main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What excites you the MOST about the new WOTC SW:TCG so far?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Artie-Deco, Feb 25, 2002.

?

What excites you the MOST about the new WOTC SW:TCG so far?

Poll closed Mar 11, 2002.
  1. Using dice in combat

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Stackable characters

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. The three arenas

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Using "speed" to determine who battles

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Small sets = easy to collect

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Non-rare main characters

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. It's made by WOTC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. It's designed by Richard Garfield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. It's not made by Decipher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. It's Star Wars, that's enough for me

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
  2. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    Stackable characters is definately the coolest because it is like leveling your character in an RPG. They get more powerful and gain better abilities.

3. DesertWalkerAnakin

DesertWalkerAnakin Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    I voted Stackable Characters (that increase the char abilities). That idea will make this game great.

4. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I honestly like what WotC have done in terms of characters. It brings all a character's experience into the game.

If I wasn't such a big fan of the CCG, I might have said the last option, but just being Star Wars isn't enough for me.

DesertWalkerAnakin, I find it strange that your signature says SW:TCG was invaded. In fact, as a Decipher supporter, I find it quite outrageous!

5. DesertWalkerAnakin

DesertWalkerAnakin Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    "DesertWalkerAnakin, I find it strange that your signature says SW:TCG was invaded. In fact, as a Decipher supporter, I find it quite outrageous!"

I'm just playin' around with the quote itself. No harm meant. If you will, "invaded" refers to the slamming everyone is doing to this game before it even takes off.

6. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Nice to have a poll that focuses on the positive!

7. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    ADW- point taken. :D

8. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I don't plan to play it, but if I did, I would like to have non-rare mains. As long as they are better that 2-player starter set and Jedi Pack "mains"

9. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    I voted for stackable characters, though it's really that AND the availabilty of main characters.

Some make the valid complaint that some aspects of the game are unfaithful to the films (e.g., the two-out-of-three win condition). However, through stacking and widely available main characters, the characters who are most active in the Saga will likely become most active in the game. Surely that aspect will make GREAT strides in connecting the game to the films.

Beyond that, the idea's just spiffy (and a seven-year-old's dream). Our favorite heroes and villians can be deployed in frighteningly POWERFUL stacks.

Those who did quite a bit in one film - Qui-Gon, Maul, Wicket (snicker) - will conceivably have three-five cards. And those who traversed several films may have three-five cards PER FILM.

Who then has the greatest potential? Easy: Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and Yoda - who presumably all appear in at least FIVE of the episodes (if you count Obi-Wan as a spirit).

Yoda and Palpatine could be very powerful in manipulating the Force. Very, VERY cool, but neither appeared in ANH, cutting the possibilities slightly. And it's not like they actually fight too much, though I await Yoda ceremonially opening a can of Jedi Whup-Ass in AOTC.

Conceivably, Anakin/Vader will be split, with Anakin serving the Light Side and Vader serving the Dark Side. So, I imagine it won't be the same character card title across the Saga.

But Obi-Wan...

Assuming they don't say that Classic Trilogy Obi-Wan is *really* "Ben Kenobi," and assuming that they include his spirit from late ANH onward, he can EASILY become the most powerful character in the game.

* He dueled at least THREE Sith Lords (Maul, Dooku, and Vader) - including two showdowns with Anakin/Vader.
    * He sliced and diced countless battle droids and other assorted targets.
    * Force telekenesis (pushing droids, retreiving Qui-Gon's saber in TPM).
    * Force jumps and runs.
    * Force "suggestions." - "These aren't the droids."
    * The Coruscant chase in AOTC.
    * The arena scene in AOTC.
    * Piloting a Jedi starfighter.
    * Scaring Tusken Raiders.
    * The nifty disappearing act in ANH.

And plenty of examples of advising Luke - "Run, Luke, run," "Go to Degobah," "Quit doing that or you'll go blind," etc. ;)

This could be very, VERY cool.

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    *whew* Good point, A_B. Hopefully there will be a rule limiting the number of cards you can stack, or that could get out of hand with characters like Obi-Wan. Or, maybe restrictions like gametext where [classic-trilogy] Obi-Wan says "can not be stacked with [prequel-trilogy] Obi-Wan".

11. Achtung_Bubba

Nov 9, 2001
    Naaaaah. :)

Actually, I asked Richard Garfield in his recent chat about disadvantages to stacking, and he says that deploying a new character (rather than stacking a deployed character) generally deploys more hit-points to draw fire from your opponent - and keeps you from suffering from special cards that could hurt one specific character.

So, hopefully, choosing between stacking and spreading the field will be a hard decision, each time. And the possibility of sending out a team of Luke, Mace, Han, Padme and Chewbacca is just as cool as sending out Super Obi-Wan.

12. jedi_master_knite

jedi_master_knite Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm really into card games, and to think that WOTC is making a Star Wars games is like my all time dream. Yeah... decipher is okay. I think the cards look cool, but that's basically all they are good for. Looks. I think the gameplay concept for the decipher card games isn't trivial enough. there is no planning, no scheme of things. Basically all you do is put your card down and compare it to your opponents. WOOPDOO! Sorry not enough action for me, and then they try and make the instructions a little too difficult. my 18 year old cousin couldn't grasp it, sad. That discourages people to playing it.

I agree that the game might be a little close to Magic, but all the WOTC games are. If you look at all of them and compare it to Magic, they're basically the same idea. But I love all of them. So, in repsonse, just the idea of the game makes me incredibly happy.

13. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Stackable characters. Imagine stacking your Anakin up to his most powerful and getting ready to do major damage-- only to have the Darkside player stack a Darth Vader on it and take control. Ouch.
    I don't know if this is how it will work, but I imagine it is, and that seems cool.

hmmm. new tpic idea.

14. VinaDelMar

VinaDelMar Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2002
    I have to be true to myself here. I am the the type of person who gets addicted to a game. I had to put down small sets. I know that is a poor choice at best, but I want to collect them all and it becomes next to impossible on a small budget to get one of each or 4 of each quality card if there are 350+ cards in a set. Other than that I like seeing new and different game mechanics. For example, I think LOTR TCG has a cool mechanics that makes for an interesting game. And that is what I like about what I am hearing about SW:TCG.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I think the gameplay concept for the decipher card games isn't trivial enough. there is no planning, no scheme of things. Basically all you do is put your card down and compare it to your opponents.<<

Actually, that desciption for aptly fits the WOTC game, not the Decipher game. In the WOTC game all you are doing is putting your cards down, comparing them (+dice rolls) to your opponents, and then moving on to the next arena basicly. SW:CCG had way more than that- it was more about what you did with your cards and where you played them (the latter which i might add is not even an element in the WOTC game) than how they compared to your opponent's cards.

16. Achtung_Bubba

Nov 9, 2001
    2ndQuest, you're completely ignoring the fact that you have to select which cards to play, what order to play them, and whether to deploy these cards to the arena or have them retreat to keep them from being eliminated. ALL of this is complicated by the fact that the more valuable cards cost more build points AND the fact that the number of build points you have in each turn is randomized.

I think saying that "all you are doing is putting your cards down, comparing them (+dice rolls) to your opponents, and then moving on to the next arena basicly" is an unfair description of the game.

17. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    "Actually, that desciption for aptly fits the WOTC game, not the Decipher game. In the WOTC game all you are doing is putting your cards down, comparing them (+dice rolls) to your opponents, and then moving on to the next arena basicly. "

"I think saying that "all you are doing is putting your cards down, comparing them (+dice rolls) to your opponents, and then moving on to the next arena basicly" is an unfair description of the game. "

I really don't feel that discription fits either of the games. The CCG had alot more than just comparing of numbers and so does the TCG seem to have alot more.

18. scotbot

scotbot Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2002
    >>>"In the WOTC game all you are doing is putting your cards down, comparing them (+dice rolls) to your opponents, and then moving on to the next arena basicly"<<<

Gee, where did you find a complete rulebook to come to this conclusion? Your statement is as unfair as the original statement about the SW:CCG that you were reacting to.

19. Corran-Horn-Rogue9

Corran-Horn-Rogue9 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    Where is the "I do not like it and will never buy option.

20. Corran-Horn-Rogue9

Corran-Horn-Rogue9 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    What good are small sets if they are cramming them down your throat every month.

21. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    There is no "I don't like it and will never buy it" because there is already "The Official SW:TCG Support Poll" where you can express that opinion.

There are only three sets of SW:TCG planned this year, and the last set is planned in the fall, so I doubt there will be more than that this year. At that pace you're looking at maybe one new set per quarter. That hardly constitutes "one per month".

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>"I think saying that "all you are doing is putting your cards down, comparing them (+dice rolls) to your opponents, and then moving on to the next arena basicly" is an unfair description of the game."

"Gee, where did you find a complete rulebook to come to this conclusion? Your statement is as unfair as the original statement about the SW:CCG that you were reacting to."<<

It's not really a fair description to either game, but it IS a closer description of SW:TCG's gameplay than SW:CCG's, which is the counterpoint i wished to make to the original comment. I'm basing this upon the turn descriptions MJK posted to these boards and I'm not trying to say that's all there is to SW:TCG, but I merely wished to point out that it was a seemingly contradictory statement, that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.