main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What happens to Darth Vader immediately after ANH?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wilde_karrde2002, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    Vader's TIE appears to be the only Imperial ship to survive the Battle of Yavin. Unless his TIE is special, they don't have hyperdrives.

So:
    Where does he go? I don't think there were any Imperial ships in the area, or they would have pursued the Rebels and attacked the base at Yavin 4.

Also, why don't the Rebels go after him? Even if they don't know it's him, they had to be able to pick up a TIE on the scanners. Why let one go?

I'm not a comic reader, so if that's where the answers lie, that's why I seem clueless.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    His tie is special and it does have a hyperdrive, it is a prototype.

3. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    DV:"Ummm, Vader to Palpatine. Come in Palpy."

P:"What is it, my apprentice"

DV:"I...kinda... need a lift. Can you come pick me up? Oh, by the way, I lost your death star."

____

Seriously, though, DV's Tie Advanced was equipped with a hyperdrive

EDIT: too late! damn these slow fingers!

4. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I thought I read some reference that Palpy got PO'd about Vader losing the Death Star and took off one of Vader's arms, supposedly leading to the mechanical hand/arm in ROTJ that Luke severs . Whether that is even an EU reference or something else I'm not sure, especially since Anakin apparently loses one of his arms in AOTC...

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Palpatine cut off Vader's mechanical right hand upon his return to Coruscant as punishment. He later outfitted him with another hand, because it wouldn't do for the Dark Lord of the Sith to be without a hand.

6. wilde_karrde2002

Jan 9, 2002
    Doesn't Luke cut off Vader's arm in Splinter of the Mind's Eye?
    I just started reading the book, but it says it in the encyclopedia.

So if he does, is it before or after Palpy does it?
    And, if it's true it happens to Anakin in AoTC or later, how many arms/hands does Anakin/Vader go through?

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke cutting off Vader's arm happens after Palpatine's punishment.

8. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    Rumour has it that Vader had his TIE specially equiped to stop Baron Fel vaping him all the time in sims. I think they said it either in the Essential Guide to Vehicles (not likely) or the Making of Baron Fel (more likely)

9. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    So I guess Vader wouldn't be too amused if someone asked him to give them a hand...

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Vader's hyperdrive was damaged during the Battle of Yavin, so he put himself into hybernation, and let his Tie fly. For a month, Dodonna had the Rebels looking for the Tie, to no avail.

Eventually, while Han was racing against Alfreda Goot to rescue Leia (WEG's Scoundrel's Luck), he inadvertantly brought Vader's Tie back into the hands of the Imps.

It took a week or so to recover, but Vader quickly got himself a Star Destroyer to command, and attempted to excise the Rebel infection on Yavin. They were too quick though, and got out of the system just in time for him to get there, and leave. They came back to the system immediately after the danger was over, what with nowhere else to go. (The Imperial Spy comic)

Vader did not go back to Coruscant immediately. He had a quest to pursue before facing his master. He searched and searched for the name of the rebel who destroyed the Death Star, and in a quest that took about 8 weeks (to Centares), eventually discovered his name (Marvel series and Vader's Quest). After this, he returned to Coruscant for the first time, only to leave immediately after seeing Palpatine, a possible lead on Skywalker's location having popped up.

After failing to capture him twice (Vader's Quest and Dark Lord's Gambit), he returns again to Coruscant (Scholastic Missions). He has his hand cut off (Dark Force Rising), and then heads off to Fondor (Scholastic Missions and Classic SW).

11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Hand actually. And that was in DFR

12. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Thanks, Matt. Fixed.

13. Theerah

Theerah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    Just how much of Vader was cybernetic anyway? This has been a topic of debate on other message boards... hmm. Maybe I should just post it as a seperate topic. I'm relatively new to EU stuff so forgive me if I sound lame. No pun intended.

14. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    1) Palpatine cut off his hand (It may have been mechanical already...we'll have to wait to see Episode III).

2) Luke cut off his arm in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

3) Luke cut off his hand again in Return of the Jedi.

15. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    :D "I have you now!"

16. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    So if he does, is it before or after Palpy does it?
    And, if it's true it happens to Anakin in AoTC or later, how many arms/hands does Anakin/Vader go through?

It's almost like a cartoon, huh? Everytime Vader loses a hand, another pops out. Like a lizard's tail regrowing after being yanked off.

1) Palpatine cut off his hand (It may have been mechanical already...we'll have to wait to see Episode III).

Well, that's Mara's chatter. There's no proof of this. She said she was going to kill Luke, she told Leia that. Blah blah blah. She said whatever she could to be a biotch.

I don't think a swim in lava would afford you any digits. Hands always sustain the most damage from extreme heat because they are small and thin, and have no fat to protect them. They are mainly tendon and gristle.

2) Luke cut off his arm in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

3) Luke cut off his hand again in Return of the Jedi.

SotME isn't part of continuity. Not to me. If it was then tiresome Halla would be at the academy moving glasses around.

If that is true, then Luke is a major whiner.

17. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    What Killed Vader then, if he's had his hand cut off a million times, then was it's Palpy's electric storm?

18. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Pretty much.UIt shorted out his life support.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not to mention that life support shorting, but that was probably Palpatine's full strength too.

Though, I say the most direct cause of death was the removal of his mask.

Baron Fel beat Vader? I don't think that's possible... It doesn't say that is the EGVV, so it must be in the Making of Baron Fel. But I highly doubt it.

20. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Vader's TIE had a hyperdrive on it.

Mara Jade tells Luke what happened to Vader when he returned to his emperor in the "The Last Command", I think.

21. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Dark Force Rising actually/

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "Baron Fel beat Vader? I don't think that's possible... It doesn't say that is the EGVV, so it must be in the Making of Baron Fel. But I highly doubt it. "
    -----signature-----

The story before that actually,and it was just a rumor.

23. wilde_karrde2002

Jan 9, 2002
    With Darth Vader having his arm/hand cut off so many times, it kinda reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail(excellent dvd, by the way)

Luke cuts Vader's arm off

Luke "Now stand aside worthy adversary."

Vader "'Tis but a scratch."

Luke "A scratch? Your arm's been cut off."

Vader "No it hasn't."

Luke "Then what's that?"

Vader "I've had worse."

24. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Splinter *is* a part of the continuity. Luke actually cut Vader's entire arm off, not just his hand.

TC

25. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Well, if you really want to know the injuries if Darth Vader then go to this site: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/injuries.html

The person that wrote it may have been abit obsessive but he seems to have covered all of the main points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.