main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania What DVD's do you own

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Guys! Calm down, this isn't some competition! ;)

I bought Minority Report the other day... takes my total to *drum roll* 4 DVDs!!!

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Let me see. I don't own all that many, since I haven't been blessed with DVD technology for all that long. I have:

Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition
    Star Wars Episode 1
    Star Wars Episode 2
    Spiderman
    Mallrats
    Jay and Silent bob Strike Back
    Shrek
    Monsters Inc
    Antz ($2 in Beijing :p)
    Men in Black 2 (As above)
    Austin Powers 3 (Again, as above 8-})
    And I just effectively doubled the size of my collection by buying the Neon Genesis Evangelion boxed set. Fantastic. On my to buy list is Minority Report, Flying High, Wayne's World and Aliens.

3. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    You might want to hold off on the Aliens thing for a little while, ask luigi.

Nice start to your collection BBN. Welcome to the moneypit.

4. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Lord of the Rings: FOTR.
    Lord of the Rings: FOTR Extended Verson.
    Lord of the Rings: FOTR National Geographic; Beyond the Movie.
    J.R.R Tolkien: Master of the Rings; The Definitive Guide To The World Of The Rings.

And in a day or so, when it's ordered into The Warehouse close to where I live:

Band of Brothers DVD Box Set.

I don't find buying movies all that important. If I see a movie and enjoy it, I will hire it out and see it again, or wait till it comes on TV. I thought DVD's would be the same, but after getting the LOTR DVD's and seeing the BoB DVD in the shop the other day, I thought with the extras included and the price I can get it for, WHY NOT? I really enjoyed the programme, and the extra stuff will be great.

Hopefully this does not start a collection of DVD's as I need all of what little money I have for LOTR collecting. :)

BTW: can anyone PM me in the next day or so and let me know a little about the BoB DVD before I buy it... Much appreciated.

SFL

5. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I used to work in a video store. Whenever I was working you were allowed to put in tapes of your choice (it wasn't a big store like Blockbuster, we only had one person on at a time).

I found I played the same selection of movies fairly regularly. The same movies that have since found their way into my DVD collection. The movies I know I'll get repeated viewings out of. Some that don't even have any extras, not even a trailer.

6. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I started collecting movies on VHS when I was about 14, up until the age of 23 I had about 300 (mind you half of those were star trek).

Most of my videos are gone now and I'm slowly rebuilding my collection on DVD.

7. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I just borrowed a copy of Brotherhood Of The Wolf off a friend, I just love these region 2 imports, 3 disc set with french dts, bloody awesome film.

8. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Trust me, it isn't a competition!

Why hold off on Aliens???

9. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Apparently there's a deluxe 9 disc set on the way. luigi can probably tell you more.

10. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Yes, tell us luigi..

And I just added Mad Max 2 to my collection which is pitiful at the moment but steadily growing, I also own:

Time Bandits
    Episode 1 & 2 Box set
    The Young Ones season 1
    FOTR: EE

11. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    The 9-disc Aliens set would be nice, but all I really want is the Director's Cut of the second one, which is the best, and which I can get for $20.

I only own 4 or so movies on VHS and 3 of them are ex-rental and cost almost nothing. DVD is just a medium that is much more conductive to buying rather than hiring. And I'm only going to buy movies or shows I know I'll re-watch.

A good site for Australian DVD release dates is www.ezydvd.com.au. They have a full Australian release schedule for the next few months prices and all, and you can buy online too, if that's the sort of thing you're into.

12. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I recently aquiered Robin hood prince Of Thieves with a voucher I got for Christmas.

Damm good movie, but the stupid disc is two-sided can you beleive!

13. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The Princess Bride
    Fellowship Extended Edition
    The Phantom

I have a list as long as my arm of ones I would like to get. I want an all region DVD recorder! Annoyingness of them not making some of my favourite movies in this region!

14. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    The US also has better versions of dvds that are out here, for instance the US Princess Bride dvd actually has extra features!

15. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks for that luigi, I'll be sure to pick up a copy now.

Any other hints on superior Region 1 discs?

16. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    Life of Brian: Criterion Edition (All Python in Australia is produced by some cheap-ass company)
    BlackAdder 1-4 (for some reason the Us versions have extra features while the UK and Aus versions don't!)
    2010 (the US version is the only one with a doco)
    Apollo 13 (the US version has a heap more extras)
    Back to the Future Trilogy (The US version has a "white rabit" feature simular to the Matrix not found in any other region. It also has a number of Featuretes not seen in other regions)
    Being John Malkovich (The US version has more interviews and docos)
    Braveheart (we never got to see the 'proper' version in Australia, the us version is slightly longer with some more graphic scenes)
    Caddyshack (the us version has extras the Aus one has none)
    The Count Of Monte Cristo (there are twice as many docos on the us version)
    Dracula 2000/aka Dracula 2001 (there is commentary on the deleted scenes in the us version)
    Evolution (Commentary, deleted scenes and addition Featuretes are not on the Aus version)
    eXistenZ (the Canadian Region 1 version is loaded with extras, the us region 1 and the Aus version have nothing)
    Fight Club (the US version has 4 audio commentaries! the Australian cover claims to have 4 but only has 1!)
    Any Kevin Smith Film (The Aus versions have most of the extras cut)
    Hot Shots (The US version has a doco, the Aus version has nothing)
    Ice Age (the US version is a two disc set with interactive games and an aditional animated short)
    Legend (the US version is a two disc directors cut that is 24 minutes longer! and the second disc has heaps of extras while the Aus version has none)
    M*A*S*H the movie (the US version has a feature about the restoration of the film not seen in any other region)
    Meet Joe Black (the us ultimate edition includes the movie it was based on "Death Takes a Holiday")
    Muppets Take Manhattan (The US version has an Interview with Jim Henson and several of the muppets, the Aus version has no features)
    Predator 2 (The US version has two featuretes the Aus version has none)
    Rushmore Criterion Edition (Heaps of features like most Criterion sets, the Aus version is just the movie)
    Simpsons Season 2 (sexual references have been cut from the Audio commentaries in the UK & AUS versions)
    Spawn (Heaps of extras on the US disc, stuff all on the Aus)
    Starship Troopers (Twice as many features on the US version and no I'm not talking about the AUS 'flipper' version)
    Terminator 2 Special Edition (Who knows if we'll ever get it here, all we have is the featureless standard version)
    The Thing (more extras on the US disc and a better transfer)
    Tombstone Buena Vista version (2 disc set with heaps of extras, Aus is just the movie)
    Wallace And Gromit: re-release (This US version has audio commentaries on all three films)
    Wild Wild West (more docos and an Outtake reel on the US version)
    X-Men 1.5 (It's not known if this will be releases here, this is the directors cut with new footage shot during X-Men 2 inserted into the original, there's also aditional commentaries)
    The Young Ones Season One (there's docos on the US version and the pilot episodes of "Filthy Rich And Catflap" and "Bottom", the Aus version has no features)

17. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks for the heads up. Especially with Braveheart and Ice Age, which I fully intended to get in Astralia becasue I thought they were the same and would rather have them in PAL if they were.

Seriously, if there are any other noteworthy ones let me know. Is there a website where I can get this region comparisson?

Strange Days? Lost Boys? Gattaca? Contact? Jurassic Park? Saving Private Ryan? These are all titles I was going to wait to get back home.

18. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    www.dvdcompare.org.uk/

This is the best site for region comparisons.

The best versions of Strange Days and Lost Boys are the Aus ones.

Gattaca and Jurassic Park are the same everywhere.

The best versions of Contact and Saving Private Ryan are the US ones.

And Strange Days is another classic that bombed at the box office, Cameron is a genius!

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It's so stupid that they change them, even more stupid than the region system itself (and that's pretty bloody stupid). What on earth is the point? What does it acheive, other than annoying people?

20. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    sometimes the rights are owned by differen't companies in differen't countries.
    Such is the case with Monty Python and Dune.

21. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    *insert sounds of indignation*

I have seasons 1-4 of Blackadder on DVD, without extras. :mad:

22. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    Yeah me too :(

For some stupid reason all the BBC stuff that comes out in the U.S has extras while everything released here and in the U.K has nothing!?!

23. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, I'm pretty stoked that Transformers: The Movie comes out in Australia in March and it has just as many extras as the U.S version.
    Maybe more. :D

24. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    It has more and exclusive cover art :)

25. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Oooh, I gotta go change my undies. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.