main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What ever happened to

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry, the title is misleading; it looked like another one of those annoying instances where beezel splits a sentence between the subject line and first line of a post, I know.

In this thread, we try and determine what happened to people or groups or events or whatever that had their 15mins of pre-fame and then disappeared. I mean, like the hero Spawn, right? Poised to be as big as Batman, and just disappears from the public consciousness.

So the idea is, you ask what happened to someone. If others can answer without Wiki or Google, sweet. You also throw up more "what ever happened to...?" questions of your own.

First up - MGMT. I feel like in 2008 in particular, they were everywhere - the songs "Time to Pretend", "Kids" and "Electric Feel" were getting huge rotation. Then they kind of just disappeared. They actually weren't awful, in fact they were quite good, so what happened to them?

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What ever happened to Juli?

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    KONY 2012

4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Saturday Night?

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Robot Jones?

Point Given likes this.
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    MGMT were terrible live, and disappeared up their own arses when everyone (including themselves) realised they were destined to be a flash in the pan. They may have released a second album, but nobody cared.

JoinTheSchwarz and Ender Sai like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks for clearing that up JP.

Vivec, KONY2012 was an unprecendented success. The 5,000,000% increase in Awareness resulted in the capture of Joseph Kony; the repatriation of all child soldiers and sex slaves, and the decommissioning of the Lord's Resistance Army.

Every instant expert on Africa who emerged at the time the video went viral retained their in-depth knowledge of African politics, and could comfort themselves knowing a situation that was terrible years before they found out about it through the lightspeed brilliance of social media was only real problematic in the months that it remained in the back of their mind.

Since then, Facebook has eliminated ALS, and helped a few sick people be cured of cancer.

ShaneP, Jedi Merkurian and jp-30 like this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Spawn was never posited for anything. It was violently counter-cultural, and in one of the more regressive notes in fiction, seemed to posit that a character being simultaneously African-American and less than totally evil was The epitome of this spirit. Setting aside the disgusting thematics, the story was quite generic and its universe was entirely forgettable.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Zaz. And Zas for that matter.

11. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Still friends with Zas on Facebook. She posted "Hi." as a status a couple months ago, and appears to be in favor of net neutrality.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Predictability.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Sure, but a lot of those criticisms can be leveled at other comic heroes. Batman is an unhinged psychotic; the Punisher, a rampant sociopath. Yet they remain popular. Spawn never attained that level, and I feel like your more discerning tastes may not reflect the broad popular mindset.

Which, mind you, is no criticism.

What ever happened to VAST? Remember that song they had, Touched, which was in the trailer for The Beach, all Jim Morrison sounding?

Disappeared.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This is going back a ways, but it's a good example of this kind of thing. Back in 2002, there was this amazing album called Highly Evolved. The group that released it seemed poised to become massive. And now I honestly can't remember if they were the Hives or the Vines. I think they did put out a second album (whoever they were) and then vanished. Actually I think that's what happened to both of those groups. Or am I wrong?

15. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Any updates on Connemara lately?

Is that big pit of gas somewhere in Eastern Europe or wherever that's been burning for 40 years still going?

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It was The Vines....I have that album. :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's in Turkmenistan!

18. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    I was only one continent off!

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish Andalite Bandit would come back.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He went back to his home planet.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No they can't. Spawn was calculated to shock the popular conscience in the following ways:

1. He openly employs the tools of Satan, the veritable personifaction of evil in western culture.

2. Even worse, he was black.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, Ja Rule was also black.

Rogue1-and-a-half, it was the Vines. The Hives were and possibly still are a Swedish punk band; the Vines are a kind of alternative rock band from Victoria, Australia. They were massive at the time but he singer/guitarist was a massive **** so they began to lose any media traction they had.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I still read Spawn every now and then. Not for the story though - I couldn't tell you much about what's going on in the story. But it always has such awesome art. Not the old ones. Just the newer ones.

I guess it is pretty generic and boring, which is why I never got too much into it. Great designs, but if I want to read about hell and demonic **** I'd just go to Sandman or something else.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    They had a single that was all over TV on a bunch of ads for a while, then disappeared.