main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What Force Powers/Representation of the Force Would You Like To See In The ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Randwulf Crescentmoon, Jan 24, 2014.

?

To What Extent Would You Like To See Force Powers In The ST?

1. I want to see the Force as it was in the films (Mind tricks, telekinesis, etc.)

35 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. I want to see the Force taken to extremes like that of The Force Unleashed games (Suped-up powers)

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. I want to see the Force as it is in the EU (Force-cyclones, Force-teleportation, etc.)

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. I wouldn't mind seeing a mixture of all of the above, if possible, so long as it's done right.

52 vote(s)
    48.1%
  5. Other. (Maybe, a combo of the above options or another unlisted one. If so, give an example.)

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Also throw in some some Force Pushing and lobbing bits of the set at each other.

A mixed martial arts fight with Force powers would be awesome and wouldn't be like The Matrix at all. Plenty of epic martial arts movies out there nothing like The Matrix.

2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    No hand-to-hand combat. Maybe for a bar scene, sure, but not for big fights. It's enough if they kick each other from time to time instead.

Why? Because it makes no sense for two Force users to fight hand-to-hand with "ferocious martial arts", it would just look cheesy. If they really lose their lightsabers, they would probably use Force pushing, Force jumping, and so on, before re-aquiring their sabers.

3. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

In what way would it be "cheesy"? How would only using Force powers not be "cheesy"?

Obi-Wan himself went hand to hand with both Fett and Grevious in the movies and on a few occasions in TCW. Anakin didn't use the Force on Rush Clovis - beat into him with fists a flying.

4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    As I said above, "it's enough if they kick each other from time to time instead."
    That being said, a few kicks and fists during lightsaber duels have been seen in every SW movie so far. That's totally cool and awesome. It's not the same thing as having a long fight only based on martial arts.

5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

That doesn't explain why you think a hand to hand fight between two Force users would be "cheesy" or how a "Force powers" fight would not be.

And at Rodie never suggested "a long fight only based on martial arts ".

6. Rey771

Rey771 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 10, 2015
    The force is something that you need to be really careful with. Sometimes less is more. Lucas overdid it with things like the super fast running, and as a result that means there's problems with consistency as Obi-Wan could have just run faster to save Qui-Gon before those shields closed up again, and blocked him out of that fight. People can start poking too many holes. It starts to look like a cheat.

The other thing is if you overuse something then it loses it's impact which is why it was a mistake to tell a story in a time while Jedi were much more numerous than they were in the OT. You completely lost that sense of wonder on Geonosis when there were hundreds of people with lightsabers slashing all over the place. There wasn't much tension once the jedi showed up. "OMG hundreds of jedi fighting at once", is one of those things that sounds better in theory than it turns out to be in practice That's why I think Old Republic type movies would probably be a mistake. The main characters that should use more impressive force powers on occasion (thought not completely over the top), should be the Yoda and Emperor type equivalents, instead of having them use lightsabers like they did in the prequels, which was ridiculous and poorly thought out.

Force Unleashed kind of stuff might be fun for a video game, but it's actually kind of bad for storytelling. It kills tension and wonder and after a while even the biggest, craziest things start to become banal.

That's one of the reasons why the OT is so much better than the PT. The budgets for the OT and the technology of the time meant Lucas had to use restraint, therefore we ended up with more of a focus on story and less on "wouldn't it be cool if" moments, which when actually realized, weren't so cool. One of the reason's people complained about CGI in the prequel trilogy, was not only because much of it was unconvincing visually in many places, which takes you out of what you are watching, but it meant that you could put nearly anything on screen. Sometimes that is a bad thing. There are many examples of this happening with directors when they have all these toys at their disposal besides just Lucas, like Jackson with The Hobbit, and in my view Cameron on Avatar. Restraint is an underrated virtue in a storyteller.

A force push here and there, a force choke here and there, move a few objects around with their minds, have that moment like Luke does early in Empire when he wills the lightsaber into his hand, and on the very odd occasion maybe something big between two characters with vast knowledge of the force to give you something a bit like Dumbledore vs Voldemort in Potter 5. That's about it.

7. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Off topic and I realize it's a plot point to keep the movie going but there's no internal logic to Anakin and Obi Wan NOT using the force to capture Grevious or Fett. You'd think with the power they have, no mortal would have a chance. Obiwan flung Grevious to the ceiling in one scene. Why not just use the force on Grevious the way the Hulk slammed Loki around in the Avengers until his organic parts become paste inside his metal skeleton.

8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Obi-Wan doesn't use the Force, because Grievous doesn't give him the chance. He keeps the fight going and there is no break for Obi-Wan to make a Force move. Plus, the Jedi do seem to prefer not using their powers against an opponent who isn't Force sensitive is several cases - why I don't know.

9. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Feb 7, 2015
    I would think, in a war where Grevious is your most important target, using the force to at least capture him wouldn't be out of the question. I'm sure there were enough breaks in the fighting. Remember Raiders of the Lost Ark where that big guy is waving his sword around and Indy just shoots him dead? Obiwan could have done something similar with the force against Grevious while he's waving his 4 lightsabers around. As was mentioned above, when the Jedi are shown to have super powers way beyond non force users, the internal logic is broken when they DON'T use those powers in key situations such as capturing or killing their primary target in a galaxy wide war.

UNLESS, the Jedi have something akin to the Geneva Convention ;)

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

"I'm sure there were enough breaks in the fighting." There wasn't. ;)

And shooting an enemy in the Raiders way you mentioned above is not honourable or moral. The Jedi wouldn't do that.

Even killing Palpatine was not something Mace wanted to do - he felt he had too because the risk was too great, but he really wanted him alive. Obi-Wan only killed Grevious as a last resort.

The "internal logic" is not "broken", because it on several occasions the Jedi don't use their powers when it seems like the really should - Kenobi vs. Fett, Jedi vs. Bane - if it has happened before then there is a reason. We simply don't understand the "internal logic". ;)

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan did slam Grievous high up against the wall, early in the fight.

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, Edgar Allen Poe Dameron mentioned that already but we what we are discussing is why Kenobi (and other Jedi) don't just do that all the time.

In the case of the final fight with Grievous, I'm saying that Kenobi simply wasn't able to get a chance to use the Force on him and that there are times when the Jedi, for some reason, don't use the Force on an opponent when it would the best way to get the advantage.

13. Wamp ratz

Wamp ratz Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2015
    I've been playing Mortal Kombat-X quite a bit lately so I'd like to see the force used in a finishing move.

Perhaps a scene where a Jedi uses a force push to toss a Sith over a ledge. The Sith somehow hangs on to a small crevace down on the ledge's wall, gathers himself to force leap back up into battle. Smiles wickedly and force pulls the Jedi to him, in a Scorpion-Get over here-like move, right into a lightsaber impale or decapitation.

Yes, that would be spectactular.

14. Wamp ratz

Wamp ratz Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2015
    A more peaceful representation of the force could be a Jedi Master showing a youngling how to see the force in others. It could look like the way infravision can detect heat sources.

It probably wouldn't happen though, due to much being made about "feeling" the force as opposed to actually "seeing" it.

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

That is what The Force Unleashed is for. ;)

16. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Feb 7, 2015
    I suppose it's the "for some reason" I can't understand. Obviously there are plot points at work and a story that has to proceed to work and my nitpicking is simply as a fan who enjoys discussing and debating these little issues. :D

17. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Feb 7, 2015
    I also don't understand why Obi-Wan even jumped into that situation (literally) in the first place. I suppose it was as a distraction to buy time for the clones to arrive but again, with the force, couldn't Obi-wan have simply "force grabbed" Grevious from where he was and lifted him up to the platform he was on? He was taking quite the chance at not getting shot buy hundreds of battle droids and as we know from ROTS, powerful with the force or not, getting shot at from multiple troops will kill you.

18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    That is why we are here. ;)

Yes, was buying time for the Clones.

Force Grabbing Grievous and levitating him would have left the Jedi vulnerable to battle droids shooting at him from below.

So Obi-Wan jumped down in the middle of the battle droids knowing he goad the general into a one on one.

19. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    The one thing I want to see...is Leia using a Jedi Mind Trick on someone.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I'd like to see Leia take on a few stormtroopers using only Force Powers. :D

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd like to see someone actually *serve* the Force rather than merely treating it like a tool.

22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

"Serve" it how? Like a Renfield character? :) Or "serve" it for dinner?:p

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I mean like how the Jedi 'say' they do but never 'show'. The Force is a spiritual element but it has largely been ignored and maligned.

24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    How is it "ignored and maligned"?:confused:

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am open to a variety of Force abilities, but I would like them to be organic and work in tandem with the characters / situations and the battles.

For a Jedi or two, I wouldn't mind seeing some of Qui-Gon's selflessness and bond with the living Force explored. Less bound by their emotions and arrogance. Despite his mistake with Anakin, I think Qui-Gon was the most selfless and Force serving Jedi on the screen. He serves the living Force. Qui-Gon lived by that code and his bond with the Force seems almost unique to me.

So as much as love a great display of martial skill and sword fights, those quiet moments such as the meditation in the midst that last battle, spoke as much force power and ability to me as elements such as Force speed, jumps and pushing / calling forth.

Do not just throw us a bonkers Force powered fight scene because you've got the gentlemen of the Raid movies on board. I want some character moments which work in tandem with the Force powers.

All that said, if they incorporate Daegen Lok's nasty dark mind twists into the Sith / Dark sider usage, that would be pretty great too. To me that was the single most evil and awful application of the Force and it could be very, very potent on screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.