main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happened to miracles?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Uruk-hai, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    This will probably be a real short discussion, someone will have an answer for me I'm sure.

The question is why is there no modern day miracles? All the so-called miracles happened thousands of years ago - walking on water, water to wine, healing of sick, blowing down stone walls with horns etc etc. Why have they all stopped? Why must we rely on faith these days when the ancients had examples of divinity.

Also, why doesn't God talk to people these days? He used to be quite the conversationist, but now we don't hear him much at all if ever. What happened? I truly want an explaination.

Mods - Point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed, thanks.

2. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Some would say modern miracles do occur, but a prevailing cynicism buries them.

As for God talking to people, walking on water miracles, etc, they were special even in those times too, or they wouldn't have been documented.

So really, miracles aren't common occurences.

3. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Here is a similar question. Why haven't they written a "new-new" testiment? At what point did the holy dudes say "let's stop contributing new things to the bible"?

4. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Mabey you just don't know where to look, or you arn't listening.

5. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    So I'm blind and deaf? Point me out a modern miracle that can't be explained scientifically and I'll be convinced.

6. StarFire

Oct 31, 2001
    Why does it have to have to be scientifically inexplicable to be a miracle?

7. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Because if its scientifically explainable it's not a miracle. Miracles are usually occurances that should be impossible.

8. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Well, what's the definition of a miracle? I'd have thought it was along the lines of making the impossible possible.

9. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    My relgion has a modern scripture, we even have modern prophets. If you want a "new-new testament" there is something called the "Book of Mormon" which is another testament of Jesus Christ, I am sure I could get you one if you wanted. ;)

10. StarFire

Oct 31, 2001
    If it happened, it's not impossible. So technically there's no such thing as a miracle.

We need a working definition of "miracle" before this turns into a grammar discussion. How about defining a miracle as a supernatural occurrence?

11. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    My ex-girlfriend and I still love each other, though we broke up, we're on very good terms, and are mutually happy with where we are at. I believe that to be my own personal miracle...how often does this happen? None that I have heard of.

Biblical...no...but still.

Ciou-See the Sig

12. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Simply? People have lost Faith.

Bluntly? If people acted the way they should and we weren't a self absorbed people miracles wouldn't be necessary.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

Miracles stopped when people figured out the Earth wasn't the center of the universe. Quite simply: there are no miracles, and there never will be. Everything is explainable with science, logic, and reason.

14. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002

Miracles stopped when people figured out the Earth wasn't the center of the universe. Quite simply: there are no miracles, and there never will be. Everything is explainable with science, logic, and reason.

Can anyone say "unwarranted assumption"?

15. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Everyone's entitled to their own belief but IMO I think to deny one's spirituality is to deny GOD'S existance and that is my problem with scientific theory.

There are things that science cannot explain.

16. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Everything is explainable with science, logic, and reason.

Bumble bees :p

How bumble bees fly can't be explained by physics or science.

Besides many peopl argue that science is it's own faith - but that's a debate for another thread.

Me personally. I think miracles still exist, just on a smaller scale. I think many of the 'older' miracles tend to be a tad exaggerated through age and repeated tellings.

Kithera

17. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    "If it happened, it's not impossible. So technically there's no such thing as a miracle."

Pretty much sums it up.

My opinion is that as society becomes less superstitious, is is less likely to accept any assertion as a miracle as it did in times past. Then again, people are very credulous. Maybe miracles aren't reported as often, but things like near death experiences, psychic powers, alien abductions, faih healings, talking to the dead most definitely are.

Either way, they're assertions that have no evidence to back them up, and accepting them is a matter of faith.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Dittionary definition:

miracle

1. event that cannot be explained by
    laws of nature

2. marvel

I suppose in the context of "cannot be explained by known laws of nature", that miracles happen. Once the reason of the event is known, however, the event is no longer a miracle.

19. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The question is why is there no modern day miracles? All the so-called miracles happened thousands of years ago - walking on water, water to wine, healing of sick, blowing down stone walls with horns etc etc. Why have they all stopped? Why must we rely on faith these days when the ancients had examples of divinity.

For one thing -- the horns didn't blow down the walls. ;) Most of the miracles can be either scientifically explained, or accepted on faith. Take your pick. These days, the days of science, any miracles that do occur will obviously be deconstructed and rationalized. Also, seeing as God is already pretty well established, He doesn't have to prove himself so spectacularly, or do any of the BIG miracles to save His people.

Also, why doesn't God talk to people these days? He used to be quite the conversationist, but now we don't hear him much at all if ever. What happened? I truly want an explaination.

God was never a conversationalist; He never spoke to people "face to face." When the prophets or whomever "spoke" to god, they pretty much had a seizure and a whole bunch of stuff was shoved into their minds, which they then interpreted into speech to tell the rest of the people. So even if God tried to talk to someone nowadays, that person'd probably just be diagnosed epileptic/schizophrenic, medicated and/or locked up until the "problem" was done away with. :D

20. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Well, I sorta think that miracles are not something that can't be explained by science. They are things that happen when you least expect them for the better. That's a miracle.

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm just saying most of them can be explained. The parting of the Sea of Reeds could be attributed to tidal or volcanic action elsewhere. The coming of the quail when everyone wanted meat could coincide with their migration patterns. The Nile turning to blood could have been some kind of algal bloom. Stuff like that. Some's likely, some's quite a stretch, but if you really want to you can attribute just about any miracle to some scientific explanation.

22. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    So there's been no "I shan't produce any more evidence of my existance" type comment from God, just we have been smart enough to recognise the forces at work that were generating these "miracles"?

23. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    I think some miracles can be boiled down to miracles of timing.

24. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Personally, I believe that although it can be explained by science, doesn't mean it isn't a miracle ...

Today we have deep faith in science; if we can't find a scientific reason for it, we firmly believe we will find one.

And miracles are overrated anyway. Why are they special and what do they really accomplish?

I'd much rather focus on the dialy miracles: birth, life, a new step, beauty, happiness. They happen to each and everyone of us, but they're still miraculous in some ways.

25. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Maybe miracles aren't reported as often, but things like near death experiences, psychic powers, alien abductions, faih healings, talking to the dead most definitely are.

Are actually incredably underreported in the common media. Simply because people would laugh at the person.

I love it when people assert that if it can't be explained by science then it can't exist. Considering that science is discovering new phenomena and the explanations for them every day, then you have to accept that these things just might be real and science is not yet far enough advanced to explain them.

Besides, why only look to science as the be all and end all of all world knowledge. Used to be a time when that was the role of the church or major religion. Many people would argue that society has merely swapped one group (religion) for the other (science) as the way of explaining the unexplainable.

Kithera

Edit: I'm not saying people should go off and join the church, I'm merely pointing out that just because science can't explain it, doesn't mean it can't happen/doesn't exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.