main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ohio What got you hooked?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediObi, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediObi

JediObi Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2001
    Okay, I just HAD to ask this one too... so sue me. LOL. When did everyone get hooked on Star Wars? Was it a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away with the Original Trilogy? The Special Editions? Episode I? Or somewhere in between?

I personally got hooked when my parents took me to see Return of the Jedi; I probably wasn't even four years old... and yet Star Wars dominated much of my childhood. I sort of went on hiatus until junior high, and then I was back into it more fiercely than ever... pulled out all the old toys, and Zahn had just written "Hier to the Empire..." Soon thereafter I was writing fanfic myself, etc. :)

Anyone else up for storytime? ;)

2. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    I saw ESB when I was a kid and it totally terrified me--Han being tortured and then put into carbonite, Luke getting his hand cut off. :eek:

I finally saw the whole trilogy in the theater in '97 when the SE came out and loved it. I didn't truly become a fan until around the time TPM came out, though. I thought to myself, "I wonder if anyone's ever written a novelization of the SW movies?"

I just about had a heart attack when I realized how many books were out there by then. That's how I really fell in love with SW, I guess 'cause I've always been a reader. I have been totally hooked ever since, esp. since discovering these boards and particularly the fanfiction board.

So I didn't reach fandom until I was what, 18? Sigh. So many wasted years. :p

Ironically enough, ESB is now my favorite of the films. :)

3. JediObi

JediObi Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2001
    Hello Princess! Don't believe we've met. :)

Wow, that was a good story... and ironic. I guess I am quite lucky to have been bitten by the bug early on! It was quite funny in high school when the Special Editions came out, suddenly everyone was asking me everything that had to do with Star Wars. ;)

The novels really are great... which are your favorites? I am almost done reading "Rebirth" right now.

And fanfic rules, as well! Are you a Qui-Gon fan? Try www.qui-gonline.org, it has a load of good fic! :)

4. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    My faves are the X-wing novels, the HST, the Hand of Thrawn duology, and Conquest and Rebirth in the NJO.

As far as fanfic goes, I'll read stories from any era if they catch my interest. I do like Qui-Gon, although he's not my all-time favorite character, and I'll check out www.qui-gonline.org when I get the chance. I think I've heard ppl mention it before over on the ff board. :)

5. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    The first I can remember of Star Wars was going to watch Return of the Jedi when I was 7. I had my Luke Skywalker action figure (the one in all black) and really loved the movie. But I didn't really get into Star Wars until the special editions came out. At that time, I was old enough to appreciate the movies more and I had access to the net which I discovered was a great source of information for Star Wars nuts.

Around the same time, I met my current wife. I was lucky that her brother was a huge Star Wars fan and had all of the novels. Once I got into reading the EU stuff, I was totally hooked on Star Wars.

6. JediFrankenstein

JediFrankenstein Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2001
    I was hooked in January of 1977. I went to see 'Silver Streak' and I was treated to the preview trailer for Star Wars. That was the first I had heard of it, seen it. I was floored. "Coming this Summer to a Galaxy near you"... It blew me away.

Looking back I can now try to put words to what I was feeling. I always liked science fiction (instilled in me by my father) and discovered Star Trek in 1970 and other TV SF, but the movies were sadly lacking. I had seen 'Logan's Run' not long before and I liked it but it wasn't quite what I was...looking for? Thats how I think it should be put: I was looking for something. Never would have expressed it like that at that time but its somehow fitting now. Anyways, I was 12 years old the month SW came out (although because of a family trip I didnt see it until Aug.1st, 1977) and that was the perfect age.

It blew me away and still does today.

JF

7. JediObi

JediObi Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2001
    I must say again, wow. Tobey-Wan, some of my first vivid childhood memories were playing with Star Wars toys - especially the ROTJ Luke one you described. :)

JediFrankenstein, I feel the same as you! For a short time during my childhood, Star Wars took a back burner, but the galaxy was still there, waiting for me, when I started *searching.* I should find an essay I wrote for Blue Harvest (the zine, not the website) that details the impact of Star Wars in my life... it's pretty cool. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.