What does it mean to be a Christian?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by JediYvette, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus

star 6
    I was talking to a friend a while ago, and she talked about how she went to church at least twice a week. I told her that I could never do that because I am not a religious person. Then she tells me that she is not religious, but a Christian. She, however, refused to expand on that, stating that I did not have enough religious knowledge to understand the difference.

All I am asking is just what is a Christain?
  2. Lost in Coruscant Jedi Knight

star 2
    A Christian is a person that has accepted the FACT that Jesus Christ is God's son, came to earth and died for our sins then rose from the dead.

Now, the logical thing to do after you have accepted that is to love Jesus for saving you from hell, would be to love him, right?

John 14:21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Church can be considered two things (basicly); a place to learn more about Christ/God, and a place to socialize with other like-minded Christians (There's a verse in Acts about it). To learn more about God, and tell others about him (The great commision, one of the last verses in Matthew).
  3. PurpleSaberJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm sorry, but there is no set difinition for a Christian. But here are our basic beliefs:

We believe in one God, the father the almighty, maker of heaven and Earth. Of all that is seen and unseen. We believe in one lord Jesus Christ, only son of the God, eternally begotten of the Father. God from God, light from light, True God from True God begotten not made, one in being with the father, through him all things were made. For us (men) and our salvation, he came down from heaven, by the power of the holy spirit he was born of the virgin mary and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius pilot. He suffered died and was buried. He rose again the fullfillment of the scriptures. he acendended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the father. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord the giver of life, who proceeds from the father and son. With the father and the son he is worshipd and glorified, he has spoken through the profits. We believe in one holy catholic and apostalic church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the ressurection of the dead and the life of the World to come (Amen.)

4. King-Jellyrobes Jedi Knight

star 1
    Essentially what they said, but it can mean a lot of things. Basically, religious "knowledge" doesn't factor into being a Christian, but it helps. Being ignorant about other religions isn't exactly a good stereotype to be tossing around. We believe in God, we believe in Christ, and we believe in the ever-present goodness of the human soul, even if it needs to be dragged to the surface kicking and screaming all the way. ;)
  5. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    "we believe in the ever-present goodness of the human soul"

I was under the impression that Christians beleived that humans are inherently bad, at least since the supposed first sin. I mean, if humans are inherently good, why do you need somebody to pay the price for you?
  6. King-Jellyrobes Jedi Knight

star 1
    Details, details. :D As Christians, it is also not our place to judge, so I guess we're just hoping for the best in the long run.. but like I stated at the end of my first post, most of us feel it is our duty to spread that same spirit of Christ to our worldly brothers and sisters, preferrably without getting yelled at for being "preachy".
  7. King-Jellyrobes Jedi Knight

star 1
    Also, the fact is that we believe that humans are not inherently "bad", since we were created by God Himself. It was only when the fallen angel introduced us to sin did we become in need of salvation. Otherwise "ever-present goodness" will always be within us, but it took the blood of the lamb to even the playing field.
  8. GreedoCMZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, when I was born 32 years and fifteen days ago my parents named me Christian. But I was named after my mom's grandfather Christian Michael Poulson. But I still believe in Jesus Christ and in his perfect, sinless life and in his atonement, death and resurrection. So for me being a Christian has a dual meaning. And while I am fervent about my beliefs I am very tolerant of others' beliefs especially when they can also get along peacably with others.
  9. Darth Mulacki Force Ghost

star 5
    well, im not religious(sp?) but, i do live by the christian moralcode, like "thou shalt not kill".
    And to the soul thing, i believe that we have a soul but that it is our personality and our memories.

-DM
  10. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    and we believe in the ever-present goodness of the human soul"

*raises red flag*

nope sorry buck-o, wrong.

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but i cannont carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do I do not want to do-this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it."

--Romans 7:15-20

basically: the human race's nature is to sin, that is why we need jesus to save us.
  11. InnocentIII Jedi Knight

star 1
    The easiest way to understand what it is to be a Christian is to look at the creeds we use: the Apostle's and the Nicene (the Nicene was cited above). And yodaboy is correct, we do not believe in the inherent goodness of humanity. Rather, we believe in the inherent sinfulness of human nature.
  12. GreedoCMZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, some Christian might not believe in the inherent sinfulness of human nature.
  13. King-Jellyrobes Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't see it quite that way. If we were all sinful, why are some children kind and generous from birth, whereas others are not? Are they already accepted by Christ before they have the ability to consciously accept Him? ?[face_plain]
  14. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    why are some people nice even when they are older and grown up but haven't accepted christ? i don't know.
  15. King-Jellyrobes Jedi Knight

star 1
    Another thing that I prefer to remember as a Christian is that there is always something bigger (and consequently, smaller) than myself and there is always some person out there with more problems than another.. except that really unlucky guy at the bottom of the chain. [face_plain] It's not important to the faith itself, but I don't know if all non-Christians bear it in mind either.
  16. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "why are some people nice even when they are older and grown up but haven't accepted christ? i don't know. "

An even more mind boggling question may be, "why were some people nice even when they were older and grown up generations before christ was born?" That's a hard one.
  17. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    my point is that it's a hard question that won't be answered until we reach heaven.
  18. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Perhaps. Part of it could be that acceptig jesus may have nothing to do with whether someone is compassionate and considerate in their every day lives.
  19. King-Jellyrobes Jedi Knight

star 1
    Someday I'd like to start a discussion regarding Heaven and just what it might/might not encompass. Even if someone has read something about it that I haven't, I think there is an almost unlimited reservoir of ideas to toss around.
  20. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn The Other Saga Moderator

Manager
    star 6
    Also, the fact is that we believe that humans are not inherently "bad", since we were created by God Himself.

But were Lucifer and indeed all the angels made by God?
  21. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ouch. Snappy comeback, Commander. I know i sure can't answer that question.
  22. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    yo, thrawn, i already "disproved" that statement
  23. Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I am glad someone of my religion is in here, because many belive the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) is not a Christian religion, or is some "diffrent" Christian. I belive that a "Christian" is one who belives in Jesus Christ and the Atonement for all of mankind. However, to go much deeper just exclueds others who belive in Christ, but diffrently. I don't belive that humanity is inheriently bad, and I don't belive that we are punished for Adam's transgrestion.
  24. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "and I don't belive that we are punished for Adam's transgrestion. "

Neither do i. Unfortunately, Adam's transgression is the only reason we needed Jesus in the first place, it's the reason he was sacraficed, to pay for our sins. But i long ago washed my hands of whatever adam did. Maybe he was my great grandaddy, maybe not. But i didn't know the guy and i'm not taking the fall for his transgressions.

But, Jesus is cool. I don't think the church is cool, or even the bible for that matter. But the guy was in touch with something, and i don't think generations of chicanery and biblical vandalism have corrupted it entirely.
  25. GreedoCMZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Part of it could be that accepting Jesus may have nothing to do with whether someone is compassionate and considerate in their every day lives.

Exactly, and I still have a firm belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ, which includes the belief that through prophecy people knew about him before his birth into mortality.

And while we may experience some of the negative effects of Adam's transgression it is true, as Coolguy stated, that we are not held personally accountable for it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.