Census What explanation do you accept for the diversity of life on Earth?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Sep 10, 2012.

?

What explanation do you accept for the diversity of life on Earth?

Naturalistic Evolution 63 vote(s) 64.9%
Theistic Evolution 17 vote(s) 17.5%
Old Earth Creationism 4 vote(s) 4.1%
Young Earth Creationism 5 vote(s) 5.2%
Alien Seeding 5 vote(s) 5.2%
Other 3 vote(s) 3.1%
  1. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
  2. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    He's not nearly blond haired, blue eyed and Republican enough to be Jesus!
  3. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    It's funny to think that a powerful deity started life or is "guiding" evolution, because it really is a horrible way to go about it. It's like making the speed of light the speed limit of the universe, or filling up most of it with lifeless crap, or... yeah.
    Darth_Invidious and Lord_Vivec like this.
  4. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    Okay who is the other alien seeder?
  5. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I think the problem comes in when we are adressed with God being omnipotent and all the logical fallacies that go with such a tag. I could however, fast forward technological progress thousands of years or even millions of years ahead and you run into "Any sufficiently advanced civilization is indistiguishable from God". If there is a Dyson Swarm anywhere in this galaxy it could accomplish anything OR be able to once and for all know if anything is indeed possible in reality. Wormholes? if you have th etech to capture all of the Sun's output you'll know. Other universes? Etc.

But that is all spectulation. It has a basic ground in science and scientific speculation(not to mention science fiction), but still falls under the heading "We do not know." Hence I am an atheist.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Naturalistic Evolution, as is the only way.

Evolution is hardly a perfect thing, it has created many failed species during the course of Earth's long history. This is why I'm not sure one could argue God did it, surely everything God does is perfect and Evolution in general tends to produce a lot of imperfection which changes over time.

Also, if Humans were made in God's image it suggests they are the pinnacle of creation and as a version of God can't go beyond what they are. Evolution will evolve us further or we will simply die out and be replaced by something better and more adaptable. If we are the perfect creation of God, why would he allow that?
    Last edited by SithLordDarthRichie, Sep 11, 2012
  7. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    "Image of God" doesn't refer to the physical, but to the soul, at least for Catholics and mainstream Protestants.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    So, God doesn't actually look like us?
  9. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Jews, Muslims, and most Christians believe God has no body (I think Mormons are the only Christians with any significant following that believe God has a body).
  10. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    It seems The Simpsons lied to me, I feel ashamed.

[IMG]

Still, it's right most of the time

Last edited by SithLordDarthRichie, Sep 11, 2012
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    ANONYMOUS POLL VIVEC GEEZ

nazi
    Darth_Invidious and Ender_Sai like this.
  12. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    lol

someone got caught
  13. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    It was me. I was going for Theistic Evolution, and then I realized they are the same thing and Alien Seeding sounded cooler.
  14. Platelet Jedi Master

star 2
    I believe evolution occurred without divine intervention, but I also believe in God. I chose theistic evolution in the poll.
  15. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    wait how could an allpowerful god NOT have a hand in evolution? or are you positing a demiurge that set things in motion and then said "**** it, imma go watch tv" for the next 13+ billion years
  16. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Can you blame him? He probably gets like 2000 channels.
    Darth_Invidious and Ender_Sai like this.
  17. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    If they're as interesting as his books, I'm not sure that's saying much.
  18. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I dunno, I thought "The Joy of Cooking Steve Allen" was pretty good.

... We are referring to our lord and savior Steve Allen, right?
  19. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    So what's going to be our next "poll", whether you accept the germ theory or demon theory of disease?
  20. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    That was just me taking the piss with that whole "affirmative action" thing.
  21. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I fore one am of the opinione that there are foure humorf that affect our statef of health.
  22. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    supply-sider attacks discredited theory of reality; hurls rocks from crystalline abode
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Sep 11, 2012
  23. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Er...have I ever given indication on the boards that I am a supply-sider? It's fair to say I have a conservative disposition, and that I reject a lot of the claims of liberal orthodoxy, but I have never advocated supply side economics per se, publicly or privately, one of the prime reasons for that being that I have never really formally studied economics and don't feel comfortable espousing any systematic position other than ad hoc obsevations.

I am, however, actively trying to educate myself in this regard.
    Last edited by Condition2SQ, Sep 11, 2012
  24. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
  25. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    As in, I have never come out and explicitly said, "supply side economics is the way forward and the solution to our economic woes!". I have made some statements along the way that conform to that paradigm rather easily, but I assure you that's pure coincidence.

I'm actively working to educate myself on schools of economic thought(my academic pursuit for the past few years has been almost entirely dedicated to world history, international relations, and the history of the three Abrahamic faiths). If I ever do become a full-fledged supply-sider, rest assured I'll be the first to acknowledge it :p
    Last edited by Condition2SQ, Sep 11, 2012