main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What had you expected?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Don't forget the Nightcloak or whatever from COPL. I'm quite honestly surprised that more people don't include that book in their list of superweapons-of-the-week, especially since it's one of the worst overall in the EU.

I did think the Pulsar Station was a surprisingly plausible extrapolation of the Death Star concept (honestly, so was the Darksaber, actually).

2. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    What's The Unit? Could someone link the wookipedia page?

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The self-given nickname for the young Jedi group that included Corran Horn's kids and the giant who befriended Allana, and was afflicted with Abeloth's Force madness.

Thuro likes this.
  4. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Oh...those guys :rolleyes:. Might have been a cool idea to mess with. In execution I was just like really? Everyone in the galaxy's been replaced? Or maybe you're sick and need to take a chill pill.

On topic I expected that scout guy to become some sort of Jedi ally or something. Not die in the back of a cave.

5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Legacy of the Force. When I started reading Betrayal, I thought it would be, for once, an actual "heroes on both sides" major conflict. Sort of the Clone Wars in reverse: instead of a conflict between two evils that're controlled by the Sith, a conflict between two "goods" that, while they each had their scumbags trying to stir things up (Thrackan, Lumiya), basically just had an honest disagreement about how the galaxy should be run.

By the end of the book, it was already pretty clear that wasn't going to happen, but I still held out a sliver of hope until I read on. I still think it would've been a vastly more interesting story that way.

Starfighters of Adumar. It's the first book I ever read from Aaron Allston. Let's just say I was not expecting it to be that ****ing funny.

Kylun, Gorefiend, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Plagueis I actually thought there would be a scene where he was off to bed after thinking he had everything going for him and Palaptine would tip toe in and hit him with lightning blasts as he was off to nighty night time.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ignoring all the obvious letdowns that LOTF had, the biggest one for me in Invincible was that I had an entire scene played out in my mind as I was reading it, having expected Jacen to realise that the nanovirus to kill the Hapan Royal Family would kill Allana as well, and him down his lightsaber-- willingly or reluctantly-- and rush to the Imperial flagship with Jaina, where he would end up taking the nanovirus into himself to save Allana-- but sacrificing himself in the process, and remembering in his own last moments that Vergere had done the same to him, and that whatever "titles" she had or hadn't wrapped herself in were meaningless, with Jacen regretting how he had been deceived by Lumiya into thinking being a Sith or not changed who Vergere was.

We subsequently saw similar Jedi-Sith reluctant-teamwork in FOTJ, which might explain why I kept feeling these "signals" during Invincible... but alas, it was not to be.

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    When I read Black Fleet I was a dumb kid and thought Luke really would find his mom.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I wouldn't go as far as to call the nightcloak a superweapon. It's more like extreme sun block and slow death than a superweapon.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I thought both Han and Boba died at the end of Last Man Standing. Silly me.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    When the preview for the first issue of Into the Unknown came out and showed the Jedi Purge on Toola, I was expecting that it was going to tie into the escaped Jedi archivist there from Courtship of Princess Leia. I still like the idea that that figure might be Jin-Lo Rayce, since it now can't be Jocasta Nu.

I actually thought both of these things. When Betrayal came out I was convinced that Jacen would become Krayt (which I still feel would have been a better outcome for both characters, assuming that Jacen still had to turn dark) and when that was clearly impossible, up until Revelation I was convinced that Jacen would still escape at the end of LOTF and become more than a single-note villain.

12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I was convinced that Jefferson Starship were going to play "With Your Love" in The Star Wars Holiday Special. Blew my mind when they did "Light the Sky on Fire" instead. Really changed the whole dynamic of the rest of the special.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Legacy of the Force

I expected it to be the origin story of Darth Caedus, not his beginning, middle and end. While I wasn't a fan of the decision to turn Jacen dark (at least after I became familiar with his NJO characterisation -- I first got into the EU "properly" when LotF had just been announced (some time after I finished KotOR 2) and, at the time, my only reaction was "a new Skywalker-blooded Sith?! Cool!") I had at least hoped to get an awesome supervillain out of the bargain.

Legacy

I hoped for Gunner to eventually be revealed as Kol Skywalker's daughter, and to become the "new hope" against the One Sith after Cade was killed off/went full dark side. Because screw Cade.

[​IMG]

[face_devil]

14. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I thought that by the time Order 66 came down that Etain would still be a Jedi proper and that Niner, Fi, and Atin would really believe that she was part of an order that had become an enemy of the State. Depending on the timing of the reveal of their child, Darman would either be hurt by a feeling of betrayal and able to believe she was a traitor (and thus have to sorrowfully eliminate her) or come to her defense (and have to stand against his brothers). Bardan would not be seen as the enemy - having previously renounced the Jedi. He WOULD believe that the order going down a path he didn't agree with could have lead to them becoming so corrupt as to betray the Republic. He goes on to become an Inquisitor.

What we got instead was an Order 66 that was happening in the background while the main characters did other stuff and Etain dies because she either believes that the life of a clone is inherently MORE valuable (equally valuable doesn't explain her actions) than the life of a Jedi youngling or she believes that a frightened child trying to defend himself from a group of trained supersoldiers is an inherently immoral act that deserves to be punished by death.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    KotOR (games, comics and campaign guide)

I expected Trask Ulgo to be retconned into an undercover Jedi Knight who was serving as Revan's caretaker, there to reinforce the new personality they'd imprinted on his mind and watch for signs of the true Revan bubbling back to the surface. He shows an astonishing amount of patience for how ignorant Revan is at the immediate onset of the game, appears to sense Darth Bandon "there's something behind here", is willing to sacrifice his life to get Revan to Bastila, and shows no hesitation in engaging a Sith Lord in personal combat.

RIP Trask Ulgo, a real Jedi hero. @};-

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    FH trilogy and DNT. Anakin Solo somehow survived SBS.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I thought the mysterious bounty hunter in Legacy 2.0 would be Ania's twin sister, thus leading into an explanation of her history (which we still haven't really gotten).

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Who can forget his heroic speech?

Words to live by.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Indeed. A true philosopher capable of piercing the veil of physical reality to see the true, luminous realm beyond.

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I thought Wurth Skidder was still alive.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Fate of the Jedi

I expected/hoped, following the backlash against LotF (maybe I'm overstating it -- Lit is a just a vocal minority, I suppose) and given the title "Fate of the Jedi" that we were going to learn that Jacen never actually returned from his sojourn and was in fact imprisoned by Abeloth in some kind of weird Force lotus-eater machine. Caedus would be explained as a physical manifestation/avatar of Jacen's darker (and stupider) side, ala the Valeyard from Doctor Who.

It would have also made Allana more interesting.

22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    How naive we were to think that.

I thought Abeloth in FOTJ was going to tie into SWTOR with history repeating with Jedi - Sith alliances. Because I thought there was continuity.

Same deal with JINO = Krayt.

But there wasn't continuity. There wasn't continuity at all.

CT-867-5309 and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh.

It would have also have been fun to confront Real!Jacen with all the Vergere=Sith stuff.

"Caedus said Vergere was Sith, teaching you to become the next great Dark Lord! OMgz."
    "Jedi or Sith, Vergere was Vergere. And I know what I learned."

Mia Mesharad, Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I expected less jedi ****ing when it came to classes and prestige classes in the WotC books
    I also expected that the Force adept class would not just be a light version of the jedi class.

25. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I give it a pass because it's based on a real mental illness.

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.