main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What force powers have you invented in-game?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Nktalloth, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    And see - thats the reason (well, ONE of the reasons) that I think the D20 system is a bad game engine. Calling on the dark side should be a serious thing, with VERY serious consiquences. You dont play around with that stuff lightly.

But with the D20 system, it's all "Oh, damn. I've got another DSP. Oh well, back to the game!"

I can think of no faster way to suck the drama out of the room than blowing that off.

2. Nktalloth

Nktalloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    But how, then do you play as a Dark Jedi in d6? How can it be a role-playing game if you aren't allowed to be evil/a douchebag? It's harmful to the Dark Jedi ecosystem!

So, please... when playing d6... change the rules. Think of the poor Sith. ;)
    Seriously, though... there's still the "Waste" involved in overuse of the darkside, and Jedi tend to ostracize those that call on it, so there are still ways of making the effects of the DSP be felt, even if you don't have to turn their character Npc.

Anyways, thank you Marlin-Lazon for your post on Lightsaber construction and use... See, Koohi! Hasbro really can make lightsabers for Npcs! So, nyah!:D

3. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    The thing is, D6 is written as if the players are heroes not villains. Honestly, that's the sort of books I read, and that's the sort of game I prefer to play. That's the sort of movies Star Wars are. And the D6 rule follows the movies very closely. Obi-Wan says it himself, The man who was Luke's father ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. The danger of the dark side consuming a character must not be minor.

However, WEG states that the loss of a character rule is only strongly suggested. The rule book states clearly that there is room for someone to play a dark side character.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    We actually did have one player go over to the darkside & finish out playing his character the entire evening. His actions were in keeping with falling to the dark side. He was not allowed to continue playing that character though.

RPGing being evil is kinda a phase I think everyone goes through in their early 20s. After a while it gets old though. (no offense intended). We still do it from time to time as a novelty, but not as a campaign setting.

I would say, however, that if the character has the resources to build 8 lightsabers, the GM is being awfully generous with crystals. Light-foils are mass produced, and only do 3d6 (compared to the lightsaber 5d6).

5. Marlin-Lazon

Marlin-Lazon Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    Actually not...I've been having to craft my own crystals, too, as Luke Skywalker did in the desert in Ben Kenobi's old home. It's very time consuming, but in our gaming sessions, we've alot of down-time between adventures. Probably my greatest creation was my super-greatsaber (the one that does d10s), as I actually had to construct a new larger crystal crucible in order to forge the oversized crystals.

Of course, the synthetic power crystals (per the rules) are at -1, so everybody crafts the (normally +1) pontite, yielding a lightsaber with neither a bonus nor a penlty. I generally add one or two crystals to customize the effets, and naturally I take the time to mastercraft my weapons. No sense in not gaining all the bonuses I can. Still, generosity has little bearing on how many crystals or other parts I've put together to make sabers. Other than the first mephite crystal, and the bag of saber parts my master gave me to construct my fist saber, I've had to pay cash, time, and personal energy for every piece of saber hardware I own. I even had to research the crysal crucibles....

Nothing in a good character concept is free.

Mariln Lazon, Jedo Guardian, Jedi Ace, Jedi Guardian

6. Jedi_Winter_Knight

Jedi_Winter_Knight Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2005
    I play d20 not d6. I do not agree with the default ruling about taking away a charater. I am glad to see they actualy state though its possible for someone to play a dark sider. In regards to "role playing" for the purpose of the drama/intrigue (not just to be evil; in that regard i agree with you and my group as a whole, do not want to play "evil" characters). However, we play in the NJO and that is a very "grim" era to play in. Several people, including iconic EU pcs have dark side points. Also, the fact a player could fall to the dark side and then come back is an issue. Several Jedi have been dark siders and come back to the lightside Yun, Voss, Duron, Droma, etc. If a PC wants to come back, he should be given the opportunity to do that. Also, carring around a few DSP isn't unreasonable imo considring the charater type you are playing. Charaters like Durron and Rhysode are "good guys" that prob have a few dark side points.
    But that is different (granted) than someone like Vader.

7. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Yeah, I know the NJO is a bit darker, one of the reasons I've never bothered with it. In my mind the Jedi are supposed to be the iconic white hats. It seems like everyone today writes their hero's to be Bruce Wane, brooding and dark, with feet of clay. It was cool in the 80's when it hadn?t been done popularly since film noir. Now I'm bored with it.

Even Kyp was consumed by the Dark Side in the Jedi Academy trilogy. After that he redeemed himself (sorta), but he too was consumed. Granted, a lot of heroes skirt the line, and that?s a sign of good story and good role playing to me. Qui-Gon lied and cheated through TPM, but didn't skirt the dark side to speak of. You have to cross a line to really pull a DSP in D6; it's not every infraction by any means. But doing evil, calling on the dark side, that's big stuff and the threat to one's being should be baleful. Being a ?good guy? doesn?t get you a pass on doing evil.

8. Jedi_Winter_Knight

Jedi_Winter_Knight Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2005
    That is true, but good people sometimes do bad things, for good intentions LOL!

9. Nktalloth

Sep 5, 2005
    Well, yes. Too many peoplo mistakenly try to play an angsty main character, because unless you end up making a whiner or a "lone-wolf" personality for them, they can be a rewarding character. Generally I think people give up playing evil or brooding characters is because they can't think of a new or good way to play one, an so get bored with it. So, in order to continue playing realistic villains, I take the personalities of "real" criminals and apply them to my characters, or I look up mental disorders known to cause violence or sociopathy and try to use them. I've actually found crimelibrary.com to be an invaluable source of information for creating villains, murderers, and the criminally insane. Besides, the real point of an evil campaign is that it'll play almost exactly different from a good campaign (alignment-wise). The best part in an evil campaign I've found is battling secretly against do-gooders, making the occasional mistake that could lead them to my lair, and then have my character die in a blaze of glory. For a while in fact, we had a series of evil campaigns based around a band of good Npc's, and made our own continuing story out of it, maybe even having some of our older characters appear again as a plot twist. It was surprisingly fun. However, now I'm trying to run a game based around seige and mass-combat, so it'll be interesting to see how my players measure up as rulers.
    -Sorry, forgot something. The mistake peopole make is having the evil chars live too long if the entire campaign is an evil one.

However, as enjoyable as this conversation is, I must please draw your collective attention to the topic of this thread, Force Powers. I don't mind it if you want to talk about d6 vs. d20 here, but please try to contribute to the origional topic.
    Thank you. :)

10. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Indeed, and to make up for our divergent conversation, I?ll post another homebrew of mine:

Create Hyper-dense Material
    Alter Diff: difficult
    Effect: compacts material volume and lattice structure to produce hyper dense material, which is resistant to lightsaber blades as there are more bonds the lightsaber blade has to disassociate to cut through the material. Darth Vader?s armor is composed of this material.
    For every five points above difficulty, the material gains an extra die of resistance against lightsabers.

I made this because I?ve always had an adverse reaction to so called ?Sith Alchemy,? and I wanted to make rules for making armor like Vader?s which could take a pretty solid blow from a lightsaber if ESB is any indication. It is statted in, of course, D6. ;)

11. Nktalloth

Sep 5, 2005
    Would this apply only to non-living materials, or could it be used on organics as well? Because I can see a fairly difficult Boss in my players collective futures if so..

12. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Hmm, I never specifically stated, did I?
    However, if this is performed on a biological, they aren't long for the world, I'm afraid. Cellular chemistry is a tricky think and this would play havoc with it. I've assumed it is only performed on metals, carbon structures, and the like.

But still, armor is good stuff, particularly when your Jedi characters start a swinging, thinking that their lightsabers can cut though anything.

13. Nktalloth

Sep 5, 2005
    Hello! It's been a while, but I've thought of a new power:

Forcewalk

Allows players to assume a non-corporeal form by being aborbed by the force. Makes players incapable of doing damage or using other force powers, but frees them from physical restrictions. Ideas?

14. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    "If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine..."

...that seems remarkably like being a blue glowy, and there's already rules for that.

Once you reach the point of letting the force absorb you like that, I'd never let a player go back to their corporeal form.

15. Nktalloth

Sep 5, 2005
    Hm. I wasn't refering to old Ben, but I can see what you mean. It does rather sound like that, doesn't it? However, I meant that a player could not interact with the physical world in any given way. They could still propell themselves, but since they would not be under the influence of gravity it would be rather risky.

The Jedi ghosts can also communicate, something I wouldn't let the players do in forcewalk. Do you know what rulebook it is that has rules for the blue-glowy thing, though? Because the adaptations to forcewalk would probably be pretty small.

16. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    My books aren't with me at the moment, so I'm just recalling off the top of my head.

Jedi Healers gain an ability to become a blue glowy on their last level of the prestige class. Required a certain amount of force points.

Basically, no dark side points, and burning off a certain number of force points (can't recall the number, sadly) to permanently become one with the force, shedding the body and become a blue glowy.

17. Nktalloth

Sep 5, 2005
    Right. And here you thought this thread had died...
    Just an Idea:

Force Avatar.
    Force Avatar can only take effect if you are 100% good or evil. I am not just throwing the word evil around, I mean truly and fully evil. Good is also not being used lightly, as I mean almost annoyingly good. So, then... here we go!

Good
    The effects of the good avatar are as follows:
    1) Character becomes immune to damage, but cannot attack.
    2) Character gains healing abilities beyond what normal characters can obtain.
    3) If any nearby sentients die, the avatar state is cancelled
    4) Character lights up like a searchlight to anyone remotely force sensitive. Literally.
    5) Recedes into comatose state after ability is used.

Evil
    1) Character becomes immune to damage, but slowly loses health due to the nature of the "Dark Side".
    2) Character gains superhuman strength and speed.
    3) If the character cannot kill one sentient being per turn, the effects are lost.
    4) Character lights up like a searchlight to anyone remotely force sensitive. Literally.
    5) Character recedes into a comatose state after ability is used.
    6) Character is also PERMANENTLY scarred and twisted beyond recognition. Whatever the character was before, they now look more demon than mortal being. This does not improve anything about the character, but drags their charisma score to 0. They can regain charisma over time, however their new score only applies if their horrific form is hidden, or they're dealing with someone just as twisted as they are.

Neutral
    1) You got nothin'. That's what you get for not commiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.