main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What During Or After ROTS Causes R2-D2 To Lose The Ability To Fly?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth_Fruit_Fly, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARK_HELMET_05

DARK_HELMET_05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    both, i guess.

2. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I've never heard either way. I was hoping GL would expand on this in AOTC when
    we first see r2 fly, but I think Ben Burt is talking about recording himself
    recording and then looping it as the sound for wind at that time in the commentary.

3. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    What During Or After ROTS Causes R2-D2 To Lose The Ability To Fly?

The lack of special attention paid by Anakin that had previously been a testament to R2D2's durability and upgrades in the Clone Wars.

4. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Lucas didn't consider the rockets in R2 when he first made the OT.

Yeah I know thats what makes it so stupid, GL should of realized, well 8-} hmmm.........uh well he doesn't fly in the OT movies so why would I make him fly in AOTC. He could of wrote another idea for him to get to Padme. That plot hole could have been very easily avoided.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Someone forgot to refuel his rockets.

6. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    "Someone forgot to refuel his rockets."

[face_laugh]

7. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004

Lucas didn't have the CGI to do it in the original trilogy. It is a good point, but comparing the 6 movies with special effects, you will see a major disparity. I take it for what it is, the trilogies weren't filmed in order, so Lucas had better technology in the prequels.

8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    The real answer to the question is pretty obvious and has been answered a few times already. Lucas didn't have the means to show R2-D2 doing cool things like flying in the OT.

As for the in-universe answer, his rockets were probably removed, or as I answered earlier, no one refueled his rockets.

9. darkscout36

darkscout36 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    I dont know, 18 years is a LONG time. Probably upgrades and downgrades of his parts.

10. DarthGarciaparra

DarthGarciaparra Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2003
    There was no reason to make him fly in the new movies, anyways. DIdn't add a thing to the films.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It added more coolness from R2.

12. JoeBWanKenobi

JoeBWanKenobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2005
    I do not think this is a big deal. Lucas has always added new things to Artoo to get the heroes out of trap. No one has complained about the saw we see in ROTJ even though we do not see it in other movies or the grappling arm we see in the TESB with Yoda. In every movie Artoo is the swiss army knife that has the exact tool to fit the moment.

13. Clone_Commander169

Clone_Commander169 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    he never flew in the OT because they didnt have the abilitiy to make him fly, and they needed him to fly on many ocations in the PT there is no reason to why he didnt

14. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004
    Another question, why didn't R2 use his ESB Bespin smokescreen in the prequels? There were some instances it would have come in handy.

Why hasn't anyone commented that X-Wings droid sockets are 3 times or more higher off the ground than Jedi fighters?

Seriously folks, there are R2 gadgets used in each movie that were not used in any of the other movies, why are the rockets singled out? R2 used gadgets in the PT we didn't see him use in the OT and vice versa. Same goes from individual movie to individual movie.

15. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Moving to the Expanded Universe Community Forum.

16. jedisolo_2

jedisolo_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Artoo is the Chosen One. [face_mischief]

17. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    A wizard did it.

18. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    That is dead-on Neo, in fact I'm going to remember to mention this concept of the Empire when I run into people who foolishly ask why the tech looks better in the PT. I totally agree that the Empire horded all the good stuff and let the galaxy go to ****

19. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    i think the above post ^^^^^ hits the point on the head, but maybe a more inventive idea would be that wehn the Empire took over they started acting like OPEC and restricting all fuel except to themselves which would see why fueling an Astro droid who doesn't need his thrusters to run would be expensive, i mean when they probably first fueled him up gas was like $.80 a gallon until the Empire took over[face_peace]

20. General_Grievous_x

General_Grievous_x Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    Maybe he could do them since he did make bubba fly.

21. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm thinking he just forgot about 'em. Or maybe Antilles removed them because they needed the parts for something else.

And I think the Empire would have had a stamp down on technology. Look at the beam weapons on the Clone Transports, they were destroying tanks with ease, flash forward to Hoth, and if they had had those, the battle may have gone differently. So to prevent the Rebellion from getting such good quality of weaponry and other things they stamped down on it. And kept it for their own military.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.