main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What fantasy artist do you want to see cover a Star Wars novel?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    Boris would be excellent.....though his art would probably violate Lucas' PG ratings...

Tim Bradstreet...I would like to see his rendition of a Vong, though his stuff might be a little dark for SW....

I like Cam Kennedy's art inside the original Dark Empire series...I like seeing art that is not just a retouched photo of an actor for stuff like this, ya know?

2. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    After looking at the link provided by Fiolith, I believe that Juan Gimenez would be an ideal artist to capture the general look of the main characters in the current books.
    Luke, Leia, Han and the Vong all have their visual appearances nailed down to some degree.
    However, I have yet to have a crystal clear representation of what the entire Author community has in mind when writing the Solo children.
    There have been images of them on the covers, just not consistent ones in my opinion.

Michael Whelan would be a superb choice for the coming covers of the NJO.
    One might argue that he is better suited at representing the landscapes of fantasy and imaginative writing, but in my train of thought that would make him one of the better choices for a Star Wars cover artist.
    Pictures like The End of Nature II or The Crossing would be magnificent in illustrating planets and environments such as Yavin or even the newly contrived Jedi World that Kam Solustar speaks of in Rebirth.
    He could easily transfer the sandy dunes of Tatooine into pictorial form or use amazing color and shape of form to present more defined worlds such as Coruscant or Duros.

Much like the classic Star Wars conceptual art of Ralph McQuerrie, Michael would show the many characters in far or distant view as he spends more of his time engraving the vivid landscapes of his imagination.
    Armenia might best be suited to showing this factor, that the character or beings in question such as Luke Skywalker or Leia Solo can take backseats to the more vivid settings and visuals of the Star Wars universe.
    That picture alone could easily be a template for the cognition of the artistic representation of a new cover of Star Wars art. The sinking city could symbolize the destruction of yet another society at the hands of the Vong who could be show as flying Coral Skippers in the sky above the transcending cityscape. The girl standing behind the pillar could just as easily be Leia or Jaina, a woman living in a time of ignorance with her back turned to the tragedies taking place around her.
    Yet in other images such as The Leavetaking we can see that the human figure also has moments as the center of the drawing.

As we become introduced to more creative and unique settings and planets in the NJO, we could come to believe that Michael Whelan might be best suited to illustrate these new landscapes for us.
    As always there are plenty of artists for the choosing.

3. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Didn't Bradstreet do all the art for the Baron Fel issues of the X-Wing comics?

4. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    i personaly love the Sword of Truth covers by Kevin Murphy.........but...all of this seems strange in that SW books have sort of surreal covers with floating fragmented imagery NJO especaly...while most fantasy books have a detailed image of a scene from the book or just a high detail, high clarity view of a setting in general...the two seem rather distant in content and so even if a fantasy artist were to do a SW cover, the result might not be at all what their work normaly looks like were they to be required to conform, at least in part, to the vauge and fragmented style of the SW books...

5. Galadrielz

Galadrielz Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2001
  6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    From the fantasy covers I have seen, they arent very appealing to me.

BUT, I'd rather have whoever does those Japanese SW covers! THOSE ROCK!

7. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    the Japanese covers are knockoffs of art already done by US artists. There has been no originality in them yet.

8. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Thank you DL...someone finaly says it...

9. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    Okay, so the Japanese covers may be a bit of a knock-off. They still do look nice to me. They MAY look nicer yet if they were done in the Manga style.

10. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    The Manga covers by Adam Warren are nice, but the Japanese style of art should be restricted to comics, as they have a better chance of being appreciated there.
    The books on the other hand should continue to adopt a serious look.

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I dont give a rats arse if the Japense covers are knock offs. The detail and quaility of the artwork is what matters to me. At least on those they make Han AND Luke look right. Far better then what the US versions have done.

12. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I've always liked Boris' artwork. Clyde Caldwell, the Hildebrandts, and Keith Parkinson are great.

13. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    Actually, the Brothers Hildebrandt already did some "Star Wars" artwork. They have a collected artbook for it. But I would welcome a return from them.

14. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    You're right; I had forgotten about that. I'd love to see them do more SW work, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.