1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

what happened to star wars detours?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by jacktherack, Sep 7, 2013.

1. jacktherack Jedi Master

star 4
    Wasn't it supposed to be out by now? it was promoted pretty heavily and then nothing...
  2. Airdave Jedi Jedi Youngling

I think it died when Disney took over.
  3. Ordo Skirata Jedi Knight

star 2
    It was originally going to premier sometime in 2013, but was postponed in March because of Episode VII and the Disney deal. There might be a chance it could still be released, as it was only postponed. I could see it turning into a straight to DVD/Blu ray release later on.
    Last edited by Ordo Skirata, Sep 7, 2013
    CaptainRegor likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    It's odd is Lucas himself was onstage promoting it at C6, when he was already several months into settling the deal with Disney. I suspect the decision to put Detours on ice was made at the last minute, possibly as a result of cutting ties with Cartoon Network.

I agree there's a chance it could still happen someday, since they were so far along with completing it. Or it will end up like the scrapped version of the old Battlefront III project, with occasionally footage filtering onto the internet at random.
    Last edited by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 7, 2013
  5. 07jonesj Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh no! Detours may never see the light of day!

What was that? Yes, of course I want the only copy put under the 50 tonnes of cement! Yep, right next to the Holiday Special.

Uh, where was I? Oh no! Detours!
  6. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 7
    It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. Might be worth tweeting at Seth Green or someone else involved in the production process of it.
  7. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of CT, SW Saga and Lucasfilm Ltd

Manager
    star 9
    I haven't followed this one too closely but I assumed that the situation was the same as that of Battlefront, assumed to be gone forever but might be brought back if Disney decides it's worth their while.
  8. vong333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Its gone with the wind. This sucker is done. I doubt will see this in the future.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master

star 4
    I tweeted him just now so I am going to see if he replies.
  10. JackG Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    It looked so ****.
    spicer and 07jonesj like this.
  11. Orrelios Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't mind the fact that Detours was put on ice; the trailers and preview clips made it feel pretty much like a lame version of Robot Chicken's Star Wars skits.
    Last edited by Nexumaster, Sep 9, 2013
  12. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 6
    If they have a chunk done, maybe enough for a direct to DVD movie or so, I'd say look for it round the time Ep. 7 hits. "Like Star Wars? Here's something shiny and new to take home with you!"

Now, if they pulled a Clone Wars and had, like, an entire season in the can, may be a different story.
  13. Narutakikun Jedi Knight

star 4
    It took a detour... right off a cliff.

In all seriousness, according to several sources (including Seth Green himself) two full seasons - 40 episodes - were completed and were/are ready to air. Disney has shelved them indefinitely because they don't think they fit in with the tone they want to set for the prequels. Likely that means that they felt there was too much parody material out there already, and they wanted to keep things serious for their new tentpole movies coming out starting in 2015. Long story short, don't expect to see it anytime soon. If anything, Disney will probably do a quiet and mostly unpromoted DVD release in maybe five to ten years.
  14. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    It's frustrating that Disney cancelled a project that was so far along in production and that obviously had so much affection put into it. However, I can't say I'm disappointed personally with the decision. I've always been of the opinion that parody should be done by outside sources and should not be a subject covered by the franchise itself, and now that we have more films on the way and a momentum to keep up my feeling are even stronger. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if some clips leaked online. The previews were amusing in some parts. I just don't think a show like that would reflect well on the franchise in the eyes of the public.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Revanfan1 Force Ghost

star 6
    I really wanted to see Detours. The trailer looked hilarious–I especially loved the breakdancing scene at the end. There's something about Obi-Wan, Han, C-3PO, Greedo, and IG-88 dancing that is...surreal. Also, loved Ackbar:

"It's a ploy! No, it's a ruse! A subterfuge! An ensnaring device! It's a frap! It's a wrap! Where's my hat? IT'S A TRAP!...Sorry. Trying to think of it all day, couldn't get it out of my head..."

Also loved the newscast where a clone trooper got stuck in a room for days. It shows footage and he's just sitting with his back against the wall, slowly tapping the back of his head against it.
  16. vong333 Jedi Master

star 4
    this stuff is done buddy. Forget Detours, just like 1313.
    Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  17. Lando Swarm Jedi Knight

star 2
    George may have believed that Disney would air it, but the Disney execs are smart people and wouldn't would to tarnish the brand name any further with forced, sub Jar-Jar humour. Star Wars had already gone too far down that direction. It's Disney's job to make Star Wars awesome again, not to mock what a laughingstock it has become.
    Pfluegermeister, spicer and klooney like this.
  18. Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master

star 4
    It would be interesting if they secretly released Season 1 of the show on the TCW season disc set and Season 2 on the Bonus Material disc set.
  19. CommanderColt Jedi Knight

star 1
    I see that some disliked the Detours promo, but keep in mind that it unlike Robot Chicken it was geared towards kids as much as adults. Robot Chicken is funny, but my kids can't watch most of them (they love the Yarael Poof skits). My kids are still asking me when Detours is going to be shown. Sadly I have no answer. I thought i read in an interview from one of the producers that they were a good two seasons in. If it has to go straight to DVD so be it, but I would sure like my kids to see it before they are no longer kids. I gotta think that it will be released sooner or later. They spent the money making it. There is no reason not to make their money back on it.
  20. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Owen: Detours died about the same time as 1313.

Luke: Detours knew 1313?

Owen: I told you to forget it.
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master

star 4
    Disney would be dumb not to publish this if it is sitting on a shelf somewhere (or computer hard drive[face_dunno] ) .
  22. Darth Eddie Jedi Master

star 4
    seth green has spoken about this many times before. detours has been shelved for a later period of release. there are 2 seasons worth of finished episodes. it would simply be self-destructive in a cost-effectiveness not to release that stuff somehow at some point.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. Narutakikun Jedi Knight

star 4
    Maybe. Disney, like all well-run corporations, understands the concept of sunk costs. This is especially so when it was pre-buyout Lucasfilm who sunk those costs - i.e., it wasn't Disney's money. So they're probably very willing to write off the production costs of Detours. As for Disney being willing to bury something it could sell and potentially make money off of, well... try buying a copy of Song of the South, and see how that goes.

Like I said, I expect to see Detours quietly released direct-to-video in maybe 5-10 years. Probably around the same time as the Holiday Special.
    Pfluegermeister and Darth Eddie like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    It might also be that the show was put on hold to take advantage of the post-2015 hype and will be broadcast then.
    Last edited by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 18, 2013
  25. Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master

star 4
    Could possibility work. Rebels will be two season in so it would not be flooding the market if they released in 2016 on the Disney Channel.