main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania What DVD's do you own

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Answering the question, the Sin City Uncut edition is very well put together. As as film maker, there's plenty of interesting behind the scenes footage and the like, plus there's a ton of deleted scenes and so forth. I guess there could have been alot more, but it's a damn sight better then the original release locally. I'd been waiting for this one for a long, long time.

2. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I just got

Blood Sucking Freaks

3. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Picked up in the last few days

Shrek
    Shrek 2
    Pirates of the Cairribean (sp?)
    Pirates of the Carribean 2
    Mission Impossible 3
    Billy Connoly's world tour boxset (Australia, NZ, Scotland, England Ireland & Wales)

Also put a stack on layby at kmart

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    +
    The Castle
    Charade
    Donnie Darko
    Errol Flynn collection:
    - Captain Blood
    - The Sea Hawk
    - They Died With Their Boots On
    - Dodge City
    - The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

5. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002

M:I3
    An Evening with Kevin Smith 1/2
    This is Spinal Tap
    Buying the Cow/Van Wilder/Waiting...
    Just Friends
    The Frighteners (3 Disc)
    Dante's Peak
    The Butterfly Effect

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Added:
    Syriana
    The Negotiator
    Mission Impossible III

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I hated Syriana. If you'd read Bob Baer's memoirs before the film - "See No Evil" and "Sleeping with the Enemy" - you had the expectation the film might be good.

It wasn't.

In the last week, I've picked up: Serenity, Blade Runner (Dir. Cut - why can't we get the original? Or a collection of the variant early releases?), From Russia With Love, Thunderball, OHMSS, The Living Daylights, License to Kill, and Tomorrow Never Dies.

Damn you JB HiFi and your $16 Bond film collection!

At least I know I won't buy the Roger [face_sick] Moore ones.

E_S

8. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    A special edition is being released next year with the two different cuts, plus a third done by Scott over the last few years.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    I loved Syriana. Not so much because of the political messages and going ons but more from a film makers point of view.
    Great pacing, good acting, cinematography was good, great climactic ending and it left me thinking.

How come you hated it Ender?

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There's actually a few versions of the film that were shown to test audiences prior to release which never again saw the light of day, except I think maybe one made it to Laserdisc...

They included a bunch of extra scenes, including Deckard reading to Holden in hospital, which I'd like to see.

But I don't like the Dir's Cut because it makes Deckard a replicant; I agree with Harrison Ford that the audience needs a human anchor to the story.

Shadow; because it was Hollywood adding it's superficial, wishy-washy lefty message to Baer's books which are decidedly non-partisan and blame both sides equally. Read "Sleeping witht he Devil" on the US and Saudi Arabia and oil, and tell me Syrian did it justice.

E_S

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I don't actually like the movie very much full stop, but I agree with you on the replicant issue. The ending, while a lot better than the "flying into the Shining" original, smacks of unfair rug-pulling for the sake of rug-pulling.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Not really, no.

There's clues Deckard's a replicant from the get go.

The clues are in Gaff's origami, which keeps reflecting Deckard's moods - and the Unicorn (both the flashback and origami piece Deckard finds at the end).

Plus, there's replicant eyes, which Deckard shows several times.

Bryant also tells Deckard six skin-jobs escaped an off-world colony by stealing a shuttle. One - Mary - is killed trying to break into the Tyrrell Corp. The others are Roy Batty, Leon, Pris and Zhora...

That makes five.

Rachel Tyrrell has always been at Tyrrell Corp; she's a replicant of Dr Eldon Tyrrell's niece, Sara (I can't remember if Sara or Rachel is Deckard's wife in the Philip K Dick novel).

So there's a missing replicant.

Deckard.

E_S

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    That doesn't change my point. The fact that clues are throughout the film doesn't change the fact that it still is rug-pulling for the sake of rug-pulling. It doesn't aid the story at all; in fact, it mitigates some of its key points.

14. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    because it was Hollywood adding it's superficial, wishy-washy lefty message to Baer's books which are decidedly non-partisan and blame both sides equally.

Fair enough. As I have only ever been aware of the movie as itself this wasn't able to bother me.

15. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I read somewhere that the 6th replicant was a script mistake. Apparantly there were to be 6 replicants escaping one of the colonies but in production they cut it down to 5. The line wasn't changed when Bryant read his dialog.

Edit Heres a link discussing the 6th replicant theory. www.brmovie.com is a good resource!

Im interested somewhat in seeing this flick again. Studying it for year 12 absolutly destroyed the flick. I want to see if it has changed since forgetting all the high school crap :p

16. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Just placed an order with amazon.com for the Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition (14 Disc Set) should get it before christmas. Works out to be just over $100 dollars with the rate being so good at the moment. The Region 4 version is about 150-180 retail, depending on where you get it from over here.

As for a Ultimate Edition of Blade Runner, I also heard the rmours, very strong rumours too, about a 3 or 4 disc set with 3 versions of the movie being done for the 25th Anniversay in 2007. I've heard and read somewhere that it'll be the Original Theatrical Version, The Director's Cut and a new Ultimate Director's Cut. I hope this is true as Blade Runner is my all time favourite Sci-fi movie.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The single best resource for BR is "Future Noir" by Paul Sammon.

I added The World is Not Enough and Tomorrow Never Dies to my collection.

E_S

18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Blind Fury
    Secret of Mamo
    Caligula

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    + Infernal Affairs.

E_S

20. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm pretty much holding out unitll my Birthday and Christmas before I buy anymore dvds, but high on my list of must gets is

Kenny!

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    + Superman Returns Ltd 2 Disc Edition (#0522)

E_S

22. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    + Superman Returns Limited Edition #0054 :)

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Bah! Shaddup!

[face_not_talking]

E_S

24. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    WTB Arrested Development season 3

25. SithLord-Mixo