main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happened to PizzaThaHutt?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by keiran_helcyan, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    haha... well most people do not understand this is supposed to be a place of enjoyment and if you cant enjoy yourself within the boundry of the rules leave please.

2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

PB, I lurked PSA for a while, but when I discovered Community, I signed up.

I often wonder if I'm the only one here who doesn't think he runs the place.

People should post messages, have fun, and not break the rules. When I've broken rules, I've been banned. I knew why I was banned, and I know what it'll take to get banned again. Will I be banned again? Maybe. I do have a smart mouth, and I speak harshly to idiots, trolls, and spammers. If I get banned for it, then I shouldn't have done it.

It's as simple as that. No one need question it.

Take TFU as an example. I agreed with him on a great many things, though I didn't always agree with his methods. I looked at his posts before he was banned. By themselves, they shouldn't have gotten him banned. But when you look at the sum total of all his posts, threads, trolling, etc., it was a good move. It need not be explained. The ban is just.

Let the mods moderate, and just post messages. Hey, if they want to ban you because you're a trekkie, they can do it. If you disagree with their methods, aldera.net has a message board.

AYBABTU

3. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    After reflecting on all this for a while, I'd like to post some thoughts.

PreacherBoy, while you and I may have our differences, I see the banning as justified. I suppose I've been somewhat jaded by what happened between us in the Marriage thread. I still don't understand the need for the post deletion, but I agree that Pizza had to be punished for what he did.

From my point of view, being a mod shouldn't be a very stressful thing at all. They should just do the job. People seem to add to their workload and frustration by questioning everything they do.

I'll admit to being guilty of this. I don't normally initiate such discussions, but I'll join in if I feel I have something to add. You must admit though, on occasion (not always) such discussions can be pertinent.

Someone said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spam is easily curable.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So is Small Pox. Want it?

I understand the thinking behind this, but I still feel it's kind of an extreme comparison. Yes, spam in an annoyance, but it's not a disease.

Let the mods moderate, and just post messages. Hey, if they want to ban you because you're a trekkie, they can do it. If you disagree with their methods, aldera.net has a message board.

Good point. If you can't get along with the administration, take it elsewhere.

Now, I'll admit to having my problems with mods, mainly PreacherBoy. But after thinking about this whole issue I'm resolving to seriously consider all sides of an admin/user argument before jumping into the fight and posting like mad.

4. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    We did get an official response from Pizza on how this happened, but it's one we've seen before. I'd give you the paraphrased one-liner of his HUGE e-mail, but I think I'd have a bunch of "YOU CAN'T POST E-MAIL ON THE INTERNET!" people coming at me.

It's pretty funny though, if Vertical and I had a quarter every time we've heard this response, we'd be like Siegfried & Roy.

5. Spiderdevil

Sep 20, 2000
    We did get an official response from Pizza on how this happened, but it's one we've seen before.

What exactly do you mean? Was it an unban request? Or just an e-mail explaining how he went about doing what he did?

6. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Fine. You made me say it.

Quote from e-mail:
    I was flat-out wasted.
    [face_plain]

7. Spiderdevil

Sep 20, 2000
    I didn't "make" you say it. I was just asking for a little clarification as to what you were talking about.

8. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    There it is! [face_laugh]

9. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001
  10. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I gave him a warning. I don't "crush" people for doing one or two little mistakes.

11. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I know. I was just using hyperbole to make a point.

AYBABTU

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    He was wasted?!?! HA, next it'll be his little brother.

Seriously, I'm glad to see that reading through this thread, people have somewhat come to grips with this whole thing. I saw 83 replies and thought, "Oh god, 80 people saying PTH is some kind of martyr, and PB fending them off."

But PB is right, (And I thank him for the kind words above), this is just a place to have fun. That's all. Its not a soap opera, it shouldn't have any affect on your real life. If you ever find yourself that annoyed at someone here that you feel the need to take the time to sign them up for 200 or so SPAM mailers, you need to seriously examine things.

This place would be a lot better if people didn't themselves so damned seriously. Come in, have fun. Realisticly, the rules here are not that strict. Don't take everything everyone else does as a personal slight to you. If a mod bans you examine why and think about, don't start a huge 150+ reply thread in comunications about it. Use common sense in things. We're all human, none of are Robots connected to cyberspace by a cord that extends from our foreheads (Except maybe farraday). We all make mistakes, the trick to becoming a better member here is by learning from them. PTH did not learn from his mistakes and now he's gone, simple as that. (Like how I tied everything together at the end there :) )

13. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    geez, I take a nap and go to dinner and come back to this earth shaking tsunami laden situation. :D :D :D

PTH always did like to push everything to the edge. *sigh* well, this time he really fell off the edge.

*takes off cap and waves g'bye to PTH*

14. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    How kind of you DDH.

<note to self:DDH knows to much>

I have no issue with the banning or the reasoning behind it, although I would suggest more discussion before mass deletion of posts.
    After all, it makes a bloody mess of the threads.

15. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I rather enjoy the notion that a JCer's entire legacy may be erased if he/she decides to continually behave like a tool.

AYBABTU

16. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, but considering the fact it is irreversable unlike a ban of anysort and can mes up threads I think more caution and deliberation should be employed before it's use.

17. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I Wonder if I get banned, will YOU GUYS want me to come back, because you LOVE ME?? ?[face_plain]

18. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    okay, i've read the whole thing and am going to put in my 2¢ since i don't want to write my spanish paper.

pizza signed up a member for spam e-mail. that's happened before, and the member got banned. so pizza got banned. it seems to be sticking to policy. the posts got deleted, but not by the mod who banned him. so while he had some say in it, he didn't actually do it. permanent is really just a name for long-term... for not everyone does permanet mean forever. let's not get so caught up in the terminology here, eh?

the past relationship between the mod and the member really don't have much to do with the banning. pizza may have done that because he was mad at PB, but what he did was wrong, so he got punished for it. end of story. PB didn't ban him because he didn't like him, he banned him because he broke the rules. how they felt about each other doesn't matter.

as a personal request, perhaps debates between moderators should be kept to the mod squad. especially if they don't pertain to the topic at hand. whether PB and pizza liked each other or exchanged some words has nothing to do with pizza's getting punished for breaking the rules. this thread is about pizza, not PB.

the question is what happened to pizza. the answer is he was banned for spamming a member of the community. seeing as i'm a big fan of the new policy, perhaps this thread should be locked, or a warning saying it will be locked in 24 hours if no new pertinant issues come up.

on a totally unrealted side note: why isn't writing spanish papers this easy?

edit: rhtorical question. don't answer it. i don't want to get in trouble for taking this tread off topic :p

19. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I think we've said about all we can without getting deep into semantics, a losing argument for all sides.

While discussions between moderators on issues does take place in private, we should be able to cast aside colors and post our views in public (in part). But, I feel sometimes the issue got sidetracked; my apologies for my part in that. Things can sound more heated when heard with inflection over the phone. ;)

The previous post sums it well. Let's end it at that. Okay? Okay.

Locking...locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.