main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happened to PizzaThaHutt?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by keiran_helcyan, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Orbilus, look! It's PreacherBoy!

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Fire_Ice_Death, you seem to be trying to make a huge deal out of something that isn't. If a user here uses someone's personal information to send them tons of spam, then their ability to come here should be taken away. Isn't one of the rules here no spam? I think that should include this.

Personal info that is given out on a message board isn't protected. Also, no, I'm not. I'm just discussing how ridiculous his actions were.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Didn't Pizza come off a rather lengthy ban only recently? It would seem that he has shown a pattern for ill-advised behavior on these boards, at least for the time that I've been around here.

Taking that into account, the punishment seems just. My only question -- would the punishment have been the same if any non-mod member had been so victimized?

I hope so.

AYBABTU

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I doubt it. And it wasn't on the boards. Atleast not directly. What you put for your e-mail isn't protected by the rules here. Whereas if I did something like that to one of the members here and one of my friend's, neither of them would factor into this.

EDIT: I'm out of here for the night, next stop dreamworld, then Best Buy. Wooopey!

5. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    You bet. You provide substantial evidence that a member has signed you up for spam, and I can without-a-doubt confirm the evidence as being true, and I'll permanently ban the member myself.

6. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Then let me ask this question: What sort of behavior results in a perm ban as opposed to a temporary ban? Just asking for a little clarification.

7. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    If a member here is diliberately using personal information for spamming people, then yes, they should be banned. It doesn't matter if it isn't technically on the boards; they are using information from it. Especially in this case, where there was obvious not-good intent.

8. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

My point is that Pizza repeatedly showed not-good intent, and has been banned on mulitple prior occasions.

I see PB catch a lot of flack around here, and I don't quite understand why. Does he put up with much crap? Nope. Does he ban people on occasion? I've seen him ban a few. Were they breaking the rules? Yep.

What's the problem?

AYBABTU

9. keiran_helcyan

keiran_helcyan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 1999
    "Then let me ask this question: What sort of behavior results in a perm ban as opposed to a temporary ban? Just asking for a little clarification."

Usually trolling, seriously spamming the boards, threatening members, or showing a bad pattern (repeadly doing the same temporarily bannable event, after being warned etc.) will win you a perm. ban.

10. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    PB lacks TEH tact needed for dealing with people.

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Pizza has had multiple incidents of lengthy bans, and perm bans, only to be let back in on the promise that he follow the rules, and not cause any trouble. I personally have not seen any evidence that points to him trying to do this other than for the first week or two after his return. He has had multiple chances, and has not taken any advantage of them. I have gotten along pretty well with him, but a moderators personal feelings towards a person do not come into account when making this kind of decision.

And yes, this kind of action has been taken over spamming of normal users. Kyle was banned for it. He signed multiple users up for spam, one of which was a mod which is one of the ways in which he was caught. Yes, it is easier for us to find out if someone has done this to us, but if a member can come to us with some suspicion, then we can investigate it.

As for the deletion of his posts, would I have done it? I have no idea. It is not a power that moderators have (ie, it wasn't PB that did it), so I never consider it an option. But whether or not you agree with it, it is done. It can't be reversed, so just accept and move on.

Pizza has decided on his course of action, and now has to deal with the consequences of said actions.

12. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    There's a lot of behavoirs, but that is not something we will ever lay out in yes or no format for you all, because there are always special cases.

From what history has shown, people caught signing up members for SPAM have been perm banned.

13. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    There's a lot of behavoirs, but that is not something we will ever lay out in yes or no format for you all, because there are always special cases.

I realize this. I wasn't expecting a "This will get you temp. banned/This will get you perm. banned" chart or anything.

14. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Then I can't provide you with anything more than what I've already said, really.

We were asked to be Admins because we had a certain sort of common sense and decency. So you can assume that we moderate these forums, making sure those same things are kept in mind.

15. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    And you'd be suprised how often "permanent bans" become just long temporary ones. If you know how to grovel, usually you can get back on (see: Pizza the first time, or AT60 for example).

16. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Yeah, for the most part it is quite easy to manipulate Admins who aren't totally keen on the situation. The only people who haven't been perm-banned to temp-banned are people that are unwilling to admit any wrong doing, like KK or TFU.

It'll be a few long months [read: when we're all on our "I can't Episode II is next week" high] before we would even agree on giving Pizza another chance, and he would have to completely have lost his "sarcastic comment/signature here" routine if he was going to last hours, if not minutes.

17. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    TFU still hasn't apologized!? I thought he would have caved by now.

18. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Personally, I'm anti- letting people back who are "perm banned." C'mon, if someone breaks the rules repeatedly, they need to go. Before someone gets the "perm ban," haven't they already been given many, many chances?

My $.02.

AYBABTU

19. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I agree, especially since the Administrative duties of the JC are taking 1-2 hours out of my day, and that I need to schedule having fun in the Community or in other forums.

[face_plain]

20. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    PB, you need to take lessons from Chyren. That was a moderator who had time to ban a whole mass of users, and have a fun time doing it :)

21. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Yeah, he's the perfect role model.

22. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    "Yeah, for the most part it is quite easy to manipulate Admins who aren't totally keen on the situation."

[face_plain] We'll see about that! I hear DP wants to be let back and he's made a good case to me...

Folks, for the moment, even I will admit that Pizza won't be unbanned. He has done things very wrong on the boards, regardless of the email stunt. He's banned, right now for good.

But the adreniline fervor of Ep2 may make some lightheaded enough to hit the unban button a few times... :D

Let's call it quits. If no objections, I think we should lock this.

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

One of the obvious problems associated with being a mod is the fact that the mods seem to have to explain themselves every time they take any action. Anytime someone popular gets banned, everybody starts giving the mods lip about it. Was the banned member breaking the rules? Obviously, or he wouldn't have been banned. Should the mods have to answer to the Community every time they ban someone? I don't think so.

Mods should simply need to quietly ban those they see breaking the rules. If they want to make pithy comments about it, go for it. If not, then we should accept that that's simply what mods do -- they police the boards and enforce the rules.

From my point of view, being a mod shouldn't be a very stressful thing at all. They should just do the job. People seem to add to their workload and frustration by questionig everything they do.

AYBABTU

24. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I like you. Did you just join the JC in March, or have you been here longer as someone else?

At any rate, you and people like you [DDH and a mess of others] are on the right track and need to speak louder to your fellow members that take things too seriously and display too much of their geek angst... I mean "male prowess".

25. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I'd just like to add 3 things:

1) The indefinite ban has my full support.

2) Removing all of PTH's posts was something that should have been discussed first.

3) Someone said:

Spam is easily curable.
    So is Small Pox. Want it?

Vertical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.