main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What ever happened to Durge?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kicker, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kicker

Kicker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2007
    so we're about a quarter of the way through "Rise of the Bounty Hunters" and I'm saddened to see the absence of my favorite Separatist, Durge. I understand that initially, the creators wanted to "re-imagine" his character into a human(which I believe would have been a travesty) but scrapped that idea an replaced him for Cad Bane. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light for on what plans the creators have for Durge, seeing as how he was just as big a part of the CIS as Ventress was. I just think it would be such a waste of a colorful villain if they just scrap him. I loved him in the miniseries for as brief as it was, does anyone else share my feelings to this subject?

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Lucas. Lucas happened.

In all seriousness, Lucas apparently didn't care to see the character return, and I don't think Filoni did, either. IMO Durge was EXCELLENT in the comics (he had some great one-liners in the Republic series), but I guess I can kinda see why they wouldn't want him back based on the old 2003/2004 series. Not that I think he was bad in those, but he was... well, one of those dime-a-dozen Saturday-morning-cartoon villains.

3. Kicker

Mar 9, 2007
    But that's what this show needs now more than ever, the villains portrayed in the show are as incompetent as the droids and always lose with the status quo NEVER changing. They need someone with a little more dynamic and more of a menace, I mean how many times are they going to rehash Anakin and/or Obi-Wan fighting Ventress & Dooku. Not to mention Anakin technically can't even MEET Grievous. At least with Durge it would create a little more possibility for the rest of the Jedi along with our norms, not to mention how interesting it would be to see how Ahsoka would handle him on her own. I personally believe the show needs to revamp it's direction before it loses more of it's fanbase like the "Continuity fans". Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but it's been getting worse and worse for me with pointless side-stories & adventures that never make a difference because we know how it will turn out. I miss not knowing whats about to happen. I just think that the Jedi always trying to capture Grievous is getting old cuz he always gets away, making his stories bland. As far as Ventress goes, she always gets owned or her fights come to a stalemate of sorts. And don't get me started on Cad Bane. Durge would just be such an improvement for the villains IMHO.

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Durge is a joke. There's nothing fun about a spaghetti-armed virtually-immortal so-called bounty hunter.

The roster of villains is already very well served with the new bounty hunters and occasional separatist generals. Please, leave Durge in the heart of that sun, where he belongs.

5. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Hey, I thought the scenes with Durge in CW were great. That was some cool animation, all his mutation nerve-fighting, or whatever it was. I think he was suppose to be dangerous, not 'fun'. A challenge, like Cad Bane. But if he's not in the show, I'm fine with it.

6. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    If Durge shows up, he should be a less "immortal". He can take saber hits but something like a saber in his spine thing though. Then again, Durge could work well for a one-time finale charcter that no one can beat until the very end. I believe that that was supposed to happen in the last Clone Wars Cartoon.

It would be sweet if there was a guest appearance of Durge in the Mando episodes as a villain for the Jedi and Mandos.
    Obi-wan & Pre Vizsla VS Durge.

Someone is going to say that that is the stupidest idea ever.

7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I could take him or leave him. Do something with him, so that he's not just a Mando/Cad Bane with a superpower, and it might work.

8. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I could also take him or leave him. I didn't like the 'immortal' aspects of him, but I did quite like all of the different weapons that he used. He reminded me alot like Jango Fett. But alas, just like Delta squad, Durge will probobly not be in TCW.

9. Kicker

Mar 9, 2007
    I'm gonna have to agree, if they toned his character down a little by making him more destructable, but to return a few times I'd be happy. His fight with Obi-Wan & the clones was handled very well. Imagine that done in the CGI show, it'd be amazing. I for one, am looking forward to the Mando aspect coming up in the show, it would be cool if they figured a way to incorporate him into the plot.

10. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Durge was okay in the microseries, until he turned into a spaghetti monster. After that, I couldn't take him seriously anymore. And for the situations that used bounty hunters in this series so far, I don't think Durge would have fit the bill, IMO.

11. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Spaghetti monster Durge: cool.

12. Kicker

Mar 9, 2007
    I agree, but like I said; tone his power down tenfold, making him a little more destructible I mean hey, if u get cut to ribbons with a lightsaber, u shood be down for a long time. my own problem with him in the miniseries is how his armor regrew with him, that was stupid

13. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Mutation armor: also cool.[face_peace]

I don't see how he's indestructable. I thought Obi-Wan defeated Durge in the micro-series?

14. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Of course you like it, it's futuristic clothing. :p

[face_peace]

15. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    It's technically not clothing if it's part of his weird bodily abilities.. just mutating transformation armor.[face_peace]

16. Kicker

Mar 9, 2007
    hmm...
    nanomachines from hideo kojima's universe methinks?

17. ZEM

ZEM Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah, that turned Clone Wars into a cheap cartoon for me.

18. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    He only defeated him temporarily, you see the "slime" scooting together afterwards.

19. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Well said.

I haven't read the comics in which he appears, but I hated him in the micro series. Cheesiest villain ever.

No, Ventress, Dooku and Grievous just need to ice a few Jedi and win some battles. That's all it needs.

20. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I hope Durge appears, but I hope they do something better with his character than the micro-series. In the comics he is a monster-like solid being. I hope they show that in TCW and not the spaghetti glob.

21. Kicker

Mar 9, 2007
    I agree witchu man, the monster-like adaptation from the Republic comics was a pretty good route to take.
    Does anyone remember hearing rumors of Durge's appearance in Revenge of the Sith b4 it came out back in '05?
    I think I remember sumone saying Johnny Depp might have played the character, I could be wrong, but did anyone else ever hear anything along those lines? I'm curious what anyone's thoughts are on that matter.

22. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I've never read the comics, probably never will, so all I have is the Micro series to go on, and I'll say that in no way, shape or form, do I ever want Durge to be in this series. He was ok, maybe even tolerable, until he went all spaghetti armed and invincible. It just doesn't work, especially in the more realistic and less over-the-top new series.

Yes, more Jedi need to die. Seps need to win battles. But Durge was a craptastic joke, and needs to remain off the radar screen.

23. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    What happened to Durge? I dunno- does TCW take place before or AFTER the comic where Anakin jettisoned him into a sun? If it's the latter, then that might easily explain his absence, methinks. ;)

24. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    IIRC, I think Anakin was still a padawan when Durge was around(and Obi-Wan still had his long-ish hair.), so it was probably before the events of this series if Anakin's hair is anything to go by.:p

I don't know about the whole 'shooting him into a sun' thing though...I'm guessing that was from the comics?:confused:

25. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Oh, yeah- the final fight with Durge, he gets Anakin alone. Anakin stuffs him in an escape pod and blasts him straight into a sun.

Just went and checked- it was Maramere's sun, and it happened in Obsession. Guess that makes whether or not Durge is deep fried or not as of the series still up in the air, given the endless debating about whether or not TCW takes place pre- or post-Obsession I've been seeing around here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.