main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What games would you like to see get the Star Wars treatment?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rev, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Given the recent flood of fantastic games in the past few months, the time seems appropriate to revive this former thread. I've got a few ideas as to what I'd like to see, but I'm even more eager to hear all of yours.

4) Batman: Arkham City
    For this I'm imagining a sandbox action game set on Nar Shaddaa or Coruscant or perhaps another iconic ecumenopolis with a seedy underworld. The protagonist would be Boba Fett, with tons of up-gradable gadgets for his Mandalorian Armor.

3) The Old Republic
    Yes, I'm aware that this is already a Star Wars game, but I'd like a future expansion pack to give it the Tales of the Jedi treatment, including new locations and gear taken from the comics, such as Koros, Onderon, or Ziost.

2) Infinity Blade
    This game is absolutely begging for lightsaber duels! My proposal would be to set in the Legacy era, with a player created character traversing to Dark Side cave on Dagobah and there confronting visions of all of the great Jedi and Sith saber-wielders from throughout the films and Expanded Universe who had at one time or another embraced the Dark Side, such as Tulak Hord, Exar Kun, Quinlan Vos, Galen Marek, and Cade Skywalker.

1) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Who wouldn't want to see Bethesda further perfect their craft in the Star Wars universe? To best apply their work in the fantasy genre to the Star Wars setting, I'd set this entirely on Tython during the Dawn of the Jedi era (perhaps as a complement to John Ostrander's upcoming series of the same name. Such would greatly open up game play, as the Je'daii of that era had access to a vast array of Force-techniques.

2. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    That adaption of Arkham City sounds like a great Bounty Hunter sequel.

A large scale RPG could fit a Jedi Academy theme pretty well.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Alpha Protocol: Imperial Intelligence.

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2: Stormtrooper Edition.

Mirror's Edge: Coruscant.

Just Cause 2: Rebellion.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Fall of the Republic.

4. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Could you elaborate on your idea for a Deus Ex-style game set in this time period. I'm a huge fan of Human Revolution, but didn't necessarily have an idea as to how to utilize its particular gameplay in a Star Wars game.

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    They basically already wrote the book of it. Overlapping insidious conspiracies, the end of an era, corporations seeking galactic domination. Thematically, it fits unusually well, and we already know Deus Ex-style augmentations exist in Star Wars. Visually, the prequels easily match the futuristic look, and just about any of the locations in HR could pass for part of Coruscant. It'd be harder, I think, to find parts of the game that wouldn't be easy to work in.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3. Turn it into Battlefront III!!!

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Fixed given that Battlefield was the inspiration for BF. :p

8. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    I'd actually prefer the next Star Wars first person shooter to draw more from Call of Duty than from Battlefield, and I am not saying that as a fan boy of either series. I had actually pre-ordered Battlefield 3 originally and was not planning on getting Modern Warfare 3 at all. Then I played the open beta and found myself uncertain as to the quality of the final product. I decided to rent them both and see which I liked better. Unfortunately, not having purchased the game, EA locked me out of multiplayer for Battlefield 3, and I was not about to pay ten dollars for an online pass to play for only one week.

Then I rented Modern Warfare 3 and was immediately engrossed by it. It quickly became the first Call of Duty I ever bought (the only other shooters I own are Bioshock 1 and 2). The real difference I've found between the Battlefield series and the Call of Duty series is that the former is more co-operative and tactical, whereas the latter better fits my solo, run-and-gun, spray-and-pray style of play. That's not to say that I don't understand that Battlefield games would appeal to some individuals; it;s just not for me.

9. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Lego Star Wars 4! the apology for LSW3. Game play follows actual story telling, so that plot lines progress instead of being a one-screen level. Or they could just fix 3.

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    While Battlefield is the closer of the two to Battlefront's style, I don't like Battlefield because it restricts my ability to lone wolf. Modern Warfare 3 on the other hand directly rewards players like me, so I'd rather Battlefront III was based off CoD. Plus CoD has the (imo) superior controls and super silky smooth 60FPS.

How dare you, Lego Star Wars 3 was amazing.

11. Samuel

Samuel Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    I would love to see a Ghost Recon or Rainbow 6 Star Wars game, or Splinter Cell. Stormtrooper or Storm Commando tactical game. how awsome would that be.

And of course Battlefield 3, I love how pretty much everything can be blown up. Need a hole in a wall, no problem. I don't know how the new Call of Duty plays, putting off getting it for a while wasn't too impressed with the trailers for it. It looked like just more of the same, I've bought them all since #1 came out. Although I gotta say a Star wars COD zombie mode would be pretty cool.

HAWKS, if only because gamers today can't handle a complicated sim based game like the old school X-Wing series, If not Hawks then Ace Combat. Either one would work pretty good for a mass market sorta game to appeal to lots of different gamers. Just no more Rogue Squadron games, those were way too arcadey and dumbed down. Although at this point I don't care what it is like. We just need a new TIE Fighter game, and an X-Wing game too. After all they never did finish the story in X-Wing Alliance.

Fallout 3/New Vegas, the Brotherhood of Steel is pretty much basicly wearing Dark Trooper armor...T-45 armor and a gattling laser, tell me that isn't like the Dark Trooper with an e-web in Empire at War.

Mass Effect, who didn't make thier armor entirely white and squint thier eyes real hard and pretend for a moment it was a Stormtrooper!

Madden Football, cause dang it we need a nuna ball game.

Sins of a Solar Empire, sure there is a pretty good Star Wars mod. but it would be nice to have a real star wars game like that. Just if it had plantary invasions, but hey atleast you can do an amazeing Base Delta Zero bombardment. A little bit of Rebellion, a litte bit of Empire at War, a little bit of Force Commander and lots of win.

After thinking about it, I'm gonna say Call of Duty, but only if it's a new Kyle Katarn game. CoD would be perfect for a Kyle Katarn game. (Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Outcast/Academy) Would be perfect to show Kyle when he joined the Empire, was a Stormtrooper and eventually became a Merc.

And lastly, Company of Heros for a ground combat based RTS. That is one game I can truely say I got my money's worth out of. Not just from the storyline but from multiplayer. I hate to think how many hours I've spent playing it.

12. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I always thought an Arkham-style SW game would be cool, though the problem is who it would focus on...

13. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    A new character, presumably. It'd be surprisingly easy to recreate Batman with Star Wars technology - basically all of the necessary equipment already exists, or has been improved upon.

Uncharted: Ancient Aliens Ruins.

Ace Combat 6: Starfighters of Liberation.

Freelancer: Galaxy.

Star Wars: Total War.

14. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Building on this idea...

Uncharted/Tomb Raider
    Corellia Antilles (programmed with the ample bosom, slender waist, full lips, and lusty eyes of old school Lara Croft) excavates the Twenty Wonders of the Galaxy.

15. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Prince of Persia series/Metal Gear Solid

Not in the literal sense, but in the sense that these series are both examples of games where almost in each game, the entire sequence of events revolves around one scenario.

The entire plot of each POP game, in the game's story, takes place in only a few hours (just one hour in the old games). In both The Two Thrones and The Forgotten Sands, the game opens during military sieges where your city is under attack, and the game flows on from there with the siege and its immediate aftermath as the backdrop. You see the catapulted rocks flying in the background and they hit things around you. In this way, the game only revolves around that one siege and the few hours it and the following events take.

In the first Metal Gear Solid, the whole game revolves around you infiltrating Shadow Moses Island and in the end, destroying Metal Gear. It's actually very compact in scope.

Combining the military siege setting of the mentioned newer POP games and the narrow scope of MGS1 and the classic POP games, you can cheat your way to having grand set pieces and battles going on on a large scale, by having them in the background while your own role in those events is on a much smaller scale. You can be involved in a sabotage mission running parallel to the war theatre going on around you, for example; going behind enemy lines to shut down some uber weapon from the inside or assassinating the enemy command. It can even be an elaborate intelligence gathering mission. The possibilities are endless.

This way, you get to have the epic grandeur of a siege scenario in a Star Wars setting going on around you, while your part of it doesn't need to be the ridiculously over the top The Force Unleashed-type of deal. You can have your more traditional run and gun, brawler or stealth action gameplay, while you still have your large set pieces and grandiose feeling of it all going on around you.

My first thought was to set it during one of the countless battles of the Clone Wars, but any time period works, really. What type of gameplay you focus on, who your main characters are and what abilities they have, I leave to you to elaborate on. I've always wanted a game where you're Force sensitive but it's more low key and focuses on stealth. But you can also have a more traditional FPS type of gameplay, having you be a commando of some sort, be part of a squad, make the gameplay more tactical... I think there are lots of things you can do with it.

16. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Renegade Ops
    This would be a twin stick shooter in which iconic ships and vehicles from the saga bring massive destruction to classic battles such as Geonosis, Hoth, and Yavin.

17. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    I don't regard War of the Worlds as a particularly good movie, but there's one thing Spielberg does with it, that I'm a fan of. In contrast to most other disaster movies (Independence Day, 2012, The Day After Tomorrow etc) where sweeping panoramic shots from scenes all over the world give the viewer an all-knowing view of the global event that is taking place, Spielberg decided with War of the Worlds to let the narrative only follow Tom Cruise's character. In other movies of the same kind, typically multiple unrelated characters experience the events from different vantage points and meet each other in the end, and often one of those characters knows something about what is happening, because he's an intelligence agent or someone high up in the military or the administration, or even the President, and through those characters the audience is informed about what is going on. Sometimes, the narrative even reveals to the audience more than any of the characters know.

War of the Worlds instead focuses on one average Joe, who is just one of many average Joes who has no idea what is going on, and has had his life turned upside down by the alien invasion that is going on around him. The viewer doesn't know any more than he does. There are no scenes cutting away to a briefing meeting in the Pentagon, for example. The audience is just as much in the dark about what's going on as the main character is. Even when the main character's son separates from him, the narrative doesn't follow the son to let the audience know what happened to him. It takes a huge worldwide event, and shows it from the confused chaotic perspective of an average family man in the street.

I like that idea. I would like a Star Wars game that uses this concept with a big event. It doesn't have to be a family man, mind you, but I like the concept of having something huge and almost cataclysmic happening around the main character, and I, as the player, being just as dumbfounded and mystified by it as the main character is.

18. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    yakuza/shenmu gameplay.play as a minor guy in the underworld. not every character has to be involved with darth vader. (my favorite game ever)

and also battlefront 3 should not be like modern warfare because mw3 is a first person shooter and bf2 is a third person shooter. don't give me that crud you can change the viewpoint to 1st person, it was clearly designed to be third person.

i know this is kinda cliched but an open world game like gta with a new original character (no jedi)

19. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Mass Effect 2: exact same style could work here, for a Star Wars RPG. It would be brilliant. Or maybe for Jedi Knight IV?

Half-Life 2: Dark Times FPS

Assassin's Creed: playing as a Jedi with locations like Naboo.

Arkham City: with Boba Fett?

Call of Duty: Battlefront III

Uncharted: with Han Solo

20. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    anyone ever though they should do sports game set in the star wars universe?

star wars lightsaber duels video game. kinda like episode 3/force unleashed/clone wars lsd only actually good this time. focus on multiplayer and have a ton of characters to choose from

21. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    The lightsaber duel mode in the Episode III tie-in game actually wasn't bad. It was fun, and nicely done, IMO.

But maybe they should do a deeper fencing game that focuses strictly on saber control and has one hit KOs.

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Very recently, Bethesda was approached about developing an RPG set in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice/Game of Thrones universe, but turned it down, preferring instead to concentrate exclusively on their own original IPs.

When I heard about this, I was all like, [image=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/nisus8/f90802aa_whoa.gif] [image=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/nisus8/fatass.gif]

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Good. I don't want overpowered freaks wandering around in ASoIAF or a main plot that's secondary to stealing everything in King's Landing and wandering the North for years at a time.

24. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Fictional universes established initially in books, such as A Song of Fire and Ice or Tolkien's Middle-Earth, ought not to be adapted as game settings due to two factors: the linear nature of the native medium, and the intellectual properties being the brainchild of a singular author with a concrete vision. I'm glad to hear that Bethesda turned down such an offer.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe, however, has no native medium, being equally rooted in television, novels, comics, and games, nor does it have a single individual responsible for having produced all of its original content (Lucas has had little interaction with the universe beyond the films themselves, and sadly John Ostrander has yet to be given complete creative controller over the intellectual property of Star Wars, as he ought to be).

25. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    They have some podrace games.