main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What game has been most disappointing?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Tod, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    What game you waited anxiously and when you have finally got it, it turned to be nothing you had expected?

For me perhaps biggest disappointment was Sierra's "Quest For Glory V". I had been huge fan of the series since 1990 and I expected a lot from the fifth part in 1998 (part four came in 1994). I was regular poster in QG-forum but I managed not to be spoiled about the game. And when I finally got the game I finished it in same day. So after four years of waiting I finish it in one day without any help. If you have played earlier Quest For Glories you know they were pretty difficult. Add crappy graphics and otherwise confusing gameplay mechanism and disappointment is ready.

This is just one example, there's plenty more of them. So what game has disappointed you most?

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Ever heard of Daikatana?

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Hahaha, yeah, SC. FoCom was pretty dissapointing as well.

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    John Romero should be hunted like the dog he is.

FoCom was only a mild case in my book, it satisfied me for a good 3 weeks in SP. But I shall not hear multiplayer mentioned in my presence.

5. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned. Loved the first two games, and was hugely disappointed with the third. Truly, a great example of how a 3D game should NOT be done.

6. Andureth

Andureth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    Diablo II

That was a piece of crap game that only got worse when their 'hack-proof' server was hacked by every 11 year old in the world.

Endureth

7. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Of all of the one I own, I'd have to say that FoCom delivers least based on on-the-box hype, although the Command Points system was good.

8. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Demolition - I should have listened before buying.

9. Cougar

Cougar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2000
    Diablo II? What's wrong with that game? Addictive gameplay, great replayability, etc... And it is pretty hack proof. Recently there have been some minor hacks that have been dealt with harshly by Blizzard, but it is by no means the cheat fest that the original Diablo was.

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Solo: FC MP is fine! :D

11. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    No it is not fine.

12. Count_Drew-ku

Count_Drew-ku Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Star Trek Elite force, a more lame ending, I have yet to see.

13. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Actually, MoHAA's ending was quite pathetic. Even more so than RTCW's. Ugh.

I loved Half Life's ending despite its simplicity.

14. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Contra has a good ending.

15. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Command and Conquer: Tiberium Sun. I was waiting ages for that game, and it turned out to be absolute crap. Bastards.

16. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    not recently, but when metal gear solid 2 game out... i was quite disappointed... i was all hyped up to play it, i loved mgs and vr missions, but mgs2 was missing something... i like the first hour or so though...

17. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Don't forget the most disappointing game of all time...Star Wars Obi Wan.

1. It was originally supposed to be released on the PC. That was changed well after its official press announcement. Many gamers were very saddened by that.
    2. Remember what the reasoning was for that change? Because only the "next generation" console could handle it. HA!! That game sucked hardcore when it was released. It might have worked on a PC with real MP capability (not that crappy 4 paddle stuff) included and all, but we will never know. Thank goodness for JO. It was the only thing that redeemed Lucasarts after that Obi Wan blunder.

18. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Oh, yes... Obi-Wan. It was a blessing in disguise though, because we got JKII out of it. Although it can be debated whether they were planning it already or if it was made as an apology of sorts to LEC's fans that were crushed by Obi-Wan's cancellation.

19. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Yeah I agree. It can be considered a blessing in disguise because of the announcement of JO.

Remember when that was announced? I almost wet myself. ;)

Also remember when you played JO for the first time? The first words that I typed were "THIS GAME IS A DREAM COME TRUE!!!"

I still hold that opinion.

20. skrutop

skrutop Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    State of Emergency.

Do you remember how hyped that game was? Every game fanboy and his parents knew about that game. (of course the parents only knew about it because of how violent it was). It was the biggest piece of trash EVER. The only good thing that came out of it was me getting credit to buy Jedi Outcast by selling it and Metal Gear Solid 2 back to EB.

Oh, yeah, number 2 - Metal Gear Solid 2. The game started out so promising. Then I got to the Big Shell part with Raiden. That was such a bunch of crap. And the ending? Ugh. The worst part is that I loved MGS on the PSX. I just was expecting something much, much better on the PS2. Oh well.

21. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Yes, easily State of Emergency.

Everyone thought that the people behind GTA3 made it, which wasn't true. Some other company made it.

Talk about trash. It was just senseless violence. At least in GTA3, there was a point behind the violence, I think...

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Shadows of the Empire......
    Thats was poor

23. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I can't give it to Shadows, simply because of the Hoth battle. Some of the rest was... well bizarre. But IG-88 finally made it into a game (and not as the Death Star, Kevin J Anderson, you hack). Then again, I was also just happy to have a Nintendo 64 at the time...

State of Emergency is a good choice. They did try to spin it like it was by the same people that made GTA3. But it's really a lot like, "Produced by the same people that did <whatever>" for a movie. That really just means they put up the money for it. It's directed by and written by that's the substance. State of Emergency was repetitive by about the third mission. Well, it was repetitive by the end of the first, but once you realize there's no variety in mission types, it's just plain worthless. I didn't make it far enough to unlock a single extra character. Also, I tend to think that once a guy opens up with an AK-47 in a mall, you're going to put down your TV, and run away. They run in GTA3...

But for me the value of "disappointment" has to do with how excited I was about something in the first place. While I loved GTA3, I knew that State of Emergency wouldn't be nearly as great, so my disappointment when it pegged the suckage meter wasn't that great. But I was excited about Force Commander. I went out and bought a 3D accelerator card, installed it and waited for the game to come out (delayed, naturally since it is Lucas Arts). Got the game home, tried to play it... it didn't recognize my card. And I had a pretty popular brand of accelerator card. I'm really against programming a game with such narrow standards that a lot of machines can't run it. I'm all for state of the art graphics and things, but you should program it so that all machines of equal performance can run it, not a limited few cards. So that was my biggest disappointment. For years I had said Star Wars needed a RTS, and it was out, and I couldn't play it.

24. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Lunar 2 was hugely disappointing, as was Hoshigami. Spirtual successor to FF Tactics my @$$.

25. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Metal Gear Solid 2. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd go rent one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.