What fantasy artist do you want to see cover a Star Wars novel?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think Tony Diterlizzi would be great.
  2. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    not Fantasy, but Id like Mark Gibbons to do one. He used to do work for Games Workshop
  3. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    My favorite is Doug Beakman. He did Sword in the Storm, which is my favorite cover, as well as Midnight Falcon, Heroes Die and a few others I think. Some other artists:

Royo. Did the Rhapsody trilogy, the US version of Wayfarer's Redemption, and several of David Gemmell's books.

Boris Vallejo would be awesome, I like his Vernor Vinge covers and his Conan covers.

Michael Whelan would be pretty cool, Keith Parkinson might be okay.

Definitely not Darrell K. Sweet.
  4. Ana Vitorrian Jedi Knight

star 3
    Who does the covers for Michael Moorcock's books? I'd be curious to see his/hers interpretation of a Yuuzhan Vong . . . . of any caste!!!
  5. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    And either of the Youlls. One did the X-wing books, one the Tales from... Trilogy.
  6. DesignSith Jedi Knight

star 2
    Micheal Whelen (glassonion.com) does beautiful covers... I'd say he's the best 'realistic' artist in the genre: He's done pretty much everything. I'd like to see him do a simple portrait or landscape style cover - none of that collage or spaceship crap they're currently using. (Although I must say, the Edge of Victory covers aren't too bad.)

Whelen is currently working on 'fine art' stuff, but a girl can dream, right?
  7. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    John Howe, who does a lot of Tolkien stuff.
  8. Fiolith Jedi Padawan

Todd Lockwood or Stephen Danielle
    My favorite illustrator is Juan Gimenez, but he does European comics, so I don't think there is a chance there.
    here'S a sample, just click on the cover

DiTerlizzi is one of my favorites, but his style doesn't really fit in Star Wars.
    His monster or characters look ridiculous, strange, which is perfect for Planescape feel, but I wouldn't see him draw a Yuzzhan Vong in anger. But he's really good at giving an evil cunning look to them, so I don't know.
  9. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    DiTerlizzi has several different styles he can adapt to.

Lockwood had a great Dragon Magazine cover a few months ago, and Terese Nielson's cover this month is great too.
  10. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Master

star 1
    It might be interesting if Frank Herbert wrote a Star Wars book, but it would be pretty impossible since he's dead. Maybe his son could.
  11. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    uh.. you didn't pay very close attention to the topic, did you?
  12. LordMoltar Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yoshitaka Amano, Keith Parkinson, or maybe Larry Elmore. (I know, Larry's a bit of a stretch, but it would be interesting.)
  13. Moridin RPG Author

VIP
    star 3
    Michael Whelan is some sort of god, I swear. Did you know his paintings are actually done larger than life size? For example, look at the covers to the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Each cover has a person on it -- and in the actual paintings, those people are TALLER than Whelan himself. These paintings take up entire walls in his studio. That's so wicked.

Amano rocks; Amano doing Star Wars would not rock.
  14. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I've seen Larry Elmore scifi art for Star Drive from a long time ago.
  15. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  16. LordMoltar Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Star Drive"? May I please have a bit more info?

Oh geepers! How could I forget Darrell Sweet? He who has helped me visualize much of the "Wheel of Time" series.
  17. Boba Frett Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, Darryl K. Sweet, from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (also Modesitt, Jr.'s books). The cover of Crown of Swords is friggin' awesome!
  18. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think that is what it was called. it was a cifi roll playing seting published by TSR maybe 15 or more years ago.
  19. DesignSith Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sorry guys, I have to disagree. Darrel K. Sweet's artwork is horrid. It may be petty, but I utterly refuse to buy books with covers by him. (And the more my WOT-reading friends complain, the more I'm glad I abstained.)

His anatomy is occasionally out of whack, his people look furry (when they're not supposed to be furry), and he can't even keep characters looking consistant between books (Wheel of Time). Ugh.
  20. LordMoltar Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh wait! I think I know what you're talking about now, Darth Ludicrous. I just haven't seen enough of "Star Drive" to fully comment, but I know of its existence.

21. Traders_Luck Jedi Knight

star 3
  22. JoJo Jedi Knight

23. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Aye, Brom would be excellent.
  24. LordMoltar Jedi Knight

star 2
    Another possible idea would be Luis Royo.
  25. Dev_Jannz Jedi Knight

I think that Ted Nasmith would be a cool one to some Star Wars art. He does some great stuff for Tolkien.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.