main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA What does WA really need?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kartanym, Sep 7, 2004.

?

What does WA really need?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. A south of the river train system?

14.3%
  2. More entertainment centres?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A bigger nightclub district just for Goths?

14.3%
  4. The worlds largest cinema?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Anything .. as long as it's better then the bloody bell tower?

35.7%
  6. It has all it needs.

14.3%
  7. Who really cares ... I'm moving away next year.

21.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
  2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Kinda obvious topic really. There's been a lot of talk recently about what WA 'lacks'. I thought I'd get everyone's opinion on the issue....

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I'm moving next year to Ireland so **** WA ;)

but yeah we need stuff...i dunno what but this city is so bleeding boring!

4. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I'm torn...

I don't think we really need "more entertainment centres", just more bands that want to actually come and visit. And by "more bands" I mean DECENT ones! Like Depeche Mode, The Cure... And... Umm... I can't think of any others at the moment. Either way, I'm sick of good bands missing Perth on their tours. I'm sick of having to sign a petition to maybe get to see a band. I don't have the money for a ticket for a concert as well as airfare over to Sydney...

And also not necessarily a "bigger nightclub district just for Goths" but a more Goth friendly atmosphere around the place. It takes guts to walk around in something that you yourself feels comfortable in, and it really shouldn't. Some of the Goth clothing is the most beautiful things ever seen. But heaven forbid you actually get to walk around wearing it without being asked if you can cast spells on people, being told that Halloween isn't until October, not to mention all the abuse that Goths get from all the other subcultures. We tolerate you guys, why the hell can't you tolerate us?

But then there's always "Anything .. as long as it's better then the bloody bell tower?"

But hey, who knows. I might even go for "Who really cares ... I'm moving away next year"

EDIT: Kartanym, you put the Goth one in there just for me didn't you? :p I think there are now a total of 3 Goths on these boards. 2 of them are new members, and I haven't met one of these, so whether or not he counts himself as a "Goth" I don't know.

EDIT 2: Oh, and by on these boards I actually meant still living in WA.

5. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    An Enema.

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    The bell towers says to things to me. The opera house is giving a "favour" or two cockroaches are having sex.

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Voted. I am one for changeless mediocrity. :D

8. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    FA: Yeah they both are, and they've been lurking without posting!

9. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    What, no swift kick in the rear option? damn

The Swan river flowing with beer option isnt there either :( (probably be too polluted anyway)

hmmmmmmmmmm,

Scratch that new entertainment center, I want a 500m high Bronze jawa on the fore-shore, using the belltower to pick its teeth. (lets face it, the most practical use the belltower will ever have). Yep, WA needs more 500m high jawas imo...

10. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well I'm not a goth but I've found that most of what people say is lacking in Perth is actually here. Personally I get sick of people complaining about lack of decent techno events for example, and then you go to a techno night with quality DJs (even international DJs) and hardly anyone turns up. I don't know if it's the same in the goth community but I think the perth entertainment scene would be a lot better if more people supported what we already have.
    Radio is another example. People complain about crappy music on commercial radio and how commercial stations like RTR are so much better, but how many of these people actually support RTR by subscribing to keep the station going.
    Anyway, I agree with the original post that more is needed in Perth but I think a big part of the problem is the apathy of people in Perth. You appreciate Perth's entertainment a heck of a lot more after living in a place like Kalgoorlie where every single night spot's entertainment is limited to either skimpys and/or a video screen playing top 40 R&B music videos.

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Perth's Goth scene is actually very supportive of events organised for it, (at least those organised around going out to liscensed venues) Anyway, there's at least two ppl posting here who would have more insight into that.

But you're right in saying that for mainstream events, it gets organised and there's not much interest generated, I remember a few bands that answered petitions to go to Perth and then cancelled the concert due to lack of interest, although this could also be attributed to the high ticket prices slapped on by the promoters thinking they have a guaranteed audience.

But I've lived in Perth for about 25 of my 32 years, and I think i know what it needs.

A population transplant.

Get rid of your average redneck idiot intolerant hooligan and the place would be much nicer.

12. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    But us hooligans are great!
    HeHe I think I know the type you're referring to though

13. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I have to agree with Soneil,

I think Perth is fine the way it is and it's not until you live somewhere that has nothing like that that you appreciate it.

I invite everyone to come stay in Wiluna for a few weeks, the only places to go are the local pub (I would not be caught dead in there) or out to the local minesite for dinner in their mess hall (good food there).

I enjoyed Sydney while I was there but it was still nice to go home to Perth.

14. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Well, I invite everyone to come to Sydney and check things out here :)

Of course, it does depend what you're into, but if you like a population that is tolerant of different lifestyles, the ability to do your weekly shopping at 10pm on a monday night, the ability to get absolutely anywhere by public transport, the range of eating establishments and a city that doesn't have absolutely everything that's going on after 6pm located only in the city centre, then Sydney is da bomb...

And that's without me getting started on Starbuck's and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts...

15. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Please don't mention those sort of things,

I'd be happy if I could get crappy coles donuts here.

16. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Dude, after Kripsy Kreme, Coles doughnuts are dog food doughnuts...

17. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    'Puts fingers in ears'

La La LA, not listening.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    but if you like a population that is tolerant of different lifestyles, the ability to do your weekly shopping at 10pm on a monday night, the ability to get absolutely anywhere by public transport, the range of eating establishments and a city that doesn't have absolutely everything that's going on after 6pm located only in the city centre, then Sydney is da bomb...

I'm going to Melbourne in about 24 hours and it fits that description down to a nipple :)
    Can't wait...it's my sister's engagement party and her fiance' (spelling?) has the same name as me! And He is buying me a **** load of Guinness...pitty it aint the authentic malt Guinness but it'll do ;)

But I wouldn't mind going to Sydney some day soon.

19. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    I have to agree with Gecko on this one......

Either that or 40,000 volts up the clacker..... its not the events or what there is to do, there is stuff to do in droves if you know where to look. It is the apathy the general bitchiness and lack of support for these events that causes them to die prematurely that ****s me off.

MEh :rolleyes:

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    You go girl! [face_dancing]

Ahwell at least most of us have the film to do on weekends. Wait, that dosn't help at all! [face_thinking]

21. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Over here, you can do films during the week :)

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Ooooh gonna keep rubbin' it in ay wise guy? ;)

...bastard :)

23. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Sydney's a much better place since the olympics. Before the olympics Sydney sucked. Crappy public transport, no decent places to eat unless you don't mind McDonalds (and I do mind McDonalds). No decent freeways connecting different parts of the city. Ever since the olympics they've fixed up the transport a lot, you can now get all the takeway places you can get in Perth plus a lot more that Perth never had. And it's a lot easier to drive around the city (even if you do have to pay toll), though it still take well over an hour to drive a distance that would belike going from Perth to Midland. Sydney's roads suck but Sydney makes up for it by having much better and less selfish drivers IMHO. I guess that goes along with what SM said about sydney people being nicer in a lot of ways.
    All that considered I still prefer Perth to Sydney though for a number of different reasons.

24. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    The drivers in Melbourne have to be the worst in the world!

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually, we're pretty good. You just have to get used to driving AT the speed limit, rather than 20kph below it like you Perth drivers usually do. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.