most of you I am sure, Star Wars is my ultimate Passion and life...lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.