main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What ever happened to Durge?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kicker, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kicker

Kicker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2007
    We should ask an official.

2. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    No thanks. Durge was the most craptacular villain in the old CW cartoon. On the other hand, I'm digging Cad Bane.

3. ZEM

ZEM Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah, lets ditch Durge and keep Bane. He [Bane] is awesome - for a bad guy. ;) =D= [face_dancing]

4. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Durge was interesting in the micro-series and a nice corny oddball in the comics, but I have to agree that Cad Bane is pretty much a vast improvement over him as an antagonist. He's got a cooler design, more practical gadgets, he doesn't have EU-Invincibility hanging over his head, and his dialogue is miles better.

I wouldn't mind seeing Durge again, but I hope that if he appears they find a way to make him fit. Corny dialogue would be funny to see...Star Wars is known for it. :p

5. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Durge... NO WAY!

Sora Bulq... Yes please.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd like to see Durge again, so long as he'd be based on his comic portrayal (an alien with a decentralized nervous system and reasonable regenerative abilities) and not his cartoon one (spagetti monster that was basically an organic T-1000).

But I also want TCW to be set after Obsession, so to have that, Durge has to be dead (as I certainly don't want Anakin's final fight with Durge "undone" for him to survive, because it was quite cool).

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

Humor me. Knowing Ventress' personal decisions as of the end of Obsession, especially on Dooku, why in Waru's sweet golden scales would you want this?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Because the vast majority of the rest of the material, IMO, fits much better in that setting to the point that I'm willing to sacrifice that small moment of characterization for the greater good. It just requires a small Ventress/CIS reconciliation story to bridge the two scenarios.

Obi-Wan's more flirtatious and playful treating of Ventress in TCW also, IMO, works better if it's after those events in a "ok, I've really tried to help you despite all that you've done to me, and then you go and play dead and betray me again. Fine. We'll play that game." kind of way.

And then Alpha can return and say "Yeah, I decided to go with the name Rex now." ;)

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    As much as that just works fine and dandy, I'd really rather have that last thing with Dooku be Ventress' last interaction with anyone in The Clone Wars. Also, why would Ventress tell Anakin and Obi-Wan to keep their eyes on Coruscant when in actuality the actual Battle of Coruscant would happen several months/years later?(Depending on where you then place Obsession on the three-year timeline.)

Although I really do like the Alpha-Rex thing. Wasn't Rex supposed to be Alpha at one point in the show, but the creators thought that was way too many characters with names that started with "A"?

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah. Which makes me wonder why they didn't change Ashoka's name. It...hasn't really been important, and few people would actually get the reference.

Still, I vote pre-Obession because all the equipment is early war: phase 1 armor, V-19s and Y-Wings instead of V-Wings and ARC-170s, no Tri-fighters etc...

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, you're right, the Coruscant line would throw a wrench into things...

..so bring on Durge (just don't kill him)! :D

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think Durge works better as a comic book villain. They've got enough interesting villains in TCW that they already don't spend enough time on as it is. :p

13. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Yeah, forget that guy. He has no interesting dynamic with the other Separatist leaders, which is the fun stuff... with Sidious and Dooku and Ventress and Grievous and Nute and the gang, the best part is watching them play off of each other (even if it's just implied sometimes).

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Durge had a working relationship with Ventress that could develop her- be nice to see her when she's not sucking up to Dooku or teasing the Jedi.

Also, not to mention Durge adds something very important to the show: a villain that can go toe-to-toe with Anakin.

As it is, there are only three villains that are capable of doing that- Dooku, Ventress and Grievous (Cad Bane is a maybe, but he's more likely to not fight a Jedi directly and instead attack from a distance). And it's impossible for Anakin to fight Grievous due to ROTS. And he can only fight Dooku so many times without it stretching credibility. And that leaves only Ventress, who works better when paired up against Obi-Wan, and you can only use her so many times as well.

But Durge can take it, and he's something of a grunt that would logically be fighting on the frontlines and he has history with Anakin, which could make for some interesting fight dialog.

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Not to mention he has a habit of coming back to life, so that could make some Republic victories without the Seperatist leader running away, but they would have to limit how many times he is ressurrected.

16. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    That would be a most welcome change. Heck, we could reenact the Alpha vs Durge fight from Republic with Rex to boot.

17. TheFiffis

TheFiffis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2010
    I have fought with my brain back and forth on the subject of Obsession. One argument could be the terrorist bombings on Coruscant found in Wild Space or any other little things that have happened on Coruscant (Cad Bane mostly) or my personal favorite explanation: she lied. Told them to watch Coruscant as she "redeems" herself. In reality, they plan on attacking a planet in the mid-rim (Christosphis) and stealing a Hutt's baby. Just a thought.

One more thing to note, however, is that in Obsession Obi-Wan meets Oddball for the first time. I know at some point in TCW we see Oddball.

18. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    In the movie. Not since then, I don't think.

19. BROWNHORNET

BROWNHORNET Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing Durge either. I liked him better in the comics than on the microseries. I think they made him too powerful on the microseries, but a more de-powered Durge would work fine. I'm not a big fan of Cad Bane. I think he's more hype than anything. Though I am appreciative of the attempt to add more villains. I hope the writers continue in this direction. But I still would like the occassional Dooku, Ventress, and even Grevious episode. I especially like Ventress but I wish they would let her win more. If they could throw some random Jedi at her to mow down from time to time that would be great.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    He went back to the pro wrestling circuit.

21. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I agree that Durge needs to be powered down to appear on TCW, however, I'd love to know why his being so powerful in the micro-series made everyone hate him but being everybody just rolls with the explanation that Mace Windu's single-handed decimation of an entire droid army was just stylized. Anyhow, I'd like to see a "happy-medium" Durge ie not just a human in armor but not as indestructible. Similarly, I'd like him to be less mouthy than in the comics but he should still be a bit of a braggart. TCW needs new villains who aren't bound by restrictions from the movies (like no Anakin vs. Grievous because of ROTS). Personally, I think we need another "dark Jedi" on the Separatist team. Maybe a competitor for Dooku's favor as "apprentice"....

22. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Ahem, say what? Roll with it? No way, Mace's battle on Dantooine and Durge's character are the two main things that made me completely disregard the micro-series. I don't care if it's stylized or not, it's simply stupid.

And please, no more dark Jedi. I think they are doing a great job in coming up with new villains that they haven't even needed the one dark Jedi they have so far in this season.

23. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I'd rank Yoda's casual force pushing of the Seperatist landing ship on Coruscant as a deal breaker.

24. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I don't get it. The two most powerful Jedi Masters, being powerful in combat.. How is it stupid compared to 'super Padawans' and non-Force villains fighting well with lightsabers for no reason?

I don't wanna bring up the power-level arguments, these things can pass even if they don't make complete sense. TCW is a different take on the Clone Wars.

CW was a short-lived, stylized action cartoon with its own take. It didn't have the time that TCW has. I think it was more creative, and I'll take cartoon creativity over the more 'realistic' approach myself.

But, of course, it's just a matter of different personal taste and opinion.[face_peace]

25. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    It's one thing to be powerful. It's another to be a one-man unstoppable army. Somewhere between those two is the "gone too far" line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.