main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What goes in a computer?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Cri-Slow-Pez, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cri-Slow-Pez

Cri-Slow-Pez Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2002
    Thank you very much for all the replys! If there are is any more information out there, please by all means, post it.

Ptx- My first movie isn't going to be 2 hours. And I have made plenty of movies before with my friend (a senior in highschool) Carlos. He has a lot of equipment (Canon XL1:S, Apple Computer, etc) because his dad makes documentaries or something of the sort. I have made some shorts with him and helped him write scripts and such. I on my own have written 2 feature legnth scripts (non-star wars :D) and written many short movies. I have made around 20 shorts (1-10 minutes long). Some were made on my web cam (i am embaressed, yes) and some with some crappy camera my parents own. I'm getting my GL-1 in a bit so I can finally film stuff that's more than 10 feet away from my computer and actualy look good (my webcam can only go so far :D). Yes, I do know how much work it takes to set up a movie also... but thanks for your concern. :D

2. willabbott

willabbott Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    I personnaly dont think you will have to go HUGE on hard drives, I found a great deal at my distributor the other day 120GIG 7200rpm 8MB cache drives, and thought, hmm what if I get 2 of them put them on RAID 0 and let that rip (240GIGs total) I then did the math on how much video it would hold (captured) and it was a little over 18hours of video... I have no need for that much room... granted different captures do different things, but with my setup I get FULL screen full quality that would fit over 18hours on that much space, not worth my money, so I will probably get a 40gig or 80 gig instead. I'm currently using a 13gig (only drive I could spare right now) and it holds approx. 40mins when I have it completely free, it currently has about 15mins of space left, and more than 20 mins of video on it, as well as MP3's and other data that needs to come off..

anyways, try and find out what kind of space your capture card will need before you decide on a hard drive for the capture, in my case I dont need all that much 120 or 240 gigs would be massive overkill (I could store 10 2hr movies on it)...

Just my 2cents. Take it or leave it... Just dont eat it :)

3. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    You people make my computer sick. Gigahertz. Thunderbird. FEH!!!!

Here's what I use for my video:

• Dual Athlon MP 1800+ (2x 1.533 GHz Palomino core)

• Asus A7M266-D mainboard

• 1 GB Crucial PC2100 DDR

• 2x Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM hard disks in RAID 0

• Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

• Dazzle DVD Creation Station DC200

• NEC CD-RW drive

• Pioneer DVD drive

• GeForce 3 Classic

• VCR and camcorder

• As for software, I use Photoshop, Premiere, and Cinema 4DXL R7

Wham!

Oh, and ask this again at www.extremetech.com's message boards.

4. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    I would say you need probably 80 - 120 gig. A good rule of thumb is 1 minutes of uncompressed video is 1gig. That being said, let us praise the miniDV. You can edit part of your film, then you can export it to miniDV. Or you can get a DVD RW and also cut portions to DVD. Just a thought.

5. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Krapitino.. u do realize the athlon XP1800+ and the athlon MP1800+ are the same processor right? part for part they are identical :p EXCEPT one registers as mp1800+ and the other xp1800+ .. interesting how that works ;)... anyway u could have saved ur money and gotten two xp2000+'s for the same cost as ur 2 1800 mp's :p

btw how much did u pay for the whole system? better be no more than $2000 ;)

Karr and i are looking into buying a dual proc system.. and i priced one at about $3000.. had 400 gigs in raid 0 and 20 gig on the side for os and programs, 2 gigs of ram two xp2100's, the tayan MPX mobo, a 21" sony monitor (max res 2048x1536 at 85Hz), the Parhelia from Matrox (a tripple display semi proffesional video card with 256 ram), and a heavily modded case (built off an antec case :)), an Audigy for sound and the firewire.. and a cdrw .. not bad for 3000 i thought :p

6. poorturtle

poorturtle Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    despite what you are hearing - get as much hard drive space as you can.

i recently had a project for work, in which i had to replace a drive because i did not have enough space. being stuck in that situation really sucks.

go more than 80gb. why? it may be enough to handle all your raw footage, and even your edited piece, but once you start color correcting, adding graphics, and making alternate edit lines, you'll find that the render files take up a lot of extra space.

i'd get a 40gb for your system and at least a 100 gb for your video, but preferably 120+. if you can add more drives, great, do that.

drives are cheap, compared to the headaches you may encounter.

and defenitely go larger than 20 for your system drive. that way you can keep all your non-working material there, ie music, pictures, documents. leave your other drive for strictly video.

other advice? buy a mac.

7. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Working with video, you can NEVER have enough hard drive space or RAM. Never ever. Whatever you are doing will expand to fill the space, I promise you.

So get the biggest HD you can (7200 RPM), fastest processor, most RAM. You'll thank us all in the end.

M. Scott

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Wow, I know a (now graduated) senior in high school named Carlos.. he was in TV Production too..

"Are you from Iowa, do you know Bob?!" :p

9. chief_master_sir

chief_master_sir Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2002
    What is your take on DDRram vs. RDram. why do u guys prefer DDRram over RDram? isnt RDram faster?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.