main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Exactly Happens To Corrisont

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBong0202, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You are all wrong, the reason why they can't rebuild it is because the Republic no longer control it. They have to capture it reclaim it first. ;)

2. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    "Thats why i dont read EU. *shudders at bad EU writing...* "

I think I may have to agree with that statement!! :D

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No, they didn't use huge rocket boosters to move it.

The Vong have creatures that manipulate gravity that act as organic means of propulsion and shielding for their ships.

They basicly used alot of large ones to shift the planet's orbit. Similar to how they dragged down a moon to crash into the planet it orbited in the incident that lead to Chewie's death.

All in all, it really gets across the sense of loss and irrevesible change that makes the NJO so emotionally appealing.

4. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Don't you just love it when people hate the EU based on what they HEAR, not what they actually read?

5. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, I tried EU back in the day and it simply lost me rather quickly. What I hear now drives me further away, never once managing to capture my interest! :confused: I cannot help it though, that is just how I am! ;) 8-} Back on subject though, I was completely unaware of Coruscant having been taken over by these aliens and such when I made my "rebuild it" comment earlier! It is rather disappointing to hear because I liked Coruscant, but I can always turn a blind eye to all of this I suppose! ;)

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Those "mountains" are nothing more than just a series of buildings much higher than the average height on the planet. They're so high up in fact, that some of the skyscrapers can collect snow on their roofs.

Bib: I believe he's referring to the Manarai Mountains. :)

Though, as I recall, there's some conflict regarding those. HttE makes it appear that the actual peaks are visible, but the Illustrated Guide to the SW Universe states that only a single mountain tip is visible, which is at Monument Square.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I believe he's referring to the Manarai Mountains.

So was I. :)

There is only one place on Coruscant where natural ground can be seen, at Monument Plaza, where a single mountaintop pokes out of the city.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Right, which I also mentioned.

One problem, though. HttE page 15 (pb) states: "Far to the south, he could just make out the Manarai Mountains, their snow-covered pseaks illuminated, like the clouds, largely by reflected light from the city."

There's a contradiction between sources there.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    No it's not. Like I said before, the Manarai mountains are nothing more than taller-than-average buildings, high up enough to collect snow on their rooftops.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The quote seems pretty explicit...

Do you have a source for that? Perhaps the new sourcebook, which I haven't read yet?

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I believe it's in the Essential Guide to Planets and Moons. If it's not there, I don't know where to tell you to look, but I know I've read that somewhere.

12. StarwarsMan

StarwarsMan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 17, 2002
    Anyone Got a screenshot?????????!!!

13. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    Its pretty simple: All these mountains, and the Emperor's Palace, and all that EU just doesn't exist in the movies. Go ahead and look. They are not there!

I doubt GL even remembers that they're "supposed" to be there. "The entie planet is ome big city." Remember? That doesn't leave room for natual mountains.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, considering that you wouldn't be able to see a single mountain peak among Coruscant's skycrappers from orbit, and that they're not arpound the senate or industrial sectors, naturally you wouldn't see it in the film.

15. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    How would oxygen be generated on a planet if all the vegetation was gone and none of its surface was showing anymore? Is Coruscant completely dependent on technology to support life? Would clouds even exist on this planet anymore? Where does the moisture come from? This is a crime against nature!

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Coruscant has air filter and production plants to generate the atmosphere and cleanse it of the massive amounts of pollution the planet makes.

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    How would oxygen be generated on a planet if all the vegetation was gone and none of its surface was showing anymore? Is Coruscant completely dependent on technology to support life? Would clouds even exist on this planet anymore? Where does the moisture come from? This is a crime against nature!

Yeah, the Vong seemed to think so. In one of the novels after they capture it, it mentions that for the first time in centuries, natural rain fell on Coruscant.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Coruscant has an unusually dry atmosphere. The second a condensator breaks, a fast forming storm appears--rather limited in size and duration.

19. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    From the book INSIDE THE WORLDS OF STAR WARS EPISODE ONE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE INCREDIBLE LOCATIONS FROM THE PHANTOM MENACE -

Coruscant orbits relatively far from its tiny sun, varying from 207 million to 251 million km (128 million to 155 million miles), and thus does not have a climate particularly suited to humans. This problem is overcome by an array of orbital mirrors that augment the sun's warmth and light. The first foundations of the planet encompassing Galactic City were built on a historic battlefield where three ancient civilizations fought for control over the planet. Once largely covered by oceans, millions of years of overpopulation on Coruscant have drained all natural bodies of water. Polar cap stations melt ice and distribute water throughout Galactic City via a sophisticated network of pipelines.

Seen from space, Galactic City's brilliance is only slightly dimmed by the planet's hazy cloud cover. Weather patterns are affected by the troposphere-piercing buildings that cover the planet's surface. Inside the tallest buildings, enormous differences of temperature and air pressure from bottom to top produce unusual and unpredictable micro-climates.

If the Vong pushed the planet closer to the sun, wouldn't this have simply made it more habitable to humans without needing the use of orbital mirrors and such? It seems to me that they did the humans a favor by doing this, so now they should take back Coruscant and rebuild it into the center of the Republic again!!

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It will take hundreds, if not thousands of years to rebuild Coruscant, though, even if the Galactic Alliance can recapture it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.