main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What felt like the most near-universe-breaking things in both Legends and New EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Well, you can say his potential had already been unlocked; he just needed to simply re-tap into it. Rey went from learning Spanish verbs to speaking in fluent Spanish within days.

godisawesome likes this.
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    You should rewatch the movie. That's not what happened.

Luke trashes the hut. Rey demands "Did you create Kylo Ren," but he dismisses this and turns his back on her. Both of their emotions are clouding everything, so she manages to hit him in the back with her staff; he falls but recovers quickly. THEN they have their improvised stick fight, in which he blocks or avoids every blow. Then she summons her lightsaber and swings, he drops intentionally so as not to lose his face then he catches himself with the Force.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

Touché.

4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    For me the worst point of Legends was Vader being captured by Rebels in TFU 2. Which is double sad as TFU 3 would have apparently gone fully AU, with Galen and Vader teaming up against the emperor, and would have probably retroactivley decanonized TFU 2 or at least the ending of it.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I had a great idea how to open TFU III.

Darth Vader is brought to the Rebel Headquarters on Dantooine or wherever. Darth Vader tries to corrupt Galen once more and the Rebellion is all set to put Vader on trial when Galen's clone frees Darth Vader and they proceed to massacre everyone in the base as an Imperial fleet arrives. Galen Marek kills his clone but Vader promptly defeats Galen in a cutscene, showing that he threw the fight.

Maybe have Vader say, "I will have a NEW apprentice. The one who destroyed the Death Star."

Then Rahm Koto sacrifices himself to give Galen time to escape.

Galen and Juno are then outlawed by the Rebellion as all they know is that he freed Darth Vader and led an Imperial fleet to the place. The rest of the game would have been Galen hunted by Jedi-killers as he seeks a way to cleanse his soul of the Dark Side of the Force. At one point, he'd meet with Luke Skywalker right before the Battle of Endor on Tatooine and get a pep talk.

Actions during the adventure:

* Redeeming Maris Brood
    * Seeking out some Old Jedi Temples
    * Visiting Korriban
    * Sabotaging the engines on the Executor during the Battle of Endor
    * Preventing reinforcements from attacking the Bunker attack crew and Ewoks
    * Facing "Dark Galen" in the grand finale, only to discover that he was just the Dark Side inside him all along.

Darth Caliban, Havoc123 and Voltron64 like this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I think a good TFU III would have been vader escaping perhaps with fett's help and then Galen and co. doing very missions for the alliance before Marek, Kota and Juno all die saving the alliance leadership from dark galen.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah that was bad example. There's no argument that Rey's power and how insanely quickly she came to her power with such little training is unprecedented, but that's not a scene where it's displayed.

8. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Sadly enough I read a FFG card for Rey and it labels her ‘Force prodigy’ and that sticks in my head.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And did not the TLJ novel reveal that Rey had sieved through Ben’s mind and drew out a degree of technique in TFA, even as he rummaged through her mind and tugged information out?

I’m content with Rey’s progression. She’s been designed to stop a Chosen One descendant by the Unifying Force. I’ve never been entirely convinced that training is required to unlock use of the Force; only conscious use. The Force works through us when we are in sync with it... and lightsiders and Jedi are generally more so.

Starkiller is likely the side effect of the Force darkening, Vader genetically tweaking Galen’s body, and perhaps - perhaps - an aborted attempt by the Force to balance things, what with Galen, the crazy powerful Force user in Coruscant Nights, the Child of Light and arguably Kyle Katarn and Kyp Durron turning up during the Clone Wars/Dark Times...

... it’s always been palatable to me that there were Chosen Ones, or Sith’ari’s, multiple.

Adas may have been Sith but he opposed the Architect-allied Rakata; Xendor could have been suitably special what with the Ones crossing paths with him; Revan in all his forms; the Outlander; Phanius, what with his described power and obsession with One self, and potential meeting with the Ones; Bane, who unconsciously used the Force for years, and even was able to consciously use it without training. By the time of the Skywalker Epoch the Force is attempting to self-regulate but the Skywalker-Solo clan is able to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    We're not too far off from real life http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_TradeChips :p . Soon they will be listing midichlorian counts on these cards. Rey's count is 999 quintillion. ;)

11. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    "Sadly enough"?

12. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I don't even remember saying that. Must have been some stronger **** than I was used to the other night

Darth_Duck likes this.
  13. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

George Lucas should make an appearance in Episode 9 as God.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Maybe as a personified avatar of the Unifying(Cosmic) force or something. In fact I'd like that quite a bit.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I find the most Universe breaking thing about Star Wars is the fan base sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    A film character shouldn't need a tie-in novel to explain their progression, imho. Lucas didn't escape this criticism, Disney Wars shouldn't either.
    So far, Rey's character progression is that she's just so darn good at things and her big challenge in TLJ was coming to terms that she literally is just so darn good.
    By the end of AOTC, Anakin was a mass-murderer and had come around on a fascist world-view. By the end of ESB, Luke had lost his family and his best friend and stood to lose another and his dad was a galactic-scale tyrant. Both had also lost an arm.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Since the film threads are on a bit of a time-out right now...[face_whistling]

...I'm going to say my biggest personal breakers are the Mortis Trio and the old Legends "step-mom from hell" Abeloth. It's not that I think they're badly written, it's more that I just think they pull Star Wars more towards a genre I don't see it as. And I still don't actually hate them, or find their quality lacking; part of the reason they're my choice is because they don't actually fit the "so bad, it's best just to ignore it" qualifications I have for certain elements of, say, Prophets of the Darkside, Republic Commandos: Order 66 (which is ignored in part so I can still enjoy Hard Contact) or, yes, a great big heaping part of TLJ.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I feel like people are vastly over stating how powerful Rey is. I've seen comments like "Force god" and jokes that her midichlorian count is "999 quintillion"

Do I find it implausible that she progressed so fast and so far with so little training? Yes. Do I think it's bad writing? Yes.

But the way some people are going about it is making it seem like she pulled a Star Destroyer out of the sky or shot laser beams from her eyes.

Kylun likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm the other way around. Ahsoka doesn't bother me as much as Ezra or Kanan.

darkspine10 likes this.
  20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Actually, when I cast my mind back to Legends, it was the Vong. I know it's a polarizing issue but I'm of the faction that finds them very "un-Star Wars", as if they walked in from some other franchise. I wouldn't mind that so much for a minor menace, but I struggled to the end of the NJO series and found myself particularly vexed that the Vong, whom I also just kinda found gross and boring, ended up affecting the GFFA so drastically -- I probably felt the same way about the Vongforming of Coruscant that a lot of people feel about Luke's arc in TLJ (which I like a lot).

I mostly stopped reading following the EU after that but I understand that they basically hit the reset button for the galaxy anyway... which sort of makes it doubly frustrating.

Oh, and within those books I also found Anakin Solo's death a little bit universe-breaking, just because I knew the OOU mandate from LFL behind it, which was just kinda dumb.

Outsourced likes this.
  21. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    The biggest "huh?" I've ever had while reading the books was probably the Sun Crusher.

I was reading an article about it a while back. I don't remember the source, but I remember this line, which summed it up perfectly:

In regards to The Sun Crusher, the question was asked "Is it possible for a ship to be a Mary Sue?" and that about sums it up.

It has an astronomically higher destructive power when compared to the Death Star, but is the size of a one man ship...huh? Oh and it also can't be destroyed...WHAT?!?!

There are other things that have happened in the books that felt a little "Un-Star Wars-y". The Vong are a great example, but I felt like that was their greatest strength and source of intrigue. They were so radically alien to this galaxy that they almost had to feel like they didn't belong. They were a threat and power that nobody knew how to deal with and they got some solid stories out of it. I also remember people complaining about Durge the bounty hunter from the 2D Clone Wars cartoon as he was labeled "Un-Star Wars-y" but in the world of action based animation, it did what it needed to do: Provide cool visuals and nice action set pieces.

And there are plenty of examples of bad writing and the characters acting unlike themselves. Han Solo abducting Leia to keep her from getting married to someone else comes to mind. Also, Luke joining the Dark Side in Dark Empire always rubbed be the wrong way. But I chalk that up to bad writing and not so much "universe breaking".

But the Sun Crusher. I could just never wrap my head around. It felt like the invention of an 8 year old playing with his friends and wanting to be impervious to everything in the game and is above the rules. It just felt ridiculous. Honestly, I had grown tired of Death Star style doomsday weapons (Darksaber, World Devastators, Galaxy Gun, etc) in the first place and this was another page in that worn out book, but even within the tired trope, the Sun Crusher is silly.

Oh and Wyrwulfs....yeah no.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Regardless of whether or not it was explained in a novel or not, being able to learn how to use the force/fight a like Jedi simply by "sieving" through a Force adept's mind is ridiculous and potentially universe-breaking in it's own right. If you can do that then why all this years of training to be a Jedi that's been established as the norm? If you can just mind meld with a Master and practically be a Master yourself within days?

That's just as universe-breaking as the hyperspace ram.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Vong didn't break immersion for me at all. They were just very dangerous aliens with their own ideology and history who happened to come from another galaxy and wanted to conquer the GFFA.

As for Anakin's death while he isn't my favorite solo kid-his death made sense both in terms of who he is as a character and the context of the death itself-in battle in a very desperate situation.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  24. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    In "Dark Journey" at Anakin's funeral, Jaina thinks to herself(in regard's to the Jedi funeral practice of burning his body) "it doesn't make sense. In fact, nothing about Anakin's death makes sense"

A jab at the LFL editors? Ehhh?
    (but I love the NJO series, particularly the first 11 or so books)

25. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    The Vong are one of my favourite EU things. NJO was peak EU IMO. My one wish for more Legends if it were ever to happen would be for more stories during the Yuuzhang Vong war to be told. With a galaxy-wide war, practically uniting the galaxy against the external threat, over the course of 5 years there are so many stories that could be told with the plethora of established EU characters we have, let alone new ones.

Force Smuggler likes this.