main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happened to this forum?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ghost, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I wouldn't want to move away from the CT and PT's policy on EU. Namely EU is a possibility, and not necessarily the "right" answer

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    There're more options than that. Because once you expand the scope of 'saga' beyond the films, why is it still necessary to restrict yourself to starting and ending with the films? The Thrawn Trilogy contains a pertinent interpretation of the Empire's defeat at Endor. The Darth Bane books elaborate on what it means to be Sith.

And 'saga' doesn't mean a period of time; it means a story. The original film only takes place over the course of a few days, but its story covers a much larger period. The events of the film are rooted in other events that took place generations prior.

I'm glad you brought this up, though. It's good to step back and get clear on what is meant by "the entire SW Saga". The PT-era EU fleshes out things beyond what is seen in the films, but isn't that what ALL the EU does? Is restricting "saga" to mean 'the story as presented in the six films' really more arbitrary than 'the story that occurs between the start of TPM and the end of RotJ'? I tend to think the latter is more arbitrary.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's why we'll debate it. :p

But if it makes sense, why not include it?

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    My problem's not with the idea of discussing EU here, but that I think you're making a completely arbitrary distinction between what does and doesn't count as 'saga-related'.

You seem to be calling for making things like TCW the actual topic of discussion, by expanding the definition of 'saga' to include them (but not other EU works which have just as little or as much bearing on the actual six-film story).

Frankly, I don't think TCW has any more or less to do with the story of the six-film saga than do the Rogue Squadron video games. And the live-action show, which we've been led to understand is about non-saga characters, has as little to do with the movie saga as any pre-TPM or post RotJ EU.

These are what I think are proper, equitable scenarios:

1. No EU discussion, period.
    2. Any EU can be brought up as it relates to an existing discussion about the film saga. Discussions are always still ABOUT only the films; no EU material can be the main subject of discussion.
    3. Any EU can be brought up and/or made the topic of discussion.

For example, if we're going to allow threads like "How Anakin's journey in TCW impacts his fall to the Dark Side in the Saga", then we should just as freely allow threads like "How the Emperor's battle meditation/mind control abilities described in the Thrawn Trilogy manifest in the Saga".

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not accurate; your example of the Emperor's battle meditation at Endor is only backed up by evidence that Zahn more or less made up. It's got nothing to do with anything actually shown onscreen. While Anakin's character progression in the Clone Wars EU definitely ties in distinctly with his onscreen persona as depicted in films following it.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    No, you're applying a double-standard.

In both cases, the EU works provides a new subtextual reading for the films. Anakin's time with Ahsoka is central to his journey in TCW, but her existence is not even HINTED at in the films.

The TCW thread would just be a bunch of people advancing after-the-fact interpretations of "When Anakin does X in RotS, it makes a lot of sense given Y that happens in TCW."

The Thrawn thread would just be a bunch of people advancing after-the-fact interpretations of "When Palpatine does A in AotC, it makes a lot of sense given that we're told B about his powers in The Thrawn Trilogy."

And honestly, that's all any 'relating the Saga to a particular EU installment' thread is ever about: finding places to interpret implicit connections between the works.

EDIT: Actually, the types of threads I think would be much more interesting (and more in line with the heavy-duty analysis that used to define this board would be those like "Narrative parallels between the Saga and the KotOR series" or "Comparing falls to the dark: Bane, Vader, Caedus".

One thing that's always frustrated me is that there's no single board on this site for an all-encompassing discussion of Star Wars. Lit is, I suppose, the closest (though it becomes SO focused on the EU that one loses sight of the films being the heart of it all), but there's nowhere really for discussions of the films AND games AND books as comprising one big SAGA, with the films at its center.

7. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    i agree. personally, i treat the movies are their own thing. for me, what happens around the films in the form of books, tv, cartoons or games should not be considered when watching the movies unless it comes directly from the pen (or pencil :p ) of Lucas. sure, he lets other people play within his world. but he also let me play in his world when he released action figures that i could mess about with when i was a kid. the scenarios i developed in my head playing with said figures are no more valid than the stuff made for tv and novels etc. as far as i can see.

8. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

[face_thinking] I wonder the same thing.....

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If we were to vote on a standard for this forum, of these three I would go with #2.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Likewise, given that it's what I proposed in the first place. :p

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ [face_laugh] Also meant to add that this approach seems to be the de facto standard anyway here in this forum and also in the PT and OT/CT forums.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well as I said before, in the PT and CT forums, EU is considered as a possible explanation, and not a definitive one. It should be that way here as well. If you want to consider the EU as the be-all and end-all, then post in the EU fora. This forum is under the "Star Wars Films" heading, and so that should be the only definitive canon.

By all means, raise things that occur in EU when relevant, but it's not considered to be the only explanation for things.

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, that sums up exactly what I meant.

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't think there's any harm in throwing in a little EU here and there in s discussion, but remember not all fans have the same view on EU, meaning some see as part of the Saga and others don't (while others hold part of EU as Saga but discard other parts). As this is a movie forum, we only require that all six films be recognized as the "Saga", beyond that its anyone's opinion and doesn't really hold high relevance to the debates/discussions that take place here.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
  16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
  17. CraigTNelson

CraigTNelson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2008
    I'm really not sure how the PT trilogy could be construed as less cohesive, other than the obvious ten year gap between the first two and the different actor portraying Anakin. Nothing that could be helped.

18. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I think if there is no new SW movies, eventually, most of us will slipped into the late 80's to mid 90's state of mentality that SW happened a long time ago and is just a part of our childhood and reliving in DVD's and that's that!

The prequels happened, it was a wild 10 years. After Ep1, so much to look forward to Ep2 and when Ep3 ended its run. That 10 years was wonderful and exciting!

Now, we are starving again. Yes, there is the CW which is not a bad thing. It have made a lot of kids fans of SW. I know a lot of nieces and nephews as big into SW as I was back in 77'. There will be the tv series, somehow, zero news of that. It will be cool and good!

But, there is nothing compare to a big screen SW movie.

I doubt what we want will be answered but I think I speak for everyone that we all want more SW movies, more trilogies. Why can't SW be like ST, it have over 10 movies and a recent reboot. SW have a long history and we are all ready for brand new characters, brand new adventures, brand new everything Star Wars.

If Lucas is my friend, I will tell him, no pester him daily to make more SW movies. Let someone else take care of it so he can spend more time with other projects. All he need is just say "okie dokie, babe! Steven's free for the next 8 months and JJ Abrams got some cool story about the Old Republic and Ralph Mcquarrie just found 800 ship designs he forgotten to show me way back!"

But jokes asides, if anyone of you are friend of the Lucas family. Do let him know we need more movies. Otherwise, we all be jumping to ST which isn't hard nowadays.*snicker* But a world without lightsabers and scroundels just ain't the same.

B

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If JJ Abrams makes a Star Wars film ( correction: if he makes another Star Wars film :p ), then all I have to say is this: y'all better be down with lens flares.

20. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004
    to me it looks like all the SW movie boards on here have been diminishing over about the last 3 years .

21. juliant

juliant Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    Forum is all right. We have to just bring some innovativeness or imagination.

22. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I firmly have come to grips that it will not go back to the fever pitch it was in when the the PT were coming out. That was the best time to be part of the boards.

23. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I don't know if this was done, since it was mentioned months ago, but recreating older threads is a very good idea. When I first became a CT manager, that's something Senny and I talked about. There can't really be all that many new, never-before-seen discussions since the CT is 30 years old, and newer members can often be intimidated by long threads that make them think their opinion is useless, so the best option is to just start threads over and have discussions again.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Up...

What topics do you think should be restarted?

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    DarthBoba restarted a few... some with more success than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.