What exactly can we post on this forum?

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate to do this, but after reading the last few threads, all of which almost came to an abrupt end with a message from BYOB telling us that we should discuss it somewhere else, I am forced to wonder what exactly we can talk about on this forum? You can't say this post doesn't belong, because it's about our activities here.

In the past few days, all I've read are things that say "Talk about this <here>", "Talk about that <here>." I've been to other city forums. I went to the Indy one once to thank the Indy Knights, and I've been to the Chicago one once to look around at digital theater information to see if they had it. I saw them talking about all the things we're discussing. Some of them have an astounding number of existing threads. I don't see why we are not allowed to talk about the movies, games and other things. Yes, they are discussed elsewhere in more public forums, but why can't we discuss things amongst ourselves as well. I've met many of the people here, and think them to be friends, therefore I give their opinions more credit than I do strangers. I know where they come from and where they stand, so why not get their opinions. Plus, even the people I have not met here, but post here, they are regulars and I see their opinions on other subjects, so I get a basis for their background. I understand the need to cut down on redundant topics, but I don't think that we need to only talk about upcoming meetings. We didn't in the past, so why should we now?

Also, I don't understand why Master Treadlite was banned for even a day. I saw his posts, and I don't think that he said anything warranting a ban. Maybe I didn't agree with his opinion, but this isn't the "People that agree with Dwayne" forum. If he was swearing at people, or something of that nature, I missed it. If he was being offensive, I missed that as well. What I saw were opinions other than mine. Strong opinions, but that's all. All I can say is that this is not as much fun, or as free as it used to be, and I would like to see that change. I would like it to be a fun place to discuss things without someone jumping on me. Keeping down redundant threads is fine, but telling us we shouldn't be talking about things is another. If you're going insane BYOB, then maybe you should calm down because this is a relaxed and groovy place. Or at least, it should be and was.

Dwayne
  2. Mauler_II Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree with Dwayne.

I guess if this was a "policy thing" that TFN stricly enforced I would not agree with it, but at least I would understand. Like Dwayne said, other forums are having the exact conversations we are with no problems or complaints.

Yes, if someone is swearing all the time or making personal insults, that person should be banned. Multiple threads along the same subject line should be avoided. I also don't think a thread like "What's the easiest way to prepare brussel sprouts" belongs here either. Other than that, everything else is fair game.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  3. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    The city boards are for local people to get together to discuss Star Wars. You do not need to venture outside of your city if you do not want to. It is totally up to you. If you want to discuss how midichlorians were just dropped, fine; jokes about you know you're a redneck jedi, fine; Milwookiee group outing to Brewers game, fine; alerts on latest EU books, fine. The only thing that may be limiting you is how many totally off topic threads are going on.

In short, the FF boards are here for locals to plan activities for their FanForce group and discuss SW. If you only allow FF planning activity, newbies won't ever get the feel of the place and feel welcomed.

On a very small side note, sometimes non-locals may visit. If they are not causing trouble or spamming, you should make them feel welcome. MN and Chicago have a long relationship of joint events when the chances arise (some with South Bend and Indy).
  4. jedisister Jedi Master

star 3
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! Bobafemme for clearing that up for us. I am very greatful to you for coming to check on us and giving us guidence. I really do apperciate your impute in this dispute and think that it can now be settled w/no more hard feelings. Thank you again.
  5. Darth_Lee Jedi Master

star 1
    I like everything Bobafemme said except this:

"Milwookiee group outing to Brewers game"

Why on earth ruin a good Star Wars discussion by forcing us to watch a Double A baseball team?! :)
  6. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    Instead of a long post just restating what e'body else said, I'l just say this:

DITTO.
  7. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Fine. Then I guess I'll just sit on the shelf and collect dust like a Bo Shek action figure. :(

I hope you can all forgive me for my misguided actions.
  8. jedisister Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, I'll forgive you, Tom. You were just trying to do what you thought was best, but, made a mistake,you are only human(right?) I don't think any of us will turn to the dark side or cut you down w/a lightsaber(no guarenties on that though [face_mischief] ).
    Just remember you just need to relax a little and go w/the flow, it will all work out and we'll get the guidence we need when we need it. Ok?
  9. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    >>I hope you can all forgive me for my misguided actions.

Of course we can, Tom. You're new at the job and doing a good job. Remember, even Han made mistakes. :)
  10. Mauler_II Jedi Knight

star 3
    Good idea bringing up Han....

"No, that one goes over there- this one goes over here!"

Yet another case wher SW earily fits into everyday life...

:)

11. Master_Treadlite Jedi Padawan

I for one can and will forgive you "Tom". But I would like something that I do think you promised me in private..

You new friend,

Coal
  12. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think we'll all forgive you Tom. In fact it will actually make things easier for you since it sounds like there's less to redirect. Given enough time, things will settle into a pattern where people know when to create a topic, and when to go to an existing one.

Dwayne

13. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    See! This experience has made this a kinder, friendlier place. I think I'll go buy a cute, warm, fuzzy puppy dog.

Seriously though, I give much credit to BYOB, for doing SOMETHING. I'm sure he's just attacking his new post with the zeal of someone who takes pride in their work. Kudos to you, sir. Can't do anything but learn as you go; I know I'm still learning how this whole setup works myself. I'd rather see you do something "wrong?" and fix it than not do anything at all.

To Master Treadlite--I respect your opinions, and, if I may now make this request--post your feelings regarding your second viewing of AOTC on the corresponding thread (if you haven't already)--I'm interested in seeing what you thought. Like Dwayne said--this isn't one person's site, so fire away.

Personally, I commend everyone who posts in our forum. The posts are almost always intelligent, thoughtful, and sincere. More importantly, they are entertaining, and everyone has a sense of humor, which makes this a really cool place to hang out. Let's keep it up!

Jason
  14. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "'No, that one goes over there- this one goes over here!'"

Actually, that's ...extremely funny.
  15. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm glad we got things cleared up. I was getting kind of scared there for a while. When things tense up among SW fans, I get very uncomfortable. Maybe it's the Dark Side thing. I dunno.

And Tom, I think you've been doing a fine job. This can't be easy given all the strong personalities and opinions around this place. Being a person in a position of authority in my job, I have to enforce rules I don't necessarily agree with. I didn't make the rules, I don't like some of the rules, but I have to make sure people abide by them. And unfortunately some of the rules are open to interpretation, which always causes a problem (darn factory job). While I'm sure the specifics don't apply to you, I think I can understand the frustration and insanity you may be experiencing. My advice: Be mindful of your thoughts, and bury your feelings deep inside you. Those words have got me through many a meeting with my pig-headed two-faced ignorant closed-minded supervisor. Well, so much for burying my feelings.

In a nutshell (as you can see I'm not very good at putting things in a nutshell), whew!
  16. Zepo Jedi Knight

This is a great place to be, that's why we're all here. I do appreciate everyone's input on this thread (and all the other Star Wars) discussion.

It's good to see that we're surviving our growing pains... go Milwookie Council!!

May the Force Be With Us ALL!!
  17. jedihexer Jedi Master

star 2
    Well I didn't really get what was going on till now!

I would like to see what treadlite wrote though. Since I don't know where it was, I can't react to it.

I would like to say this...I have met many of you, and some are new. But we are all becoming friends from these boards. The important thing to remember is that we are FANS...talking, discussing, and at times I'm sure disagreeing with each other! That truth is I would much rather have people of different beliefs and thoughts as myself, or this would be a very boring board.

I love all of the fun we are having. Let's keep having it....

Eric

18. CheddarJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here, here.

(Why do I picture one of Lucas's postcard endings, where there's no dialogue and celebration music is playing with smiles and handshakes all around (i.e. ANH, ROTJ, TPM)?)

Now that we've cleared that matter up, let's get back to discussing our favorite saga.
  19. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, Lucas has said that E3 will end on a dark note. "It will not be a happy ending." He's been quoted as saying that. I think that he sees it as "ending" with E6. That's where the happy ending is.
  20. ThomSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Whatever you do, do NOT let JediJeff13 come up here and start a Blatant Drive thread. They are of the Dark Side....

I've been away from the boards for a while, and so just today noticed that y'all have an official group in Milwaukee. Congratulations! I should tell my SW friends in Racine about you....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.