main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What does TPM even have to do with the rest of the PT?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by B4DaDrkX, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Obi-Wan serving Bail Organa as a General in the Clone Wars is hardly a tiny matter that should occur off-screen. But wait, I forgot, this is the PT, where nearly ALL of the important events occur off-screen. My mistake. ;)

2. Master_Grover

Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    He said "I believe" such and such will happen. We'll try looking around for other threads first next time, if you try looking at the thread you're commenting on next time.

Still, the pessimism is unwarranted IMO. Nothing you guys have said warrants this leap.

3. Master_Grover

Aug 22, 2002

Obi-Wan serving Bail Organa as a General in the Clone Wars is hardly a tiny matter that should occur off-screen.

When you put it in the grand scheme of things, its petty. However, we just might see this occur in EP3, but theres no foul in Lucas merely mentioning it IMO.

"OB1's comments to Luke in ANH painted a very, VERY, different picture than what took place in TPM.

From a certain POV. George cant police POV's now can he? ;)

Remember, OB1 never even saw Anakin pilot anything when they met. Not the podrace, and not... Anakin's star piloting skill, but you're saying that when describing Anakin he chose to say "when I met him, he was the best star pilot in the galaxy"? Uh... ok.

Once again, do we truly need to have a scene where Someone drills Obi Wan on the piloting skills of Anakin just for obi wan to go "HMMMMMM!! Ill be sure to tell this to his son!" Can this not be insinuated!? How petty can you get? It happened. Trust logic. Read between the lines, because thats incredibly petty. If George was to back up each and every single petty statement about what happened when, hed have to tackle like 15 movies in all. Lets be real.

Fulfilling a promise to his dying master equals arrogance? Again - uh... ok.

Adali
    And Obi-Wan didn't take it upon himself to train Anakin? Those words are the only account of the story we've had before, and it doesn't matter what you personally pictured the events to be like. Yes, Qui-Gon DOES make Obi-Wan promise to train the boy (in one of my fave SW scenes, btw). And Obi-Wan takes it upon himself to carry his master's responsibilities. He champions the training of Anakin, despite Yoda's warnings.

He couldve insisteed on another master.

You try to make it seem like this is just a small detail, and maybe it is, but when you're expecting "the best star pilot in the galaxy" and you get a ten year old who has never flown a starship, well... I'm just saying the fans aren't exactly out of line by saying "Hey, this isn't what you said happened!"

Well if some look closer, they might see where it all comes together. Podracing is very related to piloting. The same stresses to the pilot are applied. And I heard somewhere that anakin says that hes piloted before he could even walk. Actual or not, the point remains: GL said that he got his skills from podracing, so we are to assume (being that this is fantasy) that the large vehicle with 2 jet engines mounted on it and could go 500MPH, gave him the base skills needed at an extremely young age (DUH).

Whats so hard about this? Its not rocket science people.

Clones can "think"? I thought they were essentially brainwashed to be "easy to control"...Hmmmm...how is that any different than the battle droids, who seem to have some individual cognition in TPM at times. Like I said

I knew someone was gonna be victim to this pitfall. Easy to control humans is not the same as a programmed droid. Theyre more DEPENDANT, not robots. The complex human brain has still been left to function far greater than that of a mere droid. Like it or not, understand it or not, GL sets the laws for his fictional entity. Theres no brainscans of a clone that i can post here that disprove you.

Im about done...whose got next shift?

4. ROYCE_DARKLIGHTER

ROYCE_DARKLIGHTER Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Ofcourse TPM influences the rest of the SW Saga.

It shows everyones origins and where they were from. Anakin is the most important character in th PT, that is why we have a 9 year old boy even if a lot of ppl dont like it.

It is true with things such as the droids but again it is interesting as to where they came from. Ppl want to know evey possible detail about SW and the TPM gives where they all came from.

5. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Whooo-hooo! How's bout them Patriots?! :D

I just feel that there is very little that links TPM to the OT or even AOTC. Very little, if anything that occurs in TPM carries over into Episode II. I think that if Obi-Wan's and Anakin's relationship was established (a handshake does NOT make a relationship IMO!) we would be emotionally involved with them in AOTC and the falling out in III would be all the more tragic. But, instead of establishing ANY relationship in TPM, GL spends a good 10 minutes on ripping off the Ben Hur chariot race. I just want a LITTLE bit of character development...is that too much to ask for?

6. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Ferelwookie, all your excellent remarks are wasted on the Defenders of the Waste. I wonder if these people have the ability, at all, to see the difference between a good movie and a bad movie. Personal tastes aside, "The Phantom Menace" is about the worst piece of crap ever to have been thrown into the public consciousness, with the exception of "Attack of the Clones".

7. Spaced

Spaced Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    bloody hell its ReeYees- the StarWarsFanWhoDoesntLikeStarWars

8. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    That's true - I don't like it. I LOVE Star Wars.

The prequels are not Star Wars. It has a lot of similar character names, which is weird enough, and it also takes place in a galaxy far, far away..but that's it. The prequels try to be a rip-off.

9. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    "Everything" ~ Yoda :p

Emotions with Shmi - Palps rise to power - Hiding of the Sith - Disappearing stuff - Ani who meets Padme ...

TPM wasn't great, but it was a good ouverture to the saga. It contains all we need for the other episodes.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    This is like asking what shoelaces have to do with shoes. You guys can obviously type and log onto the Internet, you -must- at the very least have the most basic elements of brain functionality.

Right?

11. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Wow, Go-Mer - you've changed. At least in the past you used to veil your insults. There are some thematic elements that link TPM to the rest of the saga, but these are very few or second-hand. I've seen it in other threads that draw a parallel stylistically between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - a rather apt comparison, I think.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Maybe it has something to do with my best friend being killed in a car accident last week.

I should stay away until I can deal with it better.

13. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm sorry to hear that, truly, but insulting people on an internet board isn't a healthy way of grieving.

14. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Prunef8ce - I thought you got permabaned. Maybe in my old age, my memory is just going bad. ?[face_plain]

EDIT - yes, that is indeed sorry to hear Gomer. :(

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I just need to be more mindful. Thanks for your concern.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Take care Go-Mer. :)

Peace.

ShaneP

Now, back to the others [face_devil]

In Jedi, Obi-Wan says " When I first met him, your father was already a great pilot. But, I was amazed at how strong the force was with him. I TOOK IT UPON MYSELF to train him as a Jedi."

For the Jedi Ultimate Edition Lucas will change it to say:

"When I first met him, your father was already a great pilot. I thought he was just another pathetic lifeform, but Qui-Gon did not. Before he died, I promised him I'd train him as a Jedi."

See the difference? I already know the answer. No surprise. [face_plain]

17. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    Well, since Super Grover has chosen to go with the tied for 1st place all time weakest arguement("certain pov", tied with "it was the will of the force"), I may be bailing out of this convo. But first...

"Once again, do we truly need to have a scene where Someone drills Obi Wan on the piloting skills of Anakin just for obi wan to go "HMMMMMM!! Ill be sure to tell this to his son!" Can this not be insinuated!? How petty can you get? It happened. Trust logic. Read between the lines, because thats incredibly petty. If George was to back up each and every single petty statement about what happened when, hed have to tackle like 15 movies in all. Lets be real."

Admit it - at this point you've just decided you're not going to concede anything, no matter what, right? One plus one equals two, and you'd dispute it. Obi-Wan never saw him fly anything, but it's the one detail that stands out in his memory years later? I understand he was most likely told that Anakin had won a pod race, and he was probably told that Anakin had stowed away aboard a fighter and was responsible for the destruction of the TF ship. But you're saying that 30-40 years later, that's the most significant memory he has of first meeting Anakin? Something he didn't see, and was later told about? Not to mention the fact that "best star pilot in the galaxy" wouldn't be true anyway. Are you saying that Anakin buttom-mashing makes a better pilot than somebody like Han Solo? Are you saying that there were no great pilots, Han Solo equivalents, during this time period? That he would consider a ten-year old kid with great reflexes, but no knowledge of starships controls, worthy of the best in the galaxy tag? Or are you saying Obi-Wan was just really flaky?

"He couldve insisteed on another master." (I'm assuming you meant "insisted".)

After making a promise to his dying Master?!? Apparently, OB1 is not only a flake, but now he's shallow as well. This goes back to you arguing any and everything, because that is a laughable statement. You think a promise made to a dying man is something a Jedi tosses aside? I can't figure out whether this is just another case of the standard Lucas worship, or you just have an incredibly low opinion of the OB1 character.

18. Master_Grover

Aug 22, 2002
    I wonder if these people have the ability, at all, to see the difference between a good movie and a bad movie...

The prequels try to be a rip-off.

Vice versa and hardly. Look guys, Obviously this little discussion about nothing on a message board means more to you than it does to me.

point and case: whatever.

Awaiting the fanboys to quote this and call it a lame argument. [face_laugh]

Enjoy your hamster wheel of a topic. Peace..

PS: sorry to hear that Gomer.

19. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    What's lame is your stooping to tired insults.

20. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    It's very lame. There have been manysubstantive, legitimate arguments raised here and those in opposition are just coming back with insults and cop outs.

TPM has very little to do with anything. Obi Wan, QG, Anakin as a slave etc. could have been intorduced in a completely different manner that much more fully incorporated the rest of the saga. Instead we are "introduced" to Jar Jar Binks who goes from being the star to a bit player in 1 movie.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Agreed RS.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Does it have nothing to do with the rest of the saga, or are you just not able to see the connection?

It's like saying the first sequence in Raiders has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

Ludicrous and dismissive.

23. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Star Wars fans are the worst kind of "fans".

24. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Does it have nothing to do with the rest of the saga, or are you just not able to see the connection?

It's like saying the first sequence in Raiders has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

Ludicrous and dismissive.

Which I'm sure you'll be able to demonstrate in explicit detail as proof of your argument, rather than simply dismissing the critiques in question.

25. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Slave2 - You realize that applies to both bashers and gushers, don't you? ;)

EDIT - QS was too fast for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.