main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does Sion refer to?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthBale, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBale

DarthBale Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    I've googled this and checked out a few online dictionaries, but I can't find a fitting definition, so I'd thought I'd make a thread. All the Sith Lords with the Darth title, the second part of their name refers to something. Obviously, I get what Nihilius and Traya refer to, but not Sion. Any thoughts?

If there is a thread about this, my bad. I ran a search on here and didn't see anything.

2. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    I don't think Annedu, Malak, or Revan mean anything in particular.

The only thing I can think of is Scion, but that wouldn't really make much sense.

3. DarthBale

Jan 20, 2005
    Oh yeah, forgot about those 3. I thought the same thing regarding "scion." and wikipedia just said the same thing. It doesn't make much sense, aside from the fact that Sion is Traya's apprentice/heir/scion.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Scion is akin to a royal title. Darth Betrayal. Malak is classical Hebrew for nip off.

Revan is an usual name. It must mean something, but only the progammers would really know.

That sort of stuff?

5. DarthBale

Jan 20, 2005
    Yeah, that sort of stuff. Anneddu, Malak, Revan, and Bandon don't fit that template though.

6. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Well, Revan and Malak's names weren't changed; they simply added "Darth" before their given names. I have no idea about Andeddu, though.

All 3 Sith in KotOR 2 can be safely assumed to have changed their names. Kreia/Traya certainly did. It is doubtful that Nihilus' name was Nihilus before Malachor and his subsequent change; ditto with Sion. But we can't really know for sure, as neither character is developed at all (damn you Obsidian!).

Anyway, on the subject of Sion's name; I did a search on dictionary.com, and came up with a few meanings, most of which have to do with the Jewish Zion (of which Sion is the Greek spelling).

Two which seem worthy of consideration, though, are these:

sion

elevated. (1.) Denotes Mount Hermon in Deut. 4:48; called Sirion by the
    Sidonians, and by the Amorites Shenir (Deut. 3:9).

sion

Sion, noise; tumult

So, two possible meanings are "elevated" and "noise/tumult". Perhaps he was "elevated" by his anger and hatred, allowing him to live far beyond his appointed time? Or maybe he exists as a "tumult", a shout of the Force maybe, where Nihilus and the Exile exist as dead spots or "silence" in the Force.

Kinda interesting.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>and Bandon don't fit that template though. <<

abandon

8. DarthBale

Jan 20, 2005
    haha, that one was staring me right in the face. I told myself it couldn't be that simple though.

9. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Kind of a weak name, but then he was a weak Sith, so ...

10. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Everytime I see Andeddu, I think "And dead too...." ;)

As Andeddu wasn't a member of the actual Sith race, then it's possible that Andeddu was just his real name or an awe-inspiring word in his race's language.

11. DukeDooku

DukeDooku Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    The makers of KOTOR already stated that Revan was created by swapping the letters of Raven.

But I suppose one could still create an 'in-universe' explanation for why this was chosen. Though it always seemed to me that Revan's name was such even prior to his fall to the darkside. As was Malak's, if we're to believe the Jedi Council on Dantooine.

12. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Scion means heir; Sion is the heir to the Sith traditions. Doesn't have to be too complex. Darths Maul and Tyranus are pretty easily explained, so there isn't always some super-secret hidden meaning behind the names of the Dark Lords.

13. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Revan = Raven, huh? Well, that's pretty good... sort of an avatar of ill tidings and death. There are worse things for a Sith to be assoiciated with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.