main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What fanfics appeal to you?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by PadmeAmidalaNaberrie, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeAmidalaNaberrie

PadmeAmidalaNaberrie Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    I am interested in writing a fanfic, but I don't want only er... 2 people to come! :p

So, what are the most popular fanfics and how do you grab a reader's attention so that they stick around?

thanks!

-Padmé

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    If I only knew ...

I've been trying for months to analyse that elusive quality in fics that brings in the readers and won't let go of them. But in the meantime, I've learned to be happy with my few but intelligent and discerning fans--quality over quantity! ;)

3. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    So true, Jane Jinn. It really doesn't matter how many readers you have, as long as you have loyal, smart readers. Besides, writing should be for the love of it, not for reviews. But to some, they like variety, and if you come up with some orginal plot, that catchs the readers' attention.

4. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hmm.. when I look around, I see an abundance of Jedi stories. JA, Prequel-era, NJO... you get the picture. Now, personally, I'm not a fan of the Jedi. I don't think I've read ANY of the fanfics on the board right now from beginning to end (although I've glazed over a few, just to see if they weren't Jedi-based).
    Me, I'm an old-school OT fan. Stuff blowing up, Rebels and Imperials going at it on and off the battlefield, very little Force use, etc. All the fanfics I write are like that, because that's what my personal preference is. I dunno about everyone else, and I can't really speak for them.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    PAN, there's a wide variety of stories on this board because there's a wide variety of of likes and interests here.

Personally, I'm hooked on the JA stories, even though my time has become very limited here. I've also on occasion checked out stories outside that particular genre.

I'd suggest writing what is of interest to you. I can only see a better quality story if it's one you would enjoy.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    What about originality? Why not create your own characters? That way you're not really limited to the history of existing characters and the lore that is attached to them. (And you get away from the pre-programmed mindset of your audience.)

7. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, I'm a big advocate of original characters (like mine, 9-LOM) but I'm also a big "continuity" stickler; I'll research EVERYTHING there is to know about an existing person/place/thing/event before I include it in a fanfic, to make sure I use it "properly". Needless to say, I'm not a fan of AUs/crossovers in any way, shape, or form. :)

8. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Looks like you've got all types of fan in here. Hi, the names Am and I'm a prequel fan. I basically deal with Anakin, Padme, and early Obi-Wan etc. There are always a number of fans for that genre. Though, to tell the truth their all popular, people love reading about Jedi. Hope that helps! :)

Am [face_love]

9. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I personally prefer OT, POst ROTJ and NJO (Basically fics with Lukie in them ;)) I can handle small AU fics, anything that doesn't mess with the OT storyline usually (There are exceptions.)

Though personally I have never written anything for the crowds (Sometimes I'm amazed I get readers at all.) I just writer what I get inspired to do, and have a lot of fun :)

10. Angel_Skywalker

Angel_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2002
    I made the experience, that you find lots of friendly JA readers out there ;) !!!
    Especially if you´ll write an angst/mush fic, you won´t have problems with to les readers!!!
    I think for the first fic, it´s the perfect genre!!!

But you´ve to write a fic you like, don´t forget this!!!!

Angel_Skywalker

11. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Unfortunely, PadmeAmidalaNaberrie, story topics of interest are like Tamagochies; a fad that ebbs and flows. For the most part, late last year and into this year there was Ani/Ami fics popping up all over; new writers adding more stories along with the Usual Suspects of Ani/Ami fiction. Now? Your guess is as good as mine.

JA had it's surge too early last year: seemed to me the first ten lines on page one at times was JA of some sort. Now it's down a bit, not much, but again still down.

Like JaneJinn said: you can take a stab, and like I say you can try to run with the crowd, but it doesn't achieve success.

Currently the trend is leaning for 'Long Distance Runners'; fics that sure look like they are going to be on the boards for a while, or fics that have been and continue to be unfolding. Ani/Ami may make a comeback after AOTC comes out, and perhaps more Obi torture than ever before.

But again, it is so hard to predict.

12. wedgeyboy

wedgeyboy Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    I would say that there have been a lot of new NJO fics lately, especially Kyp/Jaina ones. This is probably because we're converting people to liking them, but I don't know.

I like Kyp/Jaina fics. Not much else, some other EU fics, but nothing before RoTJ.

Wedgeyboy

13. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    It really depends on what you like to work with, and we constantly experience fads on the board.

JA seems to have a pretty good following, but I don't really read into that.
    Anakin and Padme stories always seem to generate automatic readers as well.
    Han and Leia stories usually will bring a lot of Original Trilogy readers/authors.
    As for NJO, that's constantly changing. Anakin and Tahiri fics were really popular right after SxS and Jaina/Kyp or Jaina/Jag always seem to interest people. Jacen/anyone usually don't get a wide audience.
    Original character fics have to work harder than others to attract an audience, but I've seen a number that do terrific.

Just pick something you want to do. Being poular isn't near as rewarding as knowing you've written something intelligent that your readers (no matter the number) will appreciate, and something you enjoyed writing. :)

14. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    I agree with ArnaKyle, write what you like. Don't do it just for the most readers. If you don't like what you're writing then you wouldn't put as much effort into it and it wouldn't turn out as good. And that's not fun for you and for your readers. Personaly, I'd still write even if I only got 1 or 2 readers. I wrote before I even got on the boards and all this has done is let me improve (or so I hope) on my writing.

But if you really want the readers, JA has a nice little following. That's almost always had at least a few people per story. I usually do JA and/or AU's, anything with Obi-Wan.

Anyway, my advice is to do what you like, whether it be JA, OT, NJO or orginal characters. Or whatever. If it has to do with Star Wars, I'm sure you'll find a reader on this board. :D

~Swede :p

15. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Another thing I forgot:

I'm guilty of doing a fic to gain a few readers, which I will admit was probably my most successful to date. However, I did enjoy writing it, and I especially loved all the feedback I've gotten. But, when faced with the choice for a new story, I chose to do a Jacen story and an entirely original character fic (both of which are HUGE challenges). I've learned that my original character fic is one of the most rewarding projects I've done yet. It has slowly picked up readers, and all of them seem to really enjoy it! So it's quite an experience to do something YOU want. :)

16. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I like reading stories with just good and honest writing. If a story has been beta read once to often, it shows. It picks away at the story itself and loses something important. Substance. I've abandoned reading more than afew stories because of this.

My favorite kind to read in general lately are stories with the characters are made up by the author. They're the best! :)

17. Padawn_JB

Padawn_JB Jedi Master star 3

Mar 16, 2002
    For me, I like Anakin And Amidala mush. I won't, I repeat WON'T read any triangle thing with Obi Wan, Anakin and Amidala. I also like story's about lightside Anakin's.

18. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Personally, I like Anakin/Amidala and Anakin (Solo)/Tahiri mush stories (yes, I *am* a guy)

19. Princess_Tranquility

Princess_Tranquility Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2002
    OT fics, and anything that takes place before the NJO. I'm a big Luke fan, and I'm a big Han fan as well. Their friendship appeals to me. But anyways, I like any stories from ANH to pre NJO with Luke in a promenant role.

20. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    I'll read anything that attracts my attention, but I'm especially partial to fics with Obi-Wan, Anakin Skywalker/Vader, or Anakin Solo. Those are my absolute favorite characters, and I like reading how people expand their personalities outside of the books.

But what you want to write is completely up to you! Write what you have a liking for, and don't worry about getting people to read it -- if you're persistant and do have a passion for the story you're writing, it'll attract people by itself. I, myself, see writing as an art -- there's no way to exact it, because there is no standard, but it's an exotic weave of words and plot that, in the end, ties to make a beautiful picture in the end -- maybe sad, maybe dark, maybe full of love and mush and happiness -- but in the end, a portrait, done and polished and detailed in a way that is unique to each author. Sorry, I tend to ramble 8-} Hope that helps!

21. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    If you know anything about me, it's the fact that I LOOOOOVE OT AU's. Although there is a considerable lack of them, I will pretty much read anything that has the OT characters in them. I enjoy Intertrilogy as well, because it opens up lots of opportunities for Ami/Vader AU's ;)

Prequel and NJO I will read, but they're not my favorites. I do NOT like JA.

Oh, yeah: Sith Lords rock this world. To coin a phrase from DarthLothi: "In my opinion, the best character in the Star Wars saga died at the end of Return of the Jedi." And it's true. Darth Vader has, and always will, be my favorite character. I can do a lot with his character.... his internal thoughts, feelings and the like are challenging to work with, which makes him such an interesting person. If a story has anything to do with Vader, you can count on my reading it ;)

That's what I like to read, and there's my two cents. Keep writing, people!

22. PadmeAmidalaNaberrie

PadmeAmidalaNaberrie Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow! Thanks for responding everyone!

Here's an other question: What type of perspective do you prefer, if any?

Well, I was thinking of writing a Jan Ors fic, but I not very sure right now, I'm currently just tinkering with some ideas! :p

In case you don't know who she is, she's somewhat the partner of Kyle Katarn from Dark forces.

But only problem is though, is that I really don't agree with her backround life they gave her and even some of her adventures... gah I don't know! :p help!

-Padme

23. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Hmm, seems there are two kinds of people on this board; those who like JA and those who don't.

Why don't you ... write a story where Amidala gets caught in a time warp and ends up running into ... Wraith Squadron?

24. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Hmm, seems there are two kinds of people on this board; those who like JA and those who don't.

[face_laugh]

Too true!

25. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Really? I don't fall under either of those catagories, I'm completely indifferent to JA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.