main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN what happened with Episode 2?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by The_bald_ewok, Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_bald_ewok

The_bald_ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2001
    I dont get it, whats wrong with E2. Why isnt it pulling the numbers like it should? Is the media to blame?
    Did E1 leave that bad of a taste?
    Is there that much competition?
    Is the move that bad?

I dont know, to me, I LOVED the movie. I liked the characters and I didnt see any flaws. The things that people complained about I didnt see it. Could I be that blind? I know that the media didnt give it any love. Listening to Bob and Tom, they thrashed it. (but they liked the horrible movie Office Space)

Somebody give me a clue or your two cents!

2. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    From a film-making point of view, there were some questionable decisions made on editing, plot machinations and overuse of CG. You forget that not everyone looks at this film through the rose-coloured glasses of SW fandom.

Oh, and

-- but they liked the horrible movie Office Space

Gah!

3. theWOOK

theWOOK Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2002
    I know from a lot of students I teach and friends, they disliked TPM so much & were so let down, they did not even care to see AOTC. That ranges from ages 15 to 40.

The other thing is the difference in today's movie going audience. Few movies last summer had "legs" and stayed at the top. I did not expect AOTC to beat Sum of all Fears. People have to have the next big thing. In that mind set SW is last weeks news.

Plus it is not playing as many screens as it could.

All those add up to numbers not as high as they should be. It will still be huge, just not as big as TPM.

4. Hoot

Hoot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    Are you kidding?! Office Space was a great movie

5. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Bah, Sil's a basher!!!!!

:p

And Office Spaces is great.

6. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Ha! Not likely. I loved the movie, but it does have its flaws. The music editing still annoys me.

I'm a realist gusher.

;)

7. theWOOK

theWOOK Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2002
    AOTC forcast:

It does not look good.

Look for AOTC to stabilize this weekend, not much coming out (Bad Co. & Ya Ya) not quite SW markets.

June 5th: But it does not look good for the week after, Scooby "this movie will will stink like" Doo, Windtalkers, & the Bourne Identity.

June 21: The week after that is nail in the coffin with Minority Report.

June 28: could stage a minor comeback, but will be relagated to smaller screens with crappier sound.

July 3: uh oh... MIB 2

Oh, it does not look great past that.

8. thraken76

thraken76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2001
    AOTC can't hold a candle to this clasic:
    [image=http://www.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/movieposters/DocEvil_nerd.jpg]

9. Club_333

Club_333 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2001
    keep in mind that this is also the first star wars movie where digitally perfect copies have been made (illegally) available. there is even one post on this board where a person admits to having watched it more times at home than he has at the theatre. that equates to lost revenue for the movie.

10. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    When compared to Ep1, Ep2 has more competition and a lack of 16 years of built-up anticipation. Ep1 had Blair Witch and Austin Powers to compete with...it's a wonder Ep2 is doing as well as it is.

I blame scalpers...no particular reason, but I'm sure they're at fault somehow.

11. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    Seb is right. For E2 there were people who litterally went out of the movie and back in again because it had been 16 yrs since Jedi. Couple that with the "world wide release (let's face it there were a good number of folks who came from over seas to see the movie multiple times.

And honestly, not to belittle the point of this thread, What are our standards ofr the "right numbers"? I mean AOTC has already run past the 200m mark (in only 18 days if I remember right)It should make it to 300m and then hit a wall. And remember, TPM was still playing first run well into august of '99. I don't know if there will be room this year for AOTC to go that long. Then of course there will be a month or so of second run theaters which could get it up to 350m. Not bad for an independent film sequal.

12. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    Oh, so it doesn't make 500 million dollars by Flag Day. Wah wah wah.. It still has extended runs in theaters, re-releases, and then the DVD release. It hasn't opened in many countries around the world yet, so that will boost profits for the global take.

I'm not worried that this will spell doom for the franchise. George will be able to make Episode III, and in the fashion he wants. Relax. It's only a movie.

And anyone who downloaded a copy of it from the internet will burn in hell for all eternity. Or, so I've heard.

13. OriginalBryGuy

OriginalBryGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    I am a little shocked AOTC hasn't made as much as TPM, but I do think AOTC is much much better then TPM could ever hope to be.

With TPM people had been waiting years, the hype was so big, everyone was ready and went. I have friends who were reluctant to go with me to the IK midnight show cause they were so soured on the first film.

Jorg is right tho, it has yet to open in many countries, and will have other chances to make money in the future. When people start getting it on video and realize just how much better it is, it will have to put seeing Episode III in high proirity.

14. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
    i talked three customers at work into seeing it in the theatres tonight... i've done my part

15. Spencerian

Spencerian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Do note that AOTC will likely be out on DVD this fall...THAT will be where people who didn't care to see the movie now will rent or buy it...add another 100 million once that happens worldwide.

AOTC's revenues will work like ESB's--which was an equally great movie, but its darkness maybe reduced the re-view population.

16. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Don't forget - the Dow was about 1,000 points higher at the release of TPM than AOTC, not to mention a certain thing called "recession". ANd tickets are more expensive today than back then.

Money is tight for people. While they may really, really love a movie - ya just don't have that kind of money to spend on luxuries. Trust me - I've wanted to see it 20 times by now. I'm still on viewing #2.

I tried putting my kids leg braces into the windows for payment, but they won't fit down that slot. :(

17. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    In the 'big picture' of things, EpII will be immortal. These other summer movies will make
    more money--initially, but how many millions will memorize Scooby Doo? We know what the best movie of the summer is!

18. Club_333

Nov 4, 2001
    does anyone else picture homer simpson?
    "tattos preserve the things we love... starland vocal band??? they suck!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.