main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What franchise would you like to see novelised?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Excellence, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I wouldn't mind seeing LOTR expanded into a novelised series, I mean properly. Good action, female quality, political intrigue sans the biblical prose.

With the advent of Starcraft, Halo and Warcraft novels, I wouldn't mind a Zelda or Metroid book. Not the cheap budgeted trite that you see, or would expect to see, but a formal mature, serious inflected story.

What other suggestions do you have?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I guess I don't see the point. LOTR? Novelize a novel, and make it politically correct and kewl? Why not just watch PJ's movies?

And if they started Zelda or Metroid novel series, why do you think they would be of any different quality than any other video game based fiction?

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think most video games would work better as comics than as novels. The visual side of things would be difficult to reproduce in writing.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The Elder Scrolls

that would make for an interesting fantasy story.

5. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm glad this is being discussed, since this is something I've talked about amongst friends many times this year. My game-into-books list goes something like this:

1. A handful of "Castlevania" novels.
    2. Maybe a trilogy of "Zelda" books.
    3. One WHOPPING "Contra" novel.

6. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Metal Gear Solid

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Already been done. haven't you heard of the splinter cell novels:p [face_laugh]

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The stereotype for movie and game novelisations are to make them cheap and crap, true, Mas, but what I said was make them formal. Like any other mainstream series. Zelda is a fully realised fantasy land. Why not make a small series out of it, for eg.

And it need not be confined to what's seen in a game. These books are there to expand.

Like LOTR. Why stop at that last movie? Prequel and sequel some book to continue the adventure.

9. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    All the Final Fantasies I've played (which is like what, four :p ) And it'd be cool to see KotOR novelized but that wouldn't work since everyone has their own idea as to what "the main character" ought to look and act like.

10. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I could go for some Zelda novels. Done right, they could be pretty good.

As for LOTR? I don't see it happening.

The one franchise I'd really like to see expanded with novels (not just the kiddie books currently being released) would be Pirates of the Caribbean.

11. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Am i missing something, LOTR is a novel.

???

dkt

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    No way in hell for LOTR.

I'd say novels for Supernatural or Stargate would be interesting to read, if they were of a good quality.

There are some Stargate novels out there, but I've yet to find one, and from what I've read, they're not the greatest.

There's supposed to be some Firefly novels coming, but I'm a bit nervous about that.

13. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Ex means that he'd like to see the LOTR world opened up to some more authors and expanded with some more novels. Just like with Star Wars.

I do think it would be weird, however. I can't recall any book series opened up like this.

14. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    There's hardly a need. With all that Tolkien wrote anyway, and what Chris Tolkien has edited/reconstructed from his father's work, there is a pretty huge of LotR expanded literature out there, most of which few people have read. Why commission more when what's there goes (to a great extent) ignored?

-Paul

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Proper LOTR books. Realtime action and intrigue, with female equality too, in today's flavour, not that archaic prose. Showing the core movie characters plus newbies adventuring the problems of the kingdoms. I'm not refering to 10,000yr ago Feanor, whoever that is, or rhythimic pages of poetry---and to be clear on the matter, endless landscape description.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think it would be a huge disservice to Tolkien for new books to be published in his world. If he was alive and agreed to it, it would be one thing. But since he has passed on I think it's best to just leave Middle Earth be.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Proper? What on earth does that mean? Take books that are among the most popular and timeless ebver written, with an incredible worldwide appeal, and do what? Make them mor epolitically correct? Skimp on things like character development in favor of non-stop action?

18. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    on the subject of LOTR novelisations... markus heitz wrote a book called die zwerge ('the dwarves') and there is another two or so volumes about the orks, which i think count as expanded universe type writing.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Proper LOTR books. Realtime action and intrigue, with female equality too, in today's flavour, not that archaic prose.

While we?re at it, might as well ?update? Hemingway?s For Whom the Bell Tolls into a first-person shooter coming to a Playstation near you?

Seriously, the day Lord of the Rings is rewritten to include ?real-time action? is the day I lose all faith in the human race, never again to be regained. I can see it now:

Aragorn evaded the orc?s blow, following up with a strike from his +3 Elvish sword that sunk deep into the monster?s neck, instantly inflicting 33 hit points worth of damage.

?Good hit,? said Gimli, daughter of Gloin, who proved herself equal by felling another orc in the exact same manner.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    And then Lady Gandalf the White used magic missile...

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    yankee8255, remind yourself, the world includes non-Tolkien worshippers too. Habe verstanden? [face_worried]

What are they like, darth_frared?

22. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i wouldn't know. i don't touch stuff like that very often. i can ask my brother, he'll get the dwarves book for christmas :D
    from what i see the author seems to be a fan.

23. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    A novel in the Half Life Universe would be cool. I havn't read the Star Craft Novels yet but hope they are good.

dkt

24. Jedi_Drizzt

Jedi_Drizzt Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    Tales of the Jedi comics.

25. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Nay fair Excellence. Tolkien has a lyrical presence that is sans in today's world. I say your claim of people not being used to a proper read in your Denning worship to be a RVI. Maybe the old Oxford pipe flew over your head. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.