main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does George think of the trailer?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Hydro spanner Celt, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyranus_Reborn

Tyranus_Reborn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2014

That presupposes that JJ has the capacity to "save" and "restore credibility." While Abrams is unquestionably an efficient pop filmmaker, he is not an auteur. Although one could reasonably argue that SW does not need an auteur's sensibilities in order to work. Super 8 and the recent Star Trek films recycled well worn tropes, and yet they functioned very well as independent entertainments. (That is not to say, however, that they can withstand close scrutiny).

2. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I don't think George sees himself as a pioneer at all, and he's even said that publicly. He told Charlie Rose back before ROTS was released that he'll probably only be considered a "very slight footnote" in film history as some guy who started the change from film to digital, and that ultimately he wants Star Wars to be remembered for it's stories and content, and not for the road he had to build to get him there (i.e. VFX, digital film, CGI...)

...and oddly enough, in that same interview, George said he was very glad to be done with Star Wars, even calling it an "obligation". He also said that the reason he even decided to do the PT in the first place was because it was an opportunity that had presented itself and he felt it would make more sense to take advantage of that opportunity rather than make other films that he had always wanted to make. It's not exactly crazy to think that George maybe (and probably) just doesn't care all that much about Star Wars anymore.

3. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I imagine George just views the new film as officially approved fan fiction. Especially with all the rumours that his original story was tossed out when Arndt's script got the boot. He'll probably see it out of curiosity but he's not emotionally invested anymore. Kind of like some fans (including me, at this point).

G-FETT and CoolyFett like this.
  4. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    You know that Charlie Rose. That tabloid muckraker Charlie Rose.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  5. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Heh yah right ask the Star Trek fans how that worked out for them.

6. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    You should see the other guy:

[​IMG]

bobbyroberts and EternalHero like this.
  7. Tyranus_Reborn

Tyranus_Reborn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2014
    He called the prequels trash. Rick McCallum let him have it. :p

CoolyFett and EternalHero like this.
  8. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I hate Geaorge Lucas. I hate him so much. He raped my childhood and made changes to movies that belong to me, the Delusional Star Wars Fan. He had no right! He is dead to me, I am gald he is no longer part of SW, and I will pay him no mind.

Now please excuse my while I go obsess over every little thing Lucas says for the rest of his natural life.

CoolyFett and EternalHero like this.
  9. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    GL can't get a break. People love him because he created SW. People hate him because he didn't make SW movies the way they thought he should make them. People love him because he created a universe of unlimited imagination with collectible merchandise. People hate him because he put characters and things in SW movies that lent themselves to merchandizing. They love him because he's grown old and gray in service to SW, but they hate him because he grew too tired to keep living in the SW universe. They love him because he sold his company and the rights to SW so others could tell SW stories, they hate him because he made $4+ billion on the sale. And when he says he hasn't or won't watch the trailer, or whatever, people hate him and accuse him of being peevish. If he saw it and said he didn't like it, he would have been criticized. If he saw it and said he liked it, someone would ask - and the internet would be full of debate - "so, are you admitting that the ST is better than the SW movies YOU directed?" For cryin' out loud, be grateful he's given you so much - for better or worse - to occupy your lives, and let him be.

Redimet, Artoo-Dion , Rickern and 5 others like this.
  10. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    He doesn't really deserve hate, but IMO he does deserve to be parodied relentlessly. The guy actually made Darth Vader yell "Nooooo" . . . in Return of the Jedi!

11. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

a hundred times this.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  12. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Pretty much. And I think he knows that no matter what he says, he'll be crucified some more. (And so he has been.) So he displays indifference to it. I don't know if it's affected or not, nor do I really care.

Sometimes I actually try to see the petty, nasty, jealous, tyrannical, egotistical, narcissistic, mean-spirited (expletive deleted) that Lucas is regularly accused of being. I actually try to see evidence of him declaring himself a filmmaking pioneer and a "genius." I actually try to see evidence of jealousy toward St. Peter "The Great" Jackson, JJ Abrams, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, and the Expanded Universe authors, that he's been accused of having over the years.

And I just don't see it. I see a fairly regular, mild-mannered if eccentric guy, who has his likes and dislikes like all human beings do, but who mostly tries to be polite and fair in public, even when other people are ripping him to shreds, then ripping the shreds to shreds.

But what do I know? I'm just a "stupid apologist who would sit and drool if Lucas presented me with two hours of blank film." (That's a direct quote from a hater.)

Valairy Scot, darkmarc and CoolyFett like this.
  13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I think he's seen it, 100%. And maybe he's seen a lot more than just the trailer footage? I tend to think he's reserving judgement for now. Though I will admit a little, 'yeah looks great. Looks different' would've been good. But there you go. He has his reasons

14. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I'm not a Star Trek fan but I loved the first film.

But let's not forget that he is not working alone on the story. I have no doubt TFA will be far superior to the train wreck that was the PT.

StarKiller81 likes this.
  15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
  16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

But what if it is a trainwreck? Kasdan hasn't written a good movie in years. Abrams is hit or miss. For all we know, it might not be that good a movie. We don't know anything until we see it.

17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's not outside the realms of possibility, but at this stage a "trainwreck" is highly unlikely. The buzz on this film is very, very positive.

18. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/george-lucas-star-wars-force-awakens-trailer/story?id=27470883

Dude is excited to see a Star Wars movie totally unspoiled, he's just a giant nerd like us.

19. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    wait what?? Ive never seen George speak ill on other directors, hell the only ones ive ever heard him talk about is Steven and Francis, Francis the most.

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Hilarious. Of course the Disney-owned ABC got the "scoop" (i.e. PR cleanup) on why Lucas hadn't seen the teaser.

TKT likes this.
  21. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    My theory is this: after years of hearing thousands of fans screaming for his head on a platter, saying he should be shot and blaming him for "ruining their childhood" due to the prequels not meaning their preconceived expectations, George cashed in his $4 billion franchise and decided he doesn't give jack**** about what happens to Star Wars any longer. He probably has anxiety problems due to it, and has decided to distance himself from it now to concentrate on his family and other projects (ie the museum). Can't say I blame him, and no one should be offended by it if he seems a bit standoffish.

Rookhelm likes this.
  22. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    Meh....leave the guy alone. If he says he hasn't seen it, I believe him and it doesn't really matter whether he has or hasn't.

While I personally don't like everything he's put on screen, I like a darn lot of it and hope he's happy.

maychild and Hoggsquattle like this.
  23. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    No, he hasn't. I wasn't saying he has. :) I was saying that I have actually tried to see evidence of him being as petty and jealous as he gets accused of being, but I can't find it.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  24. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    And it will be lauded as a masterpiece even if it isn't, because Lucas isn't involved with it, and the haters and their representatives in the press have to stay loyal to their belief that Lucas is the worst thing that ever happened to SW. (And here was me thinking he created it.)

25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not talking about unfounded fan/media chatter. I'm talking about people who have a basis for their belief, the most prominent being Anthony Daniels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.