main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does Nubia/ Nubian meen!?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    Inside the cover to the newer NJO books with the galaxy maps there is a box set aside with the planet Nubia, among others. Then, in TPM, Qui Gon tells Watto that His starship is a Nubian. But wait, that would mean the ship was made on Nubia, and not on the planet Naboo, where we are lead to believe it is really from. But even BEFORE that when Watto is speaking to Ani in his shop he starts speaking Huttesse, and when the subtitles say "Outlanders" Watto says... Nubians!! So this could mean that the ship was not made on Nubia or Naboo, but instead is the class of ship called, Nubian. idk, you figure it out.

2. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    The hyperdrive was manufactured on Nubia, but the ship was designed and built on Naboo.

It sounded to me like Watto said something like "hupdians." Whatever the word was, it was Huttese for "outsiders" and had nothing to do with Nubia.

3. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    Jason Lee wants to know the same thing. ;)

"Hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

4. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    In fact, most components of the N-1 come from Nubia, but the fighter themselves are assembled on Naboo with love... That's why they're such formidable starfighters. Naboo spends on a single starfighetr what some planets spend on a whole squadron.

And the word Watto says is 'ootmian', which is the huttese word for 'outlander'.

5. Vong_Killer

Aug 22, 2001
    How ironic that you say a ship manufactured with love is so effective for killing.

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Darth Vader is the blackest brother in the galaxy. He's a Nubian God.

I'm assuming Lando Calrissian is also a Nubian.

(J&SBSB is on DVD next week!!!!)

wk

7. Vong_Killer

Aug 22, 2001
    I knew i forgot something, Nubia is also an area of Egypt. Yes, the Egypt on earth. I think that word is way over used. Nubia

8. Master_MayimNaar

Master_MayimNaar Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2001
    Actually, Nubia was the ancient name of what its now Ethiopia, Somalia, and that region of east/central Africa. While some of the Nubians (black people groups) did push towards the north and inhabit portions of Egypt, they originated further south.

OK, remember, term papers are due two weeks from tomorrow and I'll be in my office on Thursday, but not Wednesday. :D

But as to the topic, I thought that Nubian could be a term referring to Naboo since Nabooian sounds odd. I think I do remember seeing that it was a seperate planet though. And "ootmian" (sp?) is the Huttese word for outlander based on the ongoing SW comic series mini-story "Outlander" featuring Ki-Adi and Sharad Hett. It's translated by a Jawa in the first issue of that story arc.

9. Vong_Killer

Aug 22, 2001
    i'll check that out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.