main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happened with the Live Action series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Samayel_, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Oh, how the descriptions of the LAS have titiIlated my imagination for years now. The criminal underground setting, the smaller characters, the timeframe and the generally more adult-oriented themes all appeal to my Star Wars sensibilities. I've envisioned it in my mind for so long now, that I almost don't even need to see the show to already have the series realized in my mind's eye. The truth is, I looked forward to this series with a level of excitement and anticipation not seen since Episode III.

All that said, I still have to disagree with your opinion regarding the ST for a myriad of reasons. First, while SW on television has major plusses, feature films are the preeminent setting for the franchise's stories. Then there's the fact that Episodes 7-9 will take us to a point in the narrative where we will be treated to a band of all-new, core characters for the saga and will no doubt serve as the cornerstone of Disney/Lucasfilm's next chapter for the franchise. Also (just speaking personally), the thought of Mark Hamill reprising the role of Luke Skywalker alone is enough for me to await the ST with bated breath. Lastly (and closest to my heart), if the father/son theme of the films is carried forth and the protagonist role is filled by a son for Luke, moving ahead with these films could wind up being the very best thing I could have imagined for Star Wars.

I know the thought of Episode VII (and the ST in general) doesn't generate a lot of love from some of us here in the land of WAC, with folks who (perhaps rightly) blame the production of the new films for the cancellation of The Clone Wars, but it's simply how I feel about things. If care is taken to uphold the very best traditions of Episodes I-VI and we wind up with three really well-made films, each filled with gripping tales acted out by characters the audience can identify with and root for, I think the ST could potentially be the best thing going for the future of Star Wars and (as much as I love the premise and still so desperately hope to see it become a reality one day) I just don't see that kind of upside with the Live Action Show.

General Immodet and V-2 like this.
  2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I really don't understand this excuse that they can only focus on the ST and everything else falls to the wayside...

pronker, Samayel_, cwustudent and 3 others like this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Part of me thinks that's just a good PR excuse. Rather than ending TCW because it's not making enough money (just a hypothetical example) they are going to come up with a more positive excuse that it's the result of "exciting new changes at LucasFilm."

Mia Mesharad made reference to the video game Star Wars: 1313 being on indefinite hold due to constant re-working, apparently ordered by Lucas himself, and it's possible that Disney just doesn't want to sink any more money into that project for the time being, and maybe they will ultimately decide not to continue with it.

Detours is the project that fell to the wayside that might still have the best chance of seeing the light of day, since it seems like they were pretty far along with it. Though I agree with Disney's decision that releasing it prior to Episode VII as the only Star Wars TV show on the air would probably be a bad marketing decision.

The LAS was on indefinite hold even before the Disney acquisition, because apparently they were "waiting for technology to catch up" to make production of the show economically feasible. Some have speculated that maybe the stories could be adapted into an animated show, though I think if the topics were as adult as rumored - dealing with topics like drugs and prostitution - that will probably never see the light of day in animated form, might might be condensed into a standalone film plot?

It's not uncommon though for scripts to be written and never actually make it into production. So it is possible that the 50 or so scripts will just stay in limbo forever and be abandoned. I saw a youtube video online where Kevin Smith was talking about briefly being attached to write a Superman movie and he talks about how he was brought on to do a re-write for a terrible script that had been written by someone else, and then ultimately he was released from the project when Tim Burton was brought on and wanted to bring on his own writers, and how his contract pretty much stipulated that he would be paid millions of dollars, even if the film never got made, so Tim Burton gets brought on and in that alone it's costing the studio millions. But obviously that project never saw the light of day and instead we got Superman Returns.

So even with 50 scripts written or however many there are, it's not unheard of for millions of dollars to be put into a project and then still be abandoned.

V-2 likes this.
  4. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    Exactly my thoughts. The Avengers is a huge property for Disney - so they're supplementing it with a S.H.I.E.L.D TV show... Star Wars will likely recieve similar treatment in due course!

When VII hits, the whole world is gonna go Star Wars crazy all over again - then will surely be the perfect time to unleash a series... New fans = New money after all ;D

As for the wait, nobody can call it yet - so getting all ragey is just silly (though that is the way of the internet, I know :p) we could get a VII to VII 'bridge' miniseries - or we could see nothing 'til post IX Star Wars and end up with a huge multi-series run! It will happen, but patience is key.

Change is scary, but Disney are a goliath, a fantastic business with a lot of resources - it may seem terrible now but I have faith in them in the long run to make the right moves for the fans and the franchise.

Anyhow - surely, projects being put on hold so they can pump everything into the ST is great news? It gives me a whole lotta hope that the movies are gonna be impressive if they're investing everything they can in them.

Time will tell, my friends!

I can't recommend this clip enough to everyone - hilarious and incredibly insightful. A very dry look at the film industry!

V-2 likes this.
  5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    They don't need an excuse. Star Wars is theirs and they can do whatever they like with it. End of story.

6. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Then why provide one?

7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Lucasfilm don't have infinite resources, or millions of employees. It's just not prudent to split them up when there's this giant unifying film project going on.

Darth Venator and TreborSabreon like this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree, especially prior to the sale to Disney. Now that Lucasfilm has the kind of resources backing them which a giant conglomerate such as the Big 'D' can provide, I think the only thing standing in the way of a green-light for the project is Disney's go-ahead.

For their own reasons (most of which probably do revolve around wanting the focus of the SW world on the ST right now) Disney surely doesn't seem likely to give that 'yes' to production, but they did confirm that they were looking at the property and it wouldn't surprise me to see the LAS start to become a reality in maybe five years, or so. Of course, it's possible I'm just too much the optimist.

9. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    the live action series has gone the way of the dinosaurs.... dodo birds...and for all extensive purposes... the way of battlefront 3. In short, extinction thanks disney!

10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    This one isn't Disney's fault.

11. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Well, the project was always on the table before. I mean it was only like last year they came out that they wrote tons of scripts. now with disney in command though, all hopes of underworld in the future is gone. So yes it is disney's fault

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    No.

Way back in May of 2011 was when George came out and said they were pretty much waiting for technology to improve so they could make the series at a reasonable price. He was quoted as saying, "It sits on the shelf."

In fact, "In January 2013, Paul Lee, president of ABC entertainment, stated that he is interested in doing a live-action Star Wars TV series. Since Disney acquired Lucasfilm, Lee stated that he felt that the show had more of a chance of becoming a reality."

So the most positive piece of news regarding this show since 2011 has been a result of the Disney deal. Look, I dislike them coming in and cancelling this show and 1313 etc. too, but they're not the devil. They're not the cause of everything bad.

13. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The short answer to the question is that basically every single pre-Disney Lucasfilm project is on indefinite hold while they get re-evaluated by Disney, and you would probably be right to err on the side of assuming that they're all canceled.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Putting other projects on hold to focus attention on movies is not exactly new. Didn't DC forbid any new Batman animated shows being aired during the production of Nolan's Dark knight Trilogy?

V-2 likes this.
  15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

Now that disney and the underworld show might happen, we could see more of Darth vader during the dark times. Lucas did say orginally that darth vader and other major charceters from the saga won't be in the show. Now that lucas is out of Star Wars things with the show might be alittle different!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series Wikipedia explains it all

16. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Disney has cancelled anything not related to the ST, including 1313 which was supposed to be an intro for the underworld show... By their own admittance they say they are only focusing on the ST. where on earth did you get the impression that Disney getting star wars would be good for this show? essentially, it was the death of this show.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Thats been my biggest complaint, but some on the boards are so anti-clone wars and to stupid to see that almost everything planned for the next year was cancelled, postponed or held back. There's really nothing exciting going on now until something gives on Episode ...of course 7. Those that say, but wait we have Stradley and the comics. We have more Dark Times yipee, and more Legacy...great, and now The Star Wars. Wonderful. All self contained ending series.

Can't complaint to much, but I don't expect much with live action television until Episode 7 comes out and sells.

pronker and Chewbacca89 like this.
  18. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Disney has cancelled anything not related to the ST, including 1313 which was supposed to be an intro for the underworld show... By their own admittance they say they are only focusing on the ST. where on earth did you get the impression that Disney getting star wars would be good for this show? essentially, it was the death of this show.[/quote]

Disney has not cancelled the Star Wars underworld show, yes it is still on hold but we are going to get the show! Its three of question of where, when, or how?

http://whatculture.com/tv/star-wars-should-a-tv-show-be-next.php Here the news from march 25th on what underworld and new animated show might be touched where Star wars as movies and tv never touched before!

19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Okay! I'm grumpy, but thanks for the link[face_relieved] .

20. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Disney has not cancelled the Star Wars underworld show, yes it is still on hold but we are going to get the show! Its three of question of where, when, or how?

http://whatculture.com/tv/star-wars-should-a-tv-show-be-next.php Here the news from march 25th on what underworld and new animated show might be touched where Star wars as movies and tv never touched before![/quote]

word of advice... dont get your hopes up man. SW tends to disappoint on stuff like this, I mean look at battlefront 3 and 8 years later still 0 sign of underworld.

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Cost is clearly the biggest factor here.

I wonder if Disney are waiting to see how S.H.I.E.L.D. does to determine if this is a worthwhile venture?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.