main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What fate should befall Kyle Katarn in the NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by quietlunatic, Nov 12, 2001.

?

What fate should befall Kyle Katarn in the NJO?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Kyle Katarn? Who is he?

11.1%
  2. Turning to the Dark Side (again) and opening up a can...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Entering the Jedi Order and then opening up a can...

61.1%
  4. A violent death at the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong

5.6%
  5. The painless death of the obscure GFFA character

5.6%
  6. Nothing

11.1%
  7. Other (Post to explain)

5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
  2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    What I've been saying all along.

3. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    I still prefer a game based on this. I have a hard time imagine Kyle cooperate with others [face_plain]

4. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Just trying to see what people think. I've sorta reached a crossroads in A Return to Arms , my Kyle Katarn & Jan Ors fanfic, and I'm searching for opinions.

So what do you think? It'd be greatly appreciated if you could check out ARTA and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
    ql :D

(If I've upset any admins by not posting this in the Fanfic Planning forum, I apologize, but I wanted exposure to an audience other than other writers.)

5. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I would like it if they continued to leave him out. I never liked the idea of him being included in the EU and never will. I feel that way about pretty much every video game character.

6. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Dammit; is Rookie One never going to have his day?! ;)

7. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I hope Rookie One died a fiery death at Endor...

8. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    What with the shelf-life of Rebellion pilots, especially those with the callsign "Rookie"...go figure - he's probably dead several times over now.

But, who knows; maybe he's still out there, saving the New Republic time after time after time...

9. Ornitier

Ornitier Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2000
    Rookie one could have been female too I thought... Anyways, Kyle already has his novels just they haven't tied him in with the oher characters... makes no sense... His book featured other major characters, but the major character's haven't featured him yet.

10. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Perhaps he shot Ru Murleen after the zillionth time she used that "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" gag. Now he is languishing in a cell somewhere.

11. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Umm...right. No disrespect to Rookie One or his fans that have posted, but he's probably dead. The simple explanation is because I don't want to get blasted by the mods for being off-topic; I'll gladly post in another thread that questions Rookie One's fate, though.

So what about Kyle Katarn then? In all seriousness; what would you wish to become of him in the NJO? Please elaborate!

ql

12. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Mods be damned :)

Rookie One's last documented appearance was in Rebel Assault 2: The Hidden Empire, and it took place shortly before Endor.

13. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Seriously though, if you want to talk about Rookie One, I'm sure the powers that be would tolerate a thread about that.

Please, though, try and lay off about this "mods be damned" bit.

To quote Luke, I feel like we're being watched.

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Paranoid much?

Personally, I want to see Kyle come in and kick some Vong arse. Of course, they'll need an explanation: Has he been off fighting on his own all this time? Has he been working with his wife, Jan, and/or NRI? Has he been living on a secluded world and doesn't even know about the invasion? Has he been off on some mission? Hopefully there will be a Jedi Outcast expansion that covers this stuff.

With regards to Rookie One, yeah, I'm guessing he's dead, or living happily with Ru somewhere.

15. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Its obvious why he isnb't mentiuoned, he and Jan are retired. But if rieekan was reactivated, then soon he will, I'm writing a fic on how Lando got his droids, and Katarn's reactivation... oh yeah, and he nad Jan have a son.

16. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Yesss...I am very paranoid. Having four readers for A Return to Arms despite the story being about 25 pages on MS word (Hint, hint) has made me that way. I had Kyle and Jan stuck on Sernpidal until Rahn gives Kyle the hint to leave.

Veng_Commando, I don't think Jedi retire. We didn't see Yoda in the retirement home at 850 or 900, why should it be any different for Kyle? Still, it looks like our fics have something in common! Would you mind linking your fic ['cause I'm too lazy to look for it] so we can see your take on what's become of him.

Thanks!
    ql

17. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I dun know how to make a link, and he becomes a Jedi knight, then gos back to the NRAF, uh, New republic Armed forces, to lead commando raids till the end of the Thrawn Duology. It's why we dun hear of him much

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    No he doesn't

19. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Valiento the Kyle Guru!

So, what is Kyle doing? Can anyone definitively say? Does anyone care about A Return to Arms so that I can keep/stop shamelessly promoting it? :p

Thanks.

ql

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Katarn in a minute: EDIT-- this is from memory so there may be an error or two.

Kyle trained as a stormtrooper, worked as a special agent for the rebs after his father's murder came to light, got the death star plans, but was so upset at how mothma mistrusted him and at how the empire had betrayed him that he became a pirate or mercenary for a while (possible saving Jan's life?). He worked for the rebels and stopped the Dark Trooper operation. From that time (shortly after ANH) until a year after Endor we don't know what he was doing, but that's when the events of JK took place. We know that by 5 years after that he was a captain in some branch of the NR military, and that at that time he was approached by Mara, and agreed to train her as a Jedi. This is around the time of DE. They go to Altyr 5, at which point the Empire attacks, Kyle finds the reference to the sith temple and goes to dromuund kaas, where due to the sith magics and alchemy he falls to the Dark Side, to be redeemed by Mara. Shortly thereafter, he attended Skywalker's academy, but was unsettled by the way he had fallen to the darkside, so gave his lightsaber to Luke and retreated from the Jedi way. But then, around the time of Crystal Star I think, the new threat of JO popped up and he became a Jedi again, albeit a bitter one it seems. We don't know how that game will end or what further adventures he's had.

21. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Kick some Vong butt. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.