main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does it mean to be a Christian?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by JediYvette , Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    You're using the same reasoning the terrorists did.

2. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Well, those responsible for the terrorist attacks will tell you they had God's full endorsement--just like the Israelites claimed.

3. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Yeah Geist, we know for sure that god is the author of the bible.

"One wonders why God would choose a Bible to reveal himself
    thousands of years before the invention of the printing
    press and at a time when few people could read."
    [C. W. Dalton, "The Right Brain and Religion"]

4. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    exactly, geist. There was so much love in those attacks against the WTC, it brings a tear to the eye.

lol, ender. that's a great quote.

5. IellaWessiriNRI

IellaWessiriNRI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    No, it's not about enthnic purity. Before the coming of Christ, God chose to associate Himself with the Jews. The Hebrew people had a theocracy, a government ruled by God. God telling them to destroy Jerusalem to the last stone is like a king commanding an army to conquer a city. All non-Jews were considered gentiles, and not God's chosen people. He did not associate Himself with them. God commanded His people to set themselves apart from the gentiles, not because the gentiles weren't Jews, but because He wanted His people to be set apart specifically for His purpose.

And yes, we're all posting at the same time. :)

EDIT:
    One wonders why God would choose a Bible to reveal himself
    thousands of years before the invention of the printing
    press and at a time when few people could read

Oh, yeah, Ender, great quote. Except the Bible isn't God's only way of revealing Himself. He revealed Himself to His people many times in physical form during the OT, and then through the life of Christ.

6. IellaWessiriNRI

Jan 3, 2001
    Oh yes, let's bring the terrorists into this. We're talking about an entire civilization of people being led by God as opposed to a group of deranged maniac radicalists claiming to be led by God.

7. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "Before the coming of Christ, God chose to associate Himself with the Jews."

From the Jews' point of view. Want to guess whose side the Vikings thought Odin was on? ;)

"We're talking about an entire civilization of people being led by God as opposed to a group of deranged maniac radicalists claiming to be led by God."

Both sides claimed to be led by God, both believed it just as much, and both killed without mercy with what they believed to be God' endorsement. Killing for God is killing for God, regardless of the difference in scale.

8. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, let's talk about hitler. He eliminated a bunch of sinners who didn't believe in jesus. Not only that, but by killing all those jews, he prevented them from leading others astray by convincing them the messiah hadn't come(like leading the kids into traffic.), right? Is there a difference here? All the people who were against God were killed all at once, that must have been the same thing as what God did thousands of years ago. (please don't ban me.)

9. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Oh, yeah, Ender, great quote. Except the Bible isn't God's only way of revealing Himself. He revealed Himself to His people many times in physical form during the OT, and then through the life of Christ.

You have evidence of this? Oh right, it's in the bible.

10. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, i guess the second coming will clear it all up.

11. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    The Jews didn't declare any "holy wars". They were promised a land, and told to take it completely so as not to be led into the false beliefs of the pagans (who were doing horrible things i.e., sacrificing eachother) occupying that land. They didn't claim to kill anyone and everyone that didn't believe the way they do.

12. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    false beliefs of the pagans (who were doing horrible things i.e., sacrificing eachother) occupying that land.

Pagans didn't sacrifice people. They sacrificed animals. If you read the OT you can see some of the same stuff going on in it.

13. IellaWessiriNRI

Jan 3, 2001
    cydonia, what's your point about Hitler?

Pagans didn't sacrifice people. They sacrificed animals. If you read the OT you can see some of the same stuff going on in it.

And where's your proof? Oh, right, it's in the Bible. And yes, the pagans sacrificed their children. And where's my proof? Oh, right, it's also in the Bible.

14. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    "They were promised a land, and told to take it completely so as not to be led into the false beliefs of the pagans (who were doing horrible things i.e., sacrificing eachother)"

I guess that's kind of the same thing as the harry potter/star wars book burnings of last week by the church. If there's something you don't like, just destroy it. Otherwise it'll take you over.

Their faith must have been pretty weak.

15. IellaWessiriNRI

Jan 3, 2001
    Their faith must have been pretty weak.

actually, it was.

16. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    It was weak, Cydonia. That's why they left God' path time and time again, and qwere in turn punished time and time again.

17. IellaWessiriNRI

Jan 3, 2001
    Well I'm going to have to say goodnight, time for me to do homework. Hopefully I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow. Viva la discussion!

18. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    And where's your proof? Oh, right, it's in the Bible. And yes, the pagans sacrificed their children. And where's my proof? Oh, right, it's also in the Bible.

Oh, yeah, a good unbiased source. *rolls eyes*

19. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
    My point about hitler was since we were discussing genocide as an example of God's love, then maybe hitler was an angel or something. Those jews were going to hell anyway, as soon as the concentration camps were done with them, so it's not like their lifes mattered. And again, if they would have lived, they could have led others into traffic by convincing people to not be christian, but jewish. Then even more people would have gone to hell. So in the end, there are probably less people in hell now then there would have been if those jews had lived.

That's the reasoning behind god wiping out all these people in ancient times, because they were wrong spritually. Maybe god told Hitler to do it so Germany wouldn't be mislead into believing that Judaism was a good religon (like the pagans didn't have a good religion). The nazis might have been led astray.

(don't ban me part two. hitler sucks and so does anyone else who thinks murder and god's love go hand in hand.)

20. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    This discussion is going nowhere. [face_plain]

[face_laugh]

Oh well. It's fun to argue, isn't it? ;)

'Night Iella. :)

Edit: There's more to God than love. Though I admit, everything He does He does out of love for someone.

21. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    Good discussion tonight, everyone; see ya next time.

22. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    See ya, Geist. :)

23. cydonia

Jun 6, 2001
  24. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Talk to you again, Darth.

25. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    To take Cydonia?s example further, wouldn?t it then be a good thing if we killed every child in the world born to non-Christians and sterilized the rest of them? We?d be doing them a favor. The kids, still being innocent, would go to Heaven. And the rest of those Hell-bound societies would soon disappear, leaving the world entirely Christian and a much better place.

Now wouldn't that be pleasent?

Gandolf, why is it that the only thing you can do is post OT references of how God is a killer?

IellaWessiriNRI, why is it that when confronted with the darker side of God, you immediately begin making excuses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.