main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happens to a Jedi when he is expeled from the Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by General_Crix_Madine, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_Crix_Madine

General_Crix_Madine Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2001
    Hi everyone!! I haven t been posting here for a looong time so I decided to see whats happening here and also I have a doubt :

I was wondering if a Jedi is banished from the Order because he did something wrong or is constantly disobeying his orders...does he retire or becomes an evil jedi or perhaps a sith? Why would the jedi council expel someone when that individual can become a potential enemy?? It is not logical, it would be beter, instead of expeling a jedi, to make him more disciplinded or making him a padawan again and to clear his mind and give him jedi ?additoinal jedi lessons?..

So, what do you think?

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Welcome back to the boards General_Crix_Madine :cool:

If a jedi is expelled, it's not like they can just say "ok, you are not a jedi anymore. Give us your lightsaber, and stop using the force."
    They are probably just not allowed to officialy say they are a jedi and participate in jedi practices, such as going to the temple, having a master/apprentice... etc

It doesnt really mean that because he/she is expelled than they have to become a sith, but they would be a prime recruiting candidate for a sith master.

That's just my opinion, I have no proof to back it up.

But if you consider that in the entire history of the jedi there have only been 20 that have left the order (possibly some were expelled) than this is not a common occurance and each case is looked at individualy by the council.

3. General_Crix_Madine

Jun 16, 2001
    Would that mean that he is not alowed to use the force any more???? Hmm, maybe an expelled jedi should look for a new job :)

4. Elf

Elf Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 1998
    I bet he/she goes to Disneyworld.... :p

5. atomik

Jul 28, 2001
    "I bet he/she goes to Disneyworld...."

lol :D

Or they are given a gold watch, and sent to Florida

6. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Or a golden lightsabre :D...ew...

Anywho, expelled Jedi 'prolly aren't allowed to have the sanctioned authority of a Jedi, pretend that they do, and are expected to be civil etc. I mean...the fact that they aren't being watched might mean that they are watched very closely should they go rogue. [face_shocked]

Ciou-See the Sig

7. ObiWanAragorn

ObiWanAragorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    I don't think that the Council would be worried about the expelled Jedi becoming a Sith because before TPM they didn't know they were around for 1,000 years.

Maybe they are worried about it though, but since there's only been 20 (like atomik said) maybe it's no big whoop.

8. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    When a Jedi is expelled from the Jedi Order (a very rare occurence indeed), they are stripped of their Republic title as affiliates of the government and a Jedi Knight of the Order.

The rest is up to the individual. Many are not actually "expelled" in the sense that they are kicked out, but rather their title as a Knight, Padawan, etc. is revoked and they are sent into the Agricultural Corps.

Their are only 20 such instances in which the expellees, for lack of a better word, were actually kicked out of the Order altogether and sent out on their ways. The "Lost 20", as they are called, were the only expelled Jedi to be completely debarred from the Order.

Many cases, such as the followers of Potentium, were excluded from Jedi privilages but became workers of the government or lower class citizenry.

Hope that helps. :)

9. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Usually the jedi has an "accident" and is never heard from again.

10. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    [face_laugh] lol!

Classic Tupolov...classic.... ;)

11. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Well, Tupolov, you might be on to something...

Probably, since there were so few defections -- twenty in a thousand years! -- they were able to deal with them on a case by case basis. Personally, I would be keeping a much closer watch on them than they seemed to on Dooku, but maybe that's because Palpatine was clouding their vision.

It's not just a question of fare thee well, don't mess up--a fully trained Jedi is almost as dangerous without a lightsaber as he is with it. The Code is there to put a discipline on a vast amount of native power; letting a Jedi out with all that power and no Code to bind him is insane... and yet, they can't just keep people prisoner, and we know they do expel people (hence Obi-Wan's threat to Anakin on the transport). How would they bind them? Obviously, Dooku hadn't been bound, but he wasn't expelled, so maybe that was treated differently.

I don't know. The idea of Jedi wandering around without being bound by the Code is frightening.

12. Darth_Tallwon

Darth_Tallwon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2003
    They would become either a grey or Dark Jedi...
    Not a sith like many people believe this only portains to a certain masters of the Sith people enslaved by some insidious dark jedi thousands of years ago.

Jedi have left the counsel and returned. these are called greys in my estimation.
    They would be a force niether for good or for evil. Some were to nonviolent and became planet loving witches. Others became to hostile and were eventually hunted down.

Those who remain alive stay hidden not wanting to be caught up in the politics of the galaxy at large.

13. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Well, I know one thing for sure, they would have to hand over their lightsabers, that is pretty much a given ;)

The Jedi apprentice series made some references to this, if I initiate was not choosen from training by a master by the age of thirteen, they were shipped of somewhere...to be a healer, or a farmer, this way, they would still be helping the Galaxy, just not as a Jedi. I don't think that all Jedi they leave the order are lost, even though they have this special ability to use the force, does not mean they will use it do harm. I don't know, maybe some Jedi just decide they can no longer handle there duties and just leave so that they can start a family, or live a normal life, but then again, is any life ever normal? ;)

14. General_Crix_Madine

Jun 16, 2001
    Or maybe their hole memory is somehow erased so they can?t use the force or be force sensitive any more..the council would then send them to do some charity work somewhere in the galaxy :)

Just kidding..

I accept the fact that only 20 of them were expelled from the order in a 1000years, so that would mean that this stuff happens very rarely..

But somehow that line from ep2 is bugging me:

Obi: " You will be expelled from the Jedi Order!!! "

Too harsch from Obi?s side mesa thinks..

15. atomik

Jul 28, 2001
    "Well, I know one thing for sure, they would have to hand over their lightsabers, that is pretty much a given"

Why do you say that? Jedi construct their own lightsaber. I dont see what right the council has to take it away. Just because it can harm others? Jedi can do that without it as well.

16. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Because it's a symbol of the order--Anakin clarifies that for us in TPM when he points out that only Jedi carry "laser swords"--and therefore someone who has been expelled would be expected to not carry it, the way a minister would be expected not to wear his collar after being expelled. The Jedi are a religious order, and their various accoutrements have some meaning in that context.

17. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    But then again, QuiGon said, "Perhaps I killed a jedi, and took it from him." I guess that happens sometimes.

Also, I remember in the ANH novel or radio drama or something, ObiWan mentioning that some sabers do exist in some remote parts of the galaxy and are in use, but cannot be used with any accuracy or finese. He said something to the effect. That some people still did use lightsabers but it was stupid for them to do so, since they couldnt really use it with success.

Also, Dooku, who left the order of his own free will, still carried a lightsaber that was visible to all. Its not like he concealed it at all.

Jedi make their own lightsabers, so to take one from him when he leaves the order, like a cop turning in his badge, wouldnt do much good. They could just build another.

Yes, an ex-jedi, would probably be expected to carry a lightsaber. And a non jedi carrying one wouldnt be ridiculous either, albeit rare.

Back to the original topic, I dont think there were any hard feelings toward any of the lost twenty. They were all jedi who left the order of their own free will. Not kicked out, necessarily. Perhaps they quit for honorable reasons. Lets say there was one male "species x" jedi, and one female, and they could not continue thier commitment to the jedi order because their home planet had been wiped out, and they went off together to go start repopulating their race.

Uh, or something.

Anyways, I dont think most regard any of the lost twenty with any dishonor, or hard feelings. Otherwise, why keep a statue of them in the library? They still are viewed honorably. It doesnt seem like any of them renounced their jedi vows for selfish reasons, or that any were "kicked out", but more likely that they were just jedi who, although having good intentions, were merely unable to keep their commitment to the jedi.

Thats why the jedi take such great care in not training a person with any connections, family ties, culture, and make a point to do it from infancy. Brainwashing, almost.

Training someone as a jedi is a lot of power to give just anyone. They dont take chances on anyone going bad. Not even as small a ratio as 20 in 1000 years.

18. atomik

Jul 28, 2001
    Well put DarthWeenie :cool:

19. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Qui-Gon said that, not necessarily because it happened or was experienced, but rather to show the developed form of Jedi technique of presenting ideas metaphorically- "testing" in a sense the quick reaction to seeing the lightsaber.

I agree that "expelled Jedi" still carry their lightsabers, considering the fact that only 20 were debarred and they were not required to turn in their sabers. Being sent to the Agricultural Corps. does not require a lightsaber, although it is also not prohibited.

Because of this, I believe a few amount of lightsabers may have made it to the black market after the Purge due to the mass murder of the Jedi and the lack of use for the lightsaber. Yet even the VERY few that did get sold were most likely not used in a profitible manner- "..because it has not blade weight and is easily mis-controlled, it is not uncommon for a non-Force user that manages to get their hands on a lightsaber to kill themselves with it..."

Anyways...

I believe the lost 20 were more of an expelled group that were "lost" in the sense that they fell away from the Order...sort of like someone would fall away from a religion. Falling away from such strict ideas as the Jedi Order holds dearly and protects, is dangerous to the basis and continuing of such a group.

If you think about it, the very platform of the Jedi are to keep peace and restore order to difficult and hectic situations. If you have a "stray" individual with different opinions (not viewpoints, but opinions, considering viewpoint array is an element that is more positive than negative in the Jedi Order), then the resolution of certain probilmatic situations are at stake.

The Jedi keep strict ceremonial rules and stern restrictions on particular aspects- but not to the point of strangling the very instict of nature.

So the "Lost 20" were more a symbol of disarray in the choosing of descisions, rather than a problem in the instructioning. I would imagine most were kicked out by the Council, while a few (like in Dooku's case) walked out on their own.

Then again you have the ideal obstruction- "an ideal is an image of reality". With the obstruction of an ideal you present very dangerous situations, which then deal with the consequences of the individual(s)'s actions.

Take again the example of the followers of Potentium (Potentium being a different belief in the Force than the Jedi percieve it). Such an instance clearly shows what happens to ideals when they are misconstrued.

;)

20. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Humm interesting.
    Well the Code just isn't rules, it's something much deeper then words on a datascreen. It's something that eprson msut choose to follow. If the person falls away it makes me wonder if that person was truly wanting to follow the Lightside to begin with.
    (Ones who went evil, I'm refering too.)

Those who leave to have a family, it's only honourable to do so in honestly then trying to live a lie while in the Order. To live ina lie, weakens the spirit considerably.(IMHO banning marrige is what bascially kills the Order.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.