main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happend to Qui-Gon's lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by padawanskywalker, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    When Obi-Wan killed Maul what did he do with the lightsaber?Did he burn it with Qui-Gon,Keep it somewhere secret,or give it to Anakin?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    It's quite possible that Obi-Wan kept it, but refused to actually use it. He could have kept it in his room.

Knowing that Jedi are far from materialistic, however, he most probably put the lightsaber on Qui Gon's belt hook as he was being ceremoniously immolated.

Let's look at Luke Skywalker in the ROTJ radio drama. R2 suggests that Luke should take Yoda's things out of his house, but Luke states, "No R2, everything belongs here." Even Luke, with very little "cultural" training, understood that Jedi and materialism did not mix.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree with CieSharp on this issue. [face_plain]

4. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm fairly sure Obi-Wan would have kept it.

5. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I wish he would have used it.

6. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    i think Obi-wan probably kept it as a memory somewhere. he didn't wanna use it but instructed a new one for himself. but i read a part of the novel saying that he did keep it. :)

7. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Obi-Wan kept it for a short while and gave it Anakin as a trainig tool.

8. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    where does that come from?

lets see some sources here...

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    He kept it but never used it.

10. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    In the TPM novel it said Qui-Gon's lightsaber belonged to Obi-Wan. So, it appears that he kept it and used it for a while before constructing a new one.

11. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Thats what I'm talking about. It'd be a shame if he lost it. It should go in the Jedi Library. After all, they do have a statue of Dooku.

12. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    It would be cool to see Obi Wan use it in the duel with Anakin, especially as we all know a Jedi with a blue lightsaber never wins. That could mean Obi Wan will be using a different color in Episode III.
    But I still think he burned it with Qui Gon. That would be the right thing to do.

13. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    It would be cool to see Obi Wan use it in the duel with Anakin, especially as we all know a Jedi with a blue lightsaber never wins.

Well I dunno; Qui Gon had his green lightsaber, and he got sliced up good. Obi-Wan had that same saber and kicked ass. Then again, I can't think of one canon match where someone with a blue lightsaber won. ;)

That could mean Obi Wan will be using a different color in Episode III.

If he didn't use Qui Gon's saber in Episode II, I doubt he'd use it in Episode III.

But I still think he burned it with Qui Gon. That would be the right thing to do.

That's what I thought, too. Check out page 315 of the Phantom Menace novelization by Terry Brooks:

"He (Obi-Wan) paced the room, dressed in fresh clothing for the funeral, soft, loose-fitting, sand-colored Jedi Knight garb, Qui Gon's lightsaber, now his own, hanging from his belt."

Return of the Jedi Radio Drama, Episode 3: Patterns and Prophecies

R2D2 beeping.

LUKE: No, leave all of Yoda's things here. They belong here.

Why two different attitudes? Either it's a continuity error on Terry Brooks' part, or perhaps the Jedi regard a lightsaber in a different light than other material things. After all, why did Obi-Wan keep Luke's saber for him? He could have built one just as Luke did right before RotJ (or during the radio drama).

14. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    As many have already said, I agree that he might have kept it, but ever really used it. Although, he never truely makes reference to such things, perhaps this is to be left into speculation :) .

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    It seems to me that Qui-Gon's lightsaber would become an "iconic" thing since he was the greatest swordsmen in the galaxy at his time. I would imagine Obi-Wan took ownership over the lightsaber and placed it in the Jedi archives.

16. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    I think its tucked away in a chest in old Ben's adobe house on Tatooine.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  17. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    i think itd be sweet if he used it in ep3 agianst Anakin to continue the motif of blue light sabers always losing but then agian we dont know enough to say anakin wont use a red saber in that fight

18. SilentSith

SilentSith Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    Well, I have a suggestion of what could have happened, but it's not very thorough, because I can't remember it or all the details.

Anyway, somewhere I read something along the lines that Obi-Wan kept it and had it in his house on Tatooine. When Luke returned to Tatooine between ESB and ROTJ (did Luke even return? I'm better at the PT and JA than OT), he found the lightsaber (I think it was broken or in several pieces), and with the pieces/crystals he built the lightsaber that he has in ROTJ.

I can't remember where I saw that. I'll have to look around some more.

Not to change the topic, but talking about lightsabers and where they went, what happened to Obi-Wan's in ANH? Did Vader keep it or something??

Also, I don't think that Obi-Wan would use Qui-Gon's lightsaber in EPIII, because it's not built for his hands. Qui's hands are (were) larger than Obi's, so Qui-Gon would have built his to fit his grip, not Obi-Wan's. The only reason Obi was able to use it in TPM, was because it was only one time and one swipe, so it didn't take too much.

Anyway, hope some of this helps.

(<SilentSith

19. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I think you're referring to Shadows of the Empire, when Luke returns to Tatooine and continues his training at Obi-wan's hut. He finds an old leather-bound book and uses it as a manual to build his own lightsaber. That was a few years before the PT. It was a couple before the Special Editions, I think.

20. SilentSith

SilentSith Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    I have no idea. I was scanning the net and stumbled over it. I can't remember if it was starwars.com or theforce.net. Oh well, I haven't read any OT books (I like the PT better), so thus my uncertainty on this subject...that's why I like to write fanfiction, you can make up whatever you want. ;)

(<SilentSith

21. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I think he kept it out of respect, but refused to use it.

22. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    I made a comment long ago, that Qui-Gon's saber was the raw material for Luke's ROTJ saber.

Actually, that would be the only intentionally cool TPM/ROTJ irony was that Luke beat Vader with Qui-Gon's saber crystal.

Probably, Obi-Wan kept it for himself and when the Jedi Temple was destroyed and Obi-Wan fled to Tatooine, Qui-Gon's saber was destroyed.

23. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    It would be great if Luke's saber is actually Qui Gon's (or at least part of it). But we will of course never know. But we can and will speculate.

24. President-JarJar

President-JarJar Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    Obi-Wan farted on it and then he threw it away into a filthy swamp on Tatooine. ;)

-President-JarJar

25. Alrowen

Alrowen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2003
    "I think he would have kept it.
    If you read some of the Jedi Apprentice series,you could understand their relationship as master-padawan.That would be neat though if he used it in Episode 3 against Obi-Wan.May the Force be with you!"
    Alrowen Falckon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.