main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what does 'tracked' mean?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ooban, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ooban

ooban Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    In the context of someone trying to compile a complete set of music from a film, I have seen the word 'tracked' used in describing some of the tracks/cues in the compilation. Does this mean that the music is taken from the soundtrack of the movie (ie with sound effects/dialog included) or is there another meaning?

Thanks.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If something is "tracked in" it means music from a different source was used. For example, much of the music from the end of AotC was tracked in from TPM and ROTJ, and lots of music by Goldsmith and others was tracked into Kingdom of Heaven.

3. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    There was no Return of the Jedi music in Attack of the Clones.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    My mistake.

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Right. Parts of ROTS were tracked in as well. For example, "Landing The Invisible Hand" was tracked from "The Tide Turns/The Death Of Darth Maul" from TPM. Anakin's march on the Jedi temple was tracked from "The Arena" from AOTC.

So either the score recorded for a particular scene is replaced by other existing music (usually to the chagrin of fans), or else no score was recorded for a scene (often the case with late edits) and other existing music is "tracked in".

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I could've sworn the beginning of Sail Barge Assault was used when R2 pulls Threepio's head off the battle droid's body.

7. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    It means that the composer wasnt given enough time to compose music for the scene. Or that the director didnt use it for whatever reason (late edits/personal taste.)

8. ooban

ooban Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    It's been niggling away at the back of my brain for a while. Now the itching has stopped!

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.