main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA What does your screen name mean?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Callisto_DAerisian, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005
    Curious since I discussed with JedHead1 and Skye_Solo at the Sat. meeting. What does your screen name mean/how did you come up with it? Mine is from a character on Xena (a villain, actually) and I am an Aries, so I just made the last part up to sound like "Calrissian."

Also, as the newbie, someone please explain why saying "May the Force be with you" is no longer cool? :oops: LOL [face_laugh]

It's timeless!!! That was cute on Saturday though. [face_blush]

2. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Like I stated in the "member check-in" thread above, it is phonetically pronounced "Anuhzhen Skywalker," like Anakin of course. But the play on words, and double-meaning is a sort of political statement for lack of Asian actor representation in the Star Wars saga - in spite of the major Asian influence. The Ewoks don't count, even though they do speak Tagalog. ;) And as it relates to my Luke ANH costume, I make it as though I was actually cast as Luke, instead pretending to be: Blond Haired, cleft-chinned, blue-eyed Mark Hamill.

As far as the famous phrase. It it still works. And I actually got "Thank yous" from customers at a Matthew Wood signing that I was working, when I said it to them on their way out.

So with that...MTFBWY!

3. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Nice question!

Mine sn Jedi_Tenken is a combination of things that have developed out of a ninjitsu class I use to take and an anime called Rurouni Kenshin. The Jedi part is self explanitory. "Tenken" however, is Japanese and means "Heavenly Sword" or rather someone with blessed natural sword skill without prior teaching. It could be loosely translated into "Sword of Heaven" or "Heaven's Sword" depending on context. For me I got my first sword when I was ten and was mostly self-taught at first. When I took taijitsu courses (and some Kendo/"The Way of the Sword" prior) I happened to get some of my dojo classmates to watch Rurouni Kenshin (An excellent anime about an wandering samurai named Kenshin that give this oath never to kill after he gives up being the ultimate asassin during the Bakamatsu [end of the Edo Dynasty]. Later Kenshin has to fight this one swordsman named Tenken no Soujiro or "Heavenly Sword Soujiro" who gave Kenshin a run for his credits/yen/ryo in speed and ability in kenjitsu [sword techniques]).

This was also about the time we were formally introduced into some interesting sword techniques in my class. Some of my friends started calling me Tenken because my sword control was unusualy fast overall and my control was always natural and fluid. Applying sword technique to saber skills is not too different other than you can not touch a lightsaber blade therefore it takes away somewhat from certain kenjitsu techniques that involves a constant solid blade you can touch. Anyway, Jedi Tenken would be a Jedi who has ultimate natural lightsaber skill. Neat eh?

Also let it be know that I believe in katsujinken or "the protecting sword" as opposed to satsujinken "the killing sword". In many schools of fighting this is an important consideration and is further determinate of individual fighting styles.

4. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Isnt the pilot in Return of the Jedi who yells "There's Too many of Them!" Asian? :)

While Toshiro Mifune was considered to play Obi, you're right... there is a lack of Asians in the galaxy far, far away. Bai Ling got cut from EP3 and those wonky accents of Nute Gunray and company get under my skin more than jar jar ever did...

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    My name came from my brother when we were in line for Episode I, and and interviewer asked why there were no catchy names for Star Wars fans, like "Trekkies". So, since the atmosphere of the line-up was like Woodstock, instead of DeadHeads for the Grateful Dead, he came up with "JedHeads", which ended up not only on the front page of the paper the next day, but in a Doonesbury comic strip not long after. :)

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    My screen name is obviously not Star Wars related or original. I started out at the force.net boards in the costuming forum and I used a screen name I had used at other forums to make life easy for myself. I had no idea at the time I'd be around this long! It's simply a play on my pre-marriage initials K.D. No disresepect to the hubby implied, he's the one who continued to refer to me by my old initials after we got married.

- Kay Dee

7. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Luke is my favorite character so I wanted a name that had something to do with "Skywalker" . I considered Starkiller, thought up Starwalker, but I thenstarted thinking of Star Wars related things and thought of a spice smuggler, and then got Starsmuggler from that.

8. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Well, Rose, I definitely like MTFBWY...it just seemed funny cause you hardly ever hear anyone say it (at least me), but it's really cool to hear it. If not to many people say it, it has a sense of novelty, so I love hearing it from time to time. Seems more genuine!

My name came from an island of Scotland called Skye, and then of course it has SW associations, then Solo, cause I like Han Solo, and I thought it sounded good together. Nothing more than that.

9. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    I wish I had a cooler story. i started jawbreaker666 playing warcraft 3 online, and then to make it easy on me i just kept it for everything else. Jawbreaker is a band that I loved growing up, and the 666 is just cause the name part was already taken, and it sounded a bit tougher for warcraft then saying 123. anyhoo, maybe i'll change it one day:)

10. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Hope you guys don't mind that I drop my 2 cents here. I do post here often enough. ;)

My SN is a character I created for a role play waaaayyyy back in the days of Prodigy classic when our SNs were alphanumeric based on date of joining (i.e. DNXR19C is the third person listed on the DNXR19 account). When chat-based RPs had little to no rules and my character was killed and resurrected so many times it became a trademark. I got her name from the EU books (Tionne) and for my love of raptors...Tionne Hawk just kinda flowed and "felt" like who I was and who I still am. :)

11. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, my screen name is pretty self-explanatory, so no real mystery there. Course I use the Master Kenobi as a homage to McGregor's portrayal. (Not that I didn't like Sir Alec, always did..but the character really came to life for me when Ewan stepped into the boots and picked up the saber.) Who woulda through that Old Man had that kind of background...[face_laugh]

And hey Dale, I think you make a GREAT Luke! And I know the feeling about casting. I used to get so sick of hearing... "If your were a guy you'd be the next Harrison Ford," when I went to auditions. ARGGGHHHHH! (Couse I actually got my SAG card portraying a guy, and did a couple of other roles as a male, cause they could't cast em, or the guy didn;t show at the last minute and they knew I could pull it off ..which was hysterical. Did more work as myself, but got the better and more fun roles portraying males. - Go Fig!) But I do understand the frustrations.

This is really interesting..so let's hear from some more people! :)

And before I forget, I don't think "May The Force Be With You" has died out at all...in fact I seem to hear it even more than before, and with much more feelings to it than just a phrase.

So.. MTFBWY! =D=

12. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    P.S. Callisto - sorry if my reaction on Saturday to the MTFBWY implied that it was uncool to say it. If anyone could pull it off in a genuine and cool way it's you ;) It was more like 'oh no, what do those casual passers-by think?' Not that I should care, I'm the one who shows up to premieres in costume right? LOL! I just figured it would be like walking by a group of Star Trek fans and they told us to "live long and prosper". Just kind-of funny in a way ;)

- Kay Dee

13. Callisto_DAerisian

May 26, 2005
    no worries, kathy! that was really funny though, totally memorable. i just crack up when i think about it! [face_laugh] you know what, those tourists sure have something to tell about the presidio when they get back home!

by the way i am a trekkie and i used to always say "live long and prosper" too. at the premiere when the trekkies came into our theater i told them to LLAP and that it was ok because i was "bi" too LOL! i had to help them out because they were getting booed it was so funny though. (ok for the guys who may be re-reading the line, i only mean bi as in star wars/trek!)[face_peace]

master--kenobi is right, when i do say MTFBWY, it means something to me, almost spiritual... ok getting a bit deep, i know, but it really is. O:)

ok dudes, this is really kewl to read the histories of your SNs. thanks for sharing, and keep 'em comin!

14. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    Well, mine's pretty damn obvious isn't? I'm in LOVE with Anakin/Hayden! He's my future husband he just doesn't know it yet!

15. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    Zero has a lightsaber and Zero is my hero.

Here is a pic of him.

[image=http://www.toysnjoys.com/gbadvance/rockmanzero.jpg]

16. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I don't think MtFbwy you should be meant as something like a standard "good bye" or anything of that nature because then it sounds too common placed and awkward. I'd only say it if someone was about to go off an face something unusually challenging before parting ways OR if you were to part ways for a long time. Also it only sounds messed up if someone says it in a mocking tone...

17. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I've often wondered why SW fans don't have a gesture to go along with MTFBWY, like ST fans make the Vulcan "V" with their fingers. Any ideas?

18. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    tuck your forearm in back of you leaving a "lightsaber cauterized stump", then wiggle

errr on second thought

19. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    I heard he was gay.

20. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    ROFLMBJAO!!! Sorry, Matt, but that just brought to mind my favorite pic of Ewan in costume, doing HIS favorite two-fingered gesture towards the camera (along with the big grin!)...

So, I guess at least ONE Jedi has a gesture already in use. [face_laugh]

21. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Mine is pretty simple. It's from my costume.

22. Callisto_DAerisian

May 26, 2005

Bridget I do believe you have been adopted by the SFFF; your input is always welcome!

Hayden is not gay! I was with him just last night... [face_love]

23. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    Zero_has_lightsaber Posted:

"I heard he was gay"

He's not. That was a popular rumor. Let's say for a moment he was ... if he met me - he would turn ;-)

24. Rogue6

Rogue6 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I am the sixth Rogue. Not very ellaborate ;)

MTFBWY! it's cool so long as it isn't used to frequently / played out

25. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Okay here is the long and boring story about how the screenname Harlock415 came about. A long time ago, I was and still am a fan of the anime Star Blazers. It originally came out in 1974, 3 years before Star Wars, and was originally called Space Battleship Yamato in Japanese. The creator of that series also created a seies called Captain Harlock Space Pirate. I had heard of the series and seen pictures of the really cool eyepatched character dressed in black a few times but it would be years before I saw the anime properly. I had rented a few FHV videos from the local stores but they only covered the first few episodes.

Years later, in the 80's there was the Robotech years, Carl Macek and Harmony Gold did to Harlock what they did with Robotech, take several unrelated series and blend them into a single series. That series was called Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years. It sort of worked but only because it came from the same creative mind, Leiji Matsumoto, so the art looked consistant. Too bad the show failed because of the storyline. but I was hooked on Harlock.

Eventually, I tracked down subtitled versions of the Original Space Pirate Captain Harlock which were originally broadcast in 1978 a -- year before Gundam would take over Japan. I was hooked for sure. Years later, while attending Baycon, I saw the movie Arcadia of my You which tells an "origin" story to Harlock. After that came the series Endless Road SSX. Harlockhas been featured in other anime series and movies such as Galaxy Express 999, Maetel Legend has been appearing again and again in one incarnation or another even as recent as last year.

And the one thing that it has most in common with Star Wars, evertime a new Harlock series or movie comes out it pretty much ignores continuity. ;)

So one day when I was getting a Yahoo ID, and the name Shemyaza was already taken (another story not as long but a little strange). I decided to take the name of my favorite anime character, Harlock. That was taken too, so I took Harlock415 with 415 being my area code. And roundabout that, Captain Harlock is one of the reasons I'm a Firefly fan too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.