main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does the TV Show need to be successful?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    One lightsaber fight an episode I don't think that will happen maybe a few or some a season. I guess it just depends on the season. You don't need lightsaber battles every episode for people to tune in. You need good characters, a good plot every episode, and good dialouge. I think lightsaber duels will happen occasionally in the TV Show. For the opening they may do the movie openings or they could change it up and play brand new Star Wars music or the classic music showing us the charcters and the cast.

2. Young_Punk

Young_Punk Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    I think most of the new fans GL has made has been because of lightsabers.(I think the show shouldnt be all about jedi but at least some jedi.)

3. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yeah I think the TV Show needs some Jedi.

4. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    What made clone wars good? 3minutes filled with Jedi and Clones! Lightsabers, guns and near 100% action! thats what people will want! I'm not saying I want it but 'people' do.

5. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    I'd say the same crew that worked on the movies.

6. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Jedi, Action, Explosions and exotic locations.

Let's face it. Average viewers do not care about the drama of the characters as much as we do. They want cool FX and cool battles.

I hope they can arrange it to give us both. Great character interaction and lots of action.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You're considering the wrong "average viewing audience"- it's really quite different for sci-fi television than sci-fi movies. Every sci-fi show has action, explosions and exotic locations- what distinguishes them (besides their style- which is also a key factor SW brings to the table) is the quality of the characters, acting and storytelling. It's these factors that make or break a genre show.

People looking for just action can find it elsewhere on shows with better characters, acting, etc if Star Wars does not bring these things to the plate.

8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The show must haved Jedi, and some sort of red lightsaber-wielding opponents. Otherwise, the show will fail. It will be Andromeda, Star Trek, Star Gate, Babylon, Firefly, or some other crap. No one wants to watch Senators discuss how to secretly divert funds to purchase X-Wings for a growing rebellion (WE do, but most NORMAL people don't). You must have big space battles, big metal walking things that shoot lasers, smugglers, bounty hunters and other assorted low-lives, speeders, aliens, monsters, some politics, and, above all, lightsaber battles.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Otherwise, the show will fail. It will be Andromeda, Star Trek, Star Gate, Babylon, Firefly, or some other crap.<<

Your statements are contradictory- with exception to Andromeda (which itself has somehow managed to survive like 4 seasons), all of those franchises have either been hugely successful (Trek, up until recently; Stargate being a top-rated show that has really become the longest running sci-fi show ever), met with high critical success (Firefly, despite cancellation, getting a theatrical film) or a mixture of both (Babylon 5 being a huge DVD seller and still being considered one of the top 3 most influential american sci-fi shows and is probably the most likely model for the Star Wars series to follow- well, that or Farscape).

10. JediKink

JediKink Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    I think what people are trying to say is that though those show do well on sci-fi, they would never make it on one of the "Big 4." They would never get above above a 15.0 ever, not even on the premire. They were created for a specialized audience, but the core networks need a certain type of show that will appeal to the audience type they could make advertiseable to everyone, thereby making the show a hit that will draw audiences like Lost and CSI.

We would love the show, but we are part of a subcategory that is specialized to Sci-Fi. Others might not be so keen on the show.

11. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    The Star Wars movies deal with the fate of the entire galaxy. Thats why we see all the epic space battles, fights, huge things exploding, and all kind of extraordinary stuff. If there are good characters in this show, it will be worth watching without them flipping out and throwing lightsabers at each other every thirty seconds. You dont need all that stuff when it isnt on such a big scale. This is not going to be like a new Star Wars movie each episode, it will be its own story when it is complete. I know its going to bridge the gap and everything, but that doesnt mean it has to focus on important established characters, the characters in the show can learn whats going on in their galaxy while dealing with their own dramas.

12. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    While I do agree with you but wouldn't the TV Show still be good if it had a few Jedi occasionally and lightsaber duels occasionally. No one knows if there even is going to be Jedi in the TV Show if they are they could be the focus or appear in the TV Show occasionally but I personally want Jedi and lightsaber duels and I think the non die hard and some die hard fans will want them also maybe Jedi and lightsaber duels could even bring in more fans.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I think what people are trying to say is that though those show do well on sci-fi, they would never make it on one of the "Big 4." <<

Actually, I think it's a safe bet that they would- NBC tried to grab Battlestar Galactica from Sci-fi after it did such constant huge numbers, if only for reairing. SG-1, IIRC, has done high-to-record buisness in syndication on the big networks. Trek survived similairly. Though B5 and Farscape might not have done as well since they appeal to a more intelligent audience looking for even more involving storywork.

14. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Also, who is this show gonna be aimed at? Adults, Kids, Teenagers? I cant see Kids watching something to do with the rebelion, but I cant see Adults watching non-stop lightsabers and Jedi, (most of them) have more complex minds and want something with more plot.

15. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I think people are forgetting here that Jedi/Sith did not MAKE the movies or at least the OT. It was the entire package -- Smugglers, Rebels, Imperials, Princesses, Smoothies, Bounty Hunters, Aliens Droids, Sith and Jedi. I don't want to just see a Jedi fighting. That's fun and all but it isn't what makes SW. Important part, sure. But what would SW be without Han Solo? Chewie? The droids?

It needs to be a mix and a good mix. They may aim it at a younger market but remember, it is we parents that buy the goods ;)

16. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    The people want to see a mixture between the "good-old star wars feeling" and action. They dont want to see some unknown Jedi fighting, they want Vader or Obi Wan!

I bet this show will focus on the jedi purges, my guess is that that is something both the fans and the others want. Both recognisable characters (Vader!) and a lot of quality action.

17. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    This is just my opinion, but I think an entirely new plot with limited connections to the original saga is the recipe for success. As much as there is to tell in the Galactic Civil War era, honestly, it can easily get boring if we are drummed with the usual Darth Vader/Boba Fett stuff. I think it's time to move on to the future, after the latest event on the entire Star Wars continuity (after the NJO) and focus on a new galaxy full of new threats, new discoveries, etc. If Lucas had the ability to make ten TV shows, I would definitely hope one of them would focus on the events between Episode III and IV (an X-Wing series, perhaps), but he's only making one live-action TV show, so I am hoping he does the right thing and moves forward.

Plus, if he does, we'll see the New Jedi Order in action, which undoubtedly means lightsaber combat. You always have to keep the product fresh, especially for the most loyal of followers.

A lot of people also refer to people wanting the "Star Wars atmosphere" in the TV series as well. That's totally understandable, and nobody loves the Star Wars atmosphere better than I do (hence the name). But one thing that made Star Wars so great and revolutionary was that it pushed the envelope, it brought something not only new, but also great into our lives. What I want to see is Lucas do that once more, this time on the small screen, and that's what someone was referring to in the thread about Lucas possibly changing the way TV shows are made. So while holding true to the Star Wars atmosphere will make the show successful, I think the show will be both successful and absolutely memorable if Lucas changes direction and tries a new style.

18. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Tarkin should appear.

Stormtroopers.

A few cameos of Emperor Palpatine in the series as a holo.

19. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I think people would be okay with a new chracter who is a Jedi we've got to know the other Jedi and Sith so much I think it's time for us to get to know more Jedi and some Dark Jedi. I would like to see Vader occasionally but I don't know if he's going to be in the TV Show because there is not going to be any major characters in the TV Show but then again you never know.

20. MASTERJOEDA1974

MASTERJOEDA1974 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Little Luke growing up is probably not what people want. This of this. You follow a lone Jedi, hiding from the new empire, and you esentially get to see his adventures up to the final episode which he is shown being hunted down and killed by none other than Vader himself. You can fill in the rest with whatever storyline you want just as long as it doesn't interfere with the movies. I think Lucas should go that route.

21. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    That would be fine or it could focus on a Few Jedi together and their adventures or it could just focus on a Few Jedi in different places and their adeventures.

22. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I keep saying this, but every Sci-Fi television series look pretty fake. You can tell they are on a sound stage, and that everything was made by the prop department. Every sci-fi series looks like a cheap 1980's B-movies. With horrible graphics. Maybe they should wait ten years until the graphics can catch up on television.

Because I hate Star Trek, StarGate, anything on the Sci-Fi station...they all look cheaply done, and the acting is b-movie terrible.

I hope this won't drag star wars down to be another laughable star trek franchise.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think you're underestiomating the quality of some of those show effects- Stargate Atlantis was doing effects not even feature films were doing, for example.

24. General_Grievous1138

General_Grievous1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 9, 2004
    Han Solo. He is the most popular star wars charectar. along with boba fett.

25. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    The two Stargate shows are awesome. I hope the Star Wars show has as broad a range of characters as they do, except I hope they have a more "singular" storyline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.