main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What happened "over 2000 years" before "Overlords"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darklordoftech, Aug 18, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The narration in the beginning of "Overlords" says that Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka are responding to a signal that hasn't been used in "over 2000 years". What happened when it was used all that time ago?

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Does this topic really warrant its own thread?

The reason I ask is because there's practically nothing significant from the EU that we know takes place in this period, 2000 BBY. Just take a look at the timeline...nothing much between 2975 BBY and 1032 BBY... Gotta fill in the blanks yourself, I suppose. Not much to go on other than it was an ancient Jedi distress signal of some sort. Perhaps you are implying someone else may have been lured to Mortis during this time? [face_dunno]

So in short, my four-word answer: I have no idea.

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The short answer is nobody knows. And, no, Logic: it does not.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When the EU doesn't provide answers, I speculate, but that's just me.
    Definitely a possibility. Perhaps this is when Father went to Mortis?

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Good question. The whole Mortis arc makes you wonder if it really happened. Were the Ones real people, or were they the manifestations of the Force to warn the three Jedi about their destinies?

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    It could be that Father used to be a Jedi. He says that at one time he existed in the temporal world, but withdrew from it because of the power his children had. He could have been a Jedi that turned to a different ideology when he was unwilling to kill his Son.

Or perhaps the three already were on Mortis by 2,000 years prior to TCW and some other Jedi stumbled onto the planet. Father says that few still knew of their existence, which means that at one time more people knew about them. Perhaps a Jedi went there.

The original idea was for Revan and Bane to have corrupted Son. Which makes me think that they are not merely manifestations of the Force. That scene was cut and is not canon. But with Father also implying that he withdrew from the temporal world, I do not believe that they are Force manifestations.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I do remember reading something suggesting Darth Ruin met the three (and we all know what happened with Darth Ruin in 2000 BBY).
    Just because they gave Son some advice doesn't mean they corrupted Son. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were updating Son on what was going on outside Mortis.

Darkslayer and cwustudent like this.
  10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Filoni said that Lucas requested two ancient Sith that could be used as "uber evil influence, guiding the son."

I take that to mean more than merely giving advice to an already corrupted being. Especially if they are meant to be the "uber" influence. Son was already some overpowered - relative to the other characters - evil being established two episodes earlier. And if I remember correctly, the Father criticizes him at one point for being fully corrupted by the Dark Side. I felt like it was implied that these Sith spirits were going to be the driving Force behind the Son's corruption and wanting to tip the Force out of balance.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The Ones are real beings, they are not just the Force anthropomorphized. They were formerly Celestials, and like all the Celestials, sublimed into the Force aeons ago. But these three for whatever reason chose to re-assume physical form and come out to re-enter and interact with the physical universe.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The last time the signal was used 2,000 years ago was to let everyone know that in about 2,000 years there would be the birth of...

TRIOCULUS!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The one thing I did like is their appearances. Their heights especially. They were at least eight feet tall, I would say, if not taller.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    That's really interesting. I hadn't thought of that, nor had I heard about Ruin meeting the Father (and his children?).

I remember, and enjoyed, that part of TPM novel (GL's Sith origin story). Too bad it didn't make it to film-level lore. So, yeah, I wonder if that's the underlying story: 2000-ish years before TPM, the Sith are founded and begin grabbing up power, and the Father left the temporal world to protect his power. And as of Overlords, the Father is like the caretaker of the Force, right? That was the impression I got.

I'm almost scared to consider this, but I hope Anakin did not disclose the events of Mortis to Palpatine.

Original Oatmeal and Lady_Misty like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Could Darth Ruin be a failed Chosen One?

Why?

16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The EU corrupted them.

If you don't want a lot from the EU if you look at the novelization of TPM Sidious recalls in his mind how the Sith got their start some two thousand years ago. A Jedi disagreed with the teachings of the Jedi Order and left. Other Jedi over a span of time followed him. This could be about the time of the origin of the distress signal and if Sith/Fallen Jedi were running rampant in the galaxy it would explain the caution of the Jedi Council.

We don't know what else was in the message/transmission either since the distress signal/code was buried in it.

Also the Father alludes to Anakin that he and his children can do great harm to the galaxy and that their are beings out there that would try to use them; the Sith are on the list. Whatever Mother Talzin is I'd put on the list. I would put the Jedi on the list simply because some Jedi might be tempted to either try to control them.

It would be interesting to note that Mother Talzin's voice has similar qualities to the beings on Mortis. Mother Talzin's voice has an echo and in places/at times has a distinct masculine quality. The Daughter's voice almost had this quality when Anakin tried to check on her after pushing her out of the way of the falling rock. Mother Talzin's voice also distorts at times like those on Mortis.

Something to chew on.

17. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011

That guy doesn't need any more power than what he has. But access to the power of Mortis was possibly cut off, after the death of the Father and the exit of Anakin and Co.

eukaryote and Lady_Misty like this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Where in the TPM novel is that? I have the novel but I've only skimmed it.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When Sidious and Maul meet on Coruscant.

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    you're welcome. let me know what you think.

22. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Another question I have is how well known is the prophecy of the Chosen One? I ask because the Son asks Obi-Wan shortly after the they meet if it's true that Anakin is the Chosen One. Obi-Wan goes from acting rather calm to igniting his lightsaber and demanding to know what he knows about "such things?". Unless you take the novel Darth Plagueis into consideration there's a scene where Dooku tells Palpatine that Qui-Gon Jinn believes that he found the Chosen One but it would lead one to believe that the Jedi keep certain things to themselves. And honestly the last thing Anakin needed was for people to know the possible circumstances of his birth.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

If the show hadn't been cancelled, would they have gone back to Mortis?
    Given how the arc ended, I don't see why the writers would...

If the signal was important to them (and the story) they would have made it a bigger deal instead of just mentioning it during the opening narration.

Same here. To me, it sounded like Sifo Dyas was trying to reach the Jedi without alerting the Republic. [face_dunno]

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What about Darth Ruin and the beginning of the New Sith Wars?

25. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Fair enough. I'm not at all well-versed in that period, but you are correct, around 2000 years before the Battle of Yavin was the beginning of the New Sith Wars. That is likely how the Jedi distress signal originated, during an early conflict of this thousand-year war. Darth Ruin of course figures into this, as he was the one who recreated the Sith Empire and warred against the Republic.

To delve further into your original question, I am of the opinion that the Ones were ancient Celestials who chose to manifest themselves physically, and had existed for countless aeons. It's therefore unlikely to me that the Father was a former Jedi or had been outside of Mortis, in the greater galaxy, around 2000 BBY. But there are many theories regarding the purpose of the Anchorites; on a superficial level they are supposed to maintain the delicate balance of the Light and Dark Side of the Force, and the Father follows its will. But look deeper, and one has to wonder, are they meant to exist in this strange dimension to maintain this balance for all eternity? Or is the balance itself cyclical, shifting and changing over the course of millennia? Were there ever multiple Chosen Ones in the past, before Anakin Skywalker? Perhaps the Father had summoned these "Chosen One" candidates to Mortis in the past? Hence, if you think this is the case, 2000 years back the Jedi distress signal might have been sent by the Father to ensnare this previous "Chosen One" candidate. Of course, this is all rampant speculation...

Pretty much agree that the signal is really not important to the story, and the most likely scenario is the first one I mentioned about a distress beacon activated early in the New Sith Wars. The Sifo-Dyas idea can't work because the man wasn't born yet 2000 years ago. I understand the fun in speculating though, since Christian Taylor wrote both the Mortis arc and the upcoming Yoda/Sifo-Dyas arc, where some connections might well be made between the two arcs.

Mother Talzin is the leader of the Nightsister tribe that's said to worship the Winged Goddess (the Daughter) and the Fanged God (the Son). As such, the Nightsisters believe their magicks are brought forth by tapping into the powers of these two deities, and to communicate with this spiritual realm. Perhaps Talzin's Voice of Legion is a result of her deep immersion into Nightsister rituals, as she is the lead shaman after all. I found it interesting that not long after the death of the Ones on Mortis, Talzin's Nightsister tribe folded under the barrage of General Grievous' forces during the invasion of Dathomir in Massacre. While it might just be a coincidence, I wonder if Talzin ended up losing power and influence in the material realm after the demise of their "gods". Nevertheless, the tribe would live on, if not under Talzin, than Gethzerion during the Imperial era. So the connection might be very loose, if it even exists at all.